Mandarin Refuses pensionado carnet

Hil

This the second time this happened. In the back hardware department. No questions on item to be discounted. He would not honor the card period. I told him I would report it in David to Aedeco. He laughed at me.

I believe he did not need to ask what was being purchased since nothing in the hardware part of the store qualifies for a discount.   Unless I am misunderstanding, the card is meaningless to him.   I would think the appropriate next step would be talk with the manager or then the owner of the store if in fact there is some item that you feel qualifies.   Before doing so, you need to be clear about which items you were purchasing that qualified for the discount so you can ask about those items specifically.    The card is "honored" for the discount on qualified items, nothing more.   It has no other purpose for a cashier.     

Threatening  ACODECO  is also probably meaningless to the employee.   The discussion needs to happen between you  and the person making policy within the store.   

The items I wanted to purchase are sold in the hardware department and as I said in the original post the item never was in question. They are not limited on what the sell in the back to "hardware" it is just a location.

Maybe I should have been more precise. His exact words to me and he pointed to the card:

"The word "Jubilado" is not on your pensionado carnet and I will not give you a discount."

So, end of story. It never was about the item in the first place. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

He was the manager.

Edited by Hil
not enough info

I remain confused.   For what purpose would you need to have the Pensionado card accepted in this store?   Please be specific Hil so we can understand your plight.   Possibly something that might come under "pharmaceuticals"....?...just guessing. 

The items were personal ( I have a copy of the list in my wallet and use it regularly) and I will not share the items in this forum. As I said all along the Manager said the item was correct but he would NOT honor my carnet because the word "jubilado" was NOT on the card. I do not understand it so I can NOT explain it.

Here is some good that came out of this. I walked right back up the hill to Reyna (were my car was parked )and got both items for half the price Mandarin was asking WITHOUT the discount. So, I didn't even ask for the discount. Amazing.

• Upvote 1

Hilary

Unless the item is listed in the law, there is no discount on it no matter how many pensionado card you present or how many managers you speak to.

This is simple. Now, as a voluntary courtesy, several of the grocery stores offer a 10% discount to pensionados the day the social security checks arrive. This is a promotional effort on their part and doesn't have anything to do with the law.

45 minutes ago, Penny said:

Hilary

Unless the item is listed in the law, there is no discount on it no matter how many pensionado card you present or how many managers you speak to.

This is simple. Now, as a voluntary courtesy, several of the grocery stores offer a 10% discount to pensionados the day the social security checks arrive. This is a promotional effort on their part and doesn't have anything to do with the law.

Penny the items are on the list. I'm not in an uproar over any of this. I was just sharing he would NOT honor the carnet specifically.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Penny said:

Hilary

I'm thinking I got 5% on check day for groceries at Romeros. Could be wrong I didn't save my reciept. I do remember telling my woman that I saved 20 cents!!!!! lolololol

Edited by Hil

Ok People.  Calm down.  I was out for a time and I am back to help you with some issues.   

The LEY No. 6 del 16 de junio de 1987 is a law passed to give some benefits to Pensionados, Jubilados and third and fourth age people in the Republic of Panama.

Article 1:

Panamanians and foreign residents in the territory of Panama with ages of 55 years old or more, if they are females: or 60 years old or more, if they are males and all Jubilados and Pensionados for any reason will enjoy of the benefits of this law.  

It is not textual but I translate the idea.   This mean that even if you are not "formally" a Jubilado or Pensionado but you have the legal age stated for women and men you are entitled to the discounts established in the law.   You will only need to show your Cedula were your age is clearly stated and that is enough as a prove of your third age condition.

In this same article I dont see any mention of discount for purchases of groceries, goods, clothing, etc.  Most of the discounts are mostly for transportation, medical services, medicines, hotels, meals at restaurants, professional services, banking interests, taxes, utilities.

Conclusion:

You dont need a Pensionado or Jubilado card to ask for a discount.  If you have the legal age stated in the law you only have to show your cedula where the information of your age is clearly shown.

