How do I quote a reply from above the last reply in a thread?

JudyS

Question

Perhaps this belongs in a new topic, but I would like to be able to respond to a particular post right under that post, rather than at the bottom of the whole thread (like on ning - sorry).  Can there be reply buttons under each post?  Maybe this program doesn't support that format.

8 answers to this question

• Administrators

Thank you Judy. Your were correct that your question really should start a new thread, and so your reply was split off along with subsequent replies into a new thread and moved to the Questions and Answers forum.

When replying to a message within a thread, a member has several options available from which to pick:

1. If you wish simply to add your comments to the end of an existing thread: reply to the topic. See the paragraph after this list for specifics on how to do this.
  2. If you wish to focus your reply on only one reply within the thread: start your reply by using the "Quote" button from within the specific reply that you want to focus on. Your reply will go to the end of the thread, but the selected post will be quoted within your reply inside a "quote box".
  3. If you wish to focus your reply on more than one reply (called "multi-quote") within the thread: first use the "+" button (located at the bottom left of every reply) for each and every reply that you wish to focus on, in the sequence in which to focus if that is important to you; when ready to type your input then click on the little pop-up window that indicates how many quotes you have selected.

There are two ways simply to reply to the thread:

1. Click the "Reply to this topic" button at the top right of the thread.
  2. Start typing in the input box at the very bottom of the thread.

The reply, the editing, and the formatting options within this website are rather advanced and sophisticated. This software uses the latest technology, and sometimes it may seem daunting or overwhelming, but try exploring. Or ask a question in our Questions and Answers forum.

I also agree. I've been confused more than once when someone on .ning was responding to something said by a particular person and that person doesn't show any posts. It leaves you clueless as to what was said to bring on a certain response. 

If you can include the part of the conversation you are responding to, as I am here, doesn't that maintain the integrity of your response. If the other person deletes his/her original comment is it deleted from your response. I had decided that might be an advantage of this forum's software that was not available on Ning.

There obviously still be other flaws to my thinking I haven't considered. It just annoys me to look back at something I have written and seeing a mistake, that makes it difficult to understand my intended meaning, and I can't edit it.

I do agree that the posts should not be deleted. I just want to be able to edit my posts.

Edited by Don Ray

Sorry Don Ray, when I try to copy/paste something there is such a dark grey background you cannot read it.  I was responding to Twin Wolf's post.

I guess I should have used the Quote function when replying to your comment instead of replying to the thread. I am still trying to understand this software too. 

As I read all of this, I am reminded of why I have always used Apple products in lieu of those that use Windows or Android.

I don't want to know how it works.  I don't want to have to dink with it to get it to work.  I just want it to work intuitively and easily.  Please.

• Downvote 2

I guess I should have used the Quote function when replying to your comment instead of replying to the thread. I am still trying to understand this software too. 

Well DUH!  Thanks Don Ray. I never even noticed that trick. Love it!