Sign in to follow this  
Brundageba

Cash a USA check

Today I got a bonus $50 check refund in the mail from a credit card account I have.  Our primary bank ( Multibank) nor longer cashes USA checks unless it it your own USA bank checking  account.  I guess I'll have to mail the endorsed check to my USA bank account....not wild about flipping an endorsed check in the mail.  Any other experiences like this out there? 

We use Multibank also.  It is in second place on our Love-You/Hate-You list right behind Planet Telecom.  I am still having a difficult time believing that they are charging me extra for being a fur-in-er.  (Yeh, I know, my anger is probably directed at the wrong place.)

Our US bank has a convenient internet deposit feature that you can use by scan from your home computer or from photo on a mobile device.  It's probable that your USA bank does the same since everyone up north lives, eats, and breathes by their smart phone.

If scanning doesn't work, send it with a deposit slip for your account. Just write on the back: For deposit only, account #_________. That insures that no one else can cash it. As I recall, you don't even have to endorse it.

I'll give it a go on mailing it.  Thanks everybody.  Banking down here...the screws slowly slowly tightening....notice?

If scanning doesn't work, send it with a deposit slip for your account. Just write on the back: For deposit only, account #_________. That insures that no one else can cash it. As I recall, you don't even have to endorse it.

"For deposit only" used to work a long time ago when you actually had to make a deposit through a teller.  Now, anything under a certain amount isn't even examined by a human.  Not for indorsement, not for authentic signatures on the front, not for postdating, nada.  Nonetheless, if the check were stolen from the mail and cashed by a stranger, you would still have recourse.

I'll give it a go on mailing it.  Thanks everybody.  Banking down here...the screws slowly slowly tightening....notice?

Alison, as long as the account to which you want it deposited is in the same name as the payee of the check, no indorsement is necessary.  Moreover, if you do indorse it, you basically turn it into cash, and it becomes negotiable by anyone in possession.  Send it to your bank with a deposit slip and no indorsement.

Yah...well I signed the check written to me...handed it to Bill and off to the bank he went and back he came, check in hand.   It is now an endorsed check. White out? ( kidding)

yes, you can cancel an indorsement.  Just strike through it.

Edited by Deborah
  • Upvote 1

My credit union lets me deposit checks online by scanning them.  I did it once, and it worked.  Check your bank's website for that option.

Yes..good idea.  It took so long to get here, and with how slow the mail is getting back, the check might be over 90 days since issue !

Got the check canceled and the $$ re-issued to my account.  Done by phone. Easy

Now that's the smart way to do it. Congrats!