I don't have a ning membership any longer so thought it would be helpful to post this here and remind folks to be very careful about virtual notarizations. I noticed on ning that Olga has offered to notarize a document for someone while she is in Florida and the individual in Boquete. She claims that " There are ways of doing that in today's technology times." Some states do allow virtual notarization (not Florida) however, many organizations will not accept them even if from a state where they are allowed. Best to check in advance to see if a virtual notarization, from a state in which they are allowed, will be accepted.

Directly from Florida's Dept of State:

May I notarize a signature without the person being present if another person swears that the person signed the document?

No! The Notary Section receives frequent inquiries about "notarizing a person's signature by subscribing witness." Evidently, some notaries believe that it is permissible to notarize a signature when the person is not present if someone who witnessed the signing of the document appears before the notary and swears that the person actually signed the document. Some states, like California, do, in fact, allow such notarizations, but Florida does not. Misunderstanding may also stem from a section in Florida law that provides a method by which instruments concerning real property may be entitled to recording in Florida when the document signer cannot appear before a notary to acknowledge his or her signature. You may hear this procedure referred to as "proof of execution by subscribing witness."

Not only is a Florida notary not permitted to notarize virtually, they are also not permitted to notarize any document while outside the state of Florida. This is pretty much standard for all notaries in all states, with a few exceptions.

• Upvote 3