2 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

The Mayor told the media that they met, that if there is a discomfort in the community, and they expressed their feelings where there is supposedly little interest, lack of planning on the part of the company, but they are given a vote of confidence in anticipation of a positive response in the coming days.

What the heck does that mean?

The Ma

1 hour ago, TwoSailors said:

What the heck does that mean?

The Mayor told the media that citizens lodged complaints at the meeting about the supposed lack of interest and planning by the contractor, but there is confidence that there will be some positive responses (action) in the next few days.

By the way, I got in and out of town pretty quickly this morning.  Av. Bellisario Porras is paved.and manhole covers are installed.

Edited by Keith Woolford

Double glad to learn about this meeting in Council Chambers and sad to read what the Mayor believes about “little interest” by the community for the water works project.

Reckon this is an example of what my Mom taught me:  If you have a problem or complaint, go talk directly to person who can solve or fix it.

Enough said!

2 hours ago, Marcelyn said:

Double glad to learn about this meeting in Council Chambers and sad to read what the Mayor believes about “little interest” by the community for the water works project.

Reckon this is an example of what my Mom taught me:  If you have a problem or complaint, go talk directly to person who can solve or fix it.

Enough said!

I read this as saying there’s little interest on the part of the construction company, not little interest on the part of the community.

I don’t understand what was accomplished by the meeting that the Mayor couldn’t have accomplished himself. Assuming that the Mayor has been encouraging swifter action all along, were there higher level government officials there to support him and exert some pressure? Meetings rarely are of any use, in my experience, unless they give rise to specific action, as opposed to just talking about issues and perhaps receiving vague assurances and bestowing expressions of confidence which, in this case, are unearned. When is the community going to move beyond “discomfort” to anger and demand of the government that it take whatever steps are necessary to move this project to completion? I honestly just don’t understand it.

Edited by Bonnie

1 hour ago, Bonnie said:

When is the community going to move beyond “discomfort” to anger and demand of the government that it take whatever steps are necessary to move this project to completion? I honestly just don’t understand it.

Our Spanish teacher told us her uncle