2nd Great National Day of Reforestation - 80,000 Trees to be Planted

2nd Great National Day of Reforestation

80,000 Trees to be Planted

Saturday 27 August will be the "Second Great National Day of Reforestation" at more than 30 sites in all the provinces, with the purpose of reforesting a million hectares in 20 years.

Plantarán 80 mil árboles

The activity starts from 8:00 am and according to the Minister of the Environment, Mirei Endara, they expect to be planting 80 thousand trees in 80 hectares.

For this year they are producing more than 2 million trees of different species to be reforested at the national level within the framework of the Alliance for a Million Hectares .

This partnership is part of the national strategy for mitigating and adapting to climate change and the national plan for water security 2015-2050.

http://laestrella.com.pa/vida-de-hoy/planeta/plantaran-80-arboles/23955482

• 3 weeks later...

Today is the 2nd annual Gran Dia de Reforestacion in Panama.

In Chiriqui, teams will be planting along the banks of the Rio Chiriqui near Gualaca and also near Volcan

Image result for gran dia nacional de reforestacion panama  Image result for gran dia nacional de reforestacion panama

http://www.miambiente.gob.pa/index.php/2013-02-20-08-59-23/noticias/noticias-de-portada/796-ii-gran-dia-nacional-de-reforestacion

Edited by Keith Woolford

Panama Launches Reforestation Program To Compensate For Canal Expansion

PANAMA CITY, Aug 20 (Bernama) -- The administration of the Panama Canal (ACP) announced on Friday that it has begun a reforestation program covering 83 hectares in the province of Darien to compensate for the recent expansion of the Canal.

China's Xinhua news agency reports that the reforestation is part of a campaign that will re-forest 1,243 hectares nationwide at a cost of US$3 million, the ACP said in a statement.

A total of 937 hectares of land have already been reforested.

"We are very proud of the benefits that the canal expansion has brought to this part of the country, especially as this is the first restoration project by the Canal in Darien," said Ilya Espino de Marotta, the ACP's executive vice-president.

Hermel Lopez, regional director for the Ministry of the Environment, said the project is highly important for the province, given the reduction in its forest cover.

The ACP reforestation program includes planting coffee and cacao trees as well as native species, such as the cocobolo.

The ACP has committed itself to planting two hectares of trees for each hectare which was affected by the canal expansion works.

The initiative will take place over one year of active planting and four more years of maintenance, carried out by local contractors.

According to Panama's National Association for the Conservation of Nature, Panama has lost 65 per cent of its original forest cover due to a deforestation rate of around 20,000 hectares a year.

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v8/wn/newsworld.php?id=1274990

4 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

The artist's name is Kafu Banton.

Keith

You surprised me everyday!!!

You are well informed.  That is Kafu Banton.   A reggae singer from Colon.  

And yes,,, the idea is to get young people concerned/interested about environmental and ecological issues.

A great initiative 

I can't help but think that this is one of those feel good stories that is sorely lacking in good facts. According to the story, Panama is losing 20,000 hectares of forest per year. And then, we celebrate the replacement in trees of roughly 2,000 hectares? And of the trees that are replaced, they are not exclusively native species, but rather coffee and cacao?

Normally, coffee and cacao are not planted on public lands, so I have to conclude that this is primarily to benefit private landowners.

Maybe someone can ferret out some facts about this story that make a little better sense.

I noticed that Volcan is one of the communities that is benefiting from this program. This raises a number of questions for me that perhaps someone can answer. Not trying to be critical of this program, but I AM curious. Some questions, off the top of my head:

Is this program designated strictly for publicly held property, and/or public right of way, or are private properties designated as well?

IF private properties are included, how does one qualify for this program?

What plant species are being designated for specific ecosystems?

IF we we are using locally adapted plants, WHO is growing them?

Are we using native, ornamental, or food producing plants? And which kind, specifically?

Any thoughts?

On 27 de agosto de 2016 at 8:59 AM, Bud said:

Panama has lost 65 per cent of its original forest cover due to a deforestation rate of around 20,000 hectares a year

Perhaps that number is an average, calculated using the 195 years since the founding of Panama, and isn't necessarily the current rate.

There is a lot of information about this program and other environmental issues at this site. http://www.miambiente.gob.pa/index.php/2013-02-20-08-59-23/noticias/noticias-de-portada/796-ii-gran-dia-nacional-de-reforestacion

The stated goal is to reforest is a million hectares in 20 years.

Edited by Keith Woolford

Lofty goals, and I wish them the best of luck. For areas like Boquete and Volcan, I have serious doubts that many reforesters have a real understanding of what plant species have been lost over the years in the highlands, as former forests have turned to pasture, and I have seen very little to give me confidence that these species are even available for re-planting.

Still, good intentions are appreciated.

Chiriqui Achieves Goal and Reforests 600 hectares

The stated goal for this year in the "Alliance for the 1 million hectares," and in this activity 54 hectares were planted in two farms of the Agricultural Sciences Faculty of the University of Panama, located in the district of Chiriqui in the district of David.

During the activity Governor Méndez stressed the importance of preserving the environment, to ensure that "Alliance for the 1 million hectares" is one of the goals of the State so that future generations may enjoy a healthy environment.

The day involved some 600 volunteers who planted approximately 3,800 native seedlings, of forest and timber species.

These points are one of the 30 established for that purpose at the national level.

The regional director of Mi Ambiente, Yilka Aguirre, reported that the Statistics Department of Forestry Mi Ambiente, indicated that so far this year in the regional 600 hectares have been reforested using various forest systems with its technicians, strategic partners, allies, non-governmental organizations and partners.

This priority area is located mostly in the basins of the rivers: Chiriqui, Chiriqui Viejo and Chico.

The program prioritizes the watersheds that have critical areas of soil erosion and deforestation, to enter in the rehabilitation of the current state conducive to medium and long term minimize degradation and therefore control the adverse effects caused by the presence of the phenomenon of El Niño and La Niña, and the negative impacts of climate change.

http://www.panamaon.com/noticias/interior/13221-chiriqui-logra-meta-y-reforesta-600-hectareas.html

18014-media.JPG

Edited by Keith Woolford