On 7/22/2016 at 10:30 PM, Roger B said:

Ok People.  Calm down.  I was out for a time and I am back to help you with some issues.   

The LEY No. 6 del 16 de junio de 1987 is a law passed to give some benefits to Pensionados, Jubilados and third and fourth age people in the Republic of Panama.

Article 1:

Panamanians and foreign residents in the territory of Panama with ages of 55 years old or more, if they are females: or 60 years old or more, if they are males and all Jubilados and Pensionados for any reason will enjoy of the benefits of this law.  

It is not textual but I translate the idea.   This mean that even if you are not "formally" a Jubilado or Pensionado but you have the legal age stated for women and men you are entitled to the discounts established in the law.   You will only need to show your Cedula were your age is clearly stated and that is enough as a prove of your third age condition.

In this same article I dont see any mention of discount for purchases of groceries, goods, clothing, etc.  Most of the discounts are mostly for transportation, medical services, medicines, hotels, meals at restaurants, professional services, banking interests, taxes, utilities.

Conclusion:

You dont need a Pensionado or Jubilado card to ask for a discount.  If you have the legal age stated in the law you only have to show your cedula where the information of your age is clearly shown.

Roger,

I understand and agree with what you write here. Thank you.

However, I suspect some people will misinterpret what you write. I will go into a bit more detail here hopefully to help avoid misunderstandings in the future.

The jubilado discount as defined in the law specifies three conditions for the law to apply:

1. a person must be qualified based on age, or a formal governmental designation as a jubilado
  2. a person must be a citizen or legal resident for the discount to apply
  3. only certain, specified goods or services are covered under the law

Item 1 above is written the way it is because there is an age at which people are considered by law to be jubilados; that age is different for men (age 60) and for women (age 55). Note, however, that the government can (and does) designate certain persons to be a jubilado regardless of their age if they fit certain circumstances. Those circumstances come into play with the government programs that entice retirees to come to Panama and live as a "jubilado retiree". That is a significant and relevant designation for a large segment of the readers of this website because it is fundamental to the jubilado program under which those "jubilados" now legally reside full time in Panama. For instance, a 45 year old male and his wife can apply for "jubilado status" and go through the vetting process. If jubilado status is granted, then they do not get a cedula, but they get a carnet designating them as a jubilado, which also gives them the legal right to live in Panama, and to avoid tourist visas upon entrance into Panama, etc., and all of those other benefits. They can also open bank accounts, etc.

The second item above is part of the requirement for the jubilado discount to apply because there are a lot of tourists who fit the age requirement, but are not legally resident here, and for them the jubilado discount does NOT apply. A tourist of tercera edad can request a jubilado discount at a restaurant, for example, but the restaurant is not obligated to give the discount unless that person is a legal resident of Panama. That means border hoppers who live here for extended periods, but do so without the legal authority to do so, as well as everyday tourists are NOT entitled to a jubilado discount; many may ask for and may get the jubilado discount, but that discount is not an obligation on the part of the business establishment.

I don't need to elaborate on item three above. However, I do believe that part of the discussion (the bantering) in this thread is confusion about the items on which Hil was expecting a jubilado discount to apply. Hil's writing was clear that he was objecting to the outright refusal to even consider a carnet as a valid document, and it was not about the item. Do you see some of the confusion, misinterpretations, and misunderstandings going on in this thread? And Hil opts not to elaborate on the items of his interest, which is his right. His original posting was about the rejection of the carnet, not the discount.

I recommend readers revisit another topic on this same subject at http://www.chiriqui.life/topic/2089-jubilado-discounts/?do=findComment&comment=6448 -- focusing especially on the bottom left of the second page. Print out the ACODECO pamphlet that is available in that posting, and carry it with you in your purse or car. There is a link at the very bottom of that posting, which is the ACODECO brochure in PDF format.

• Upvote 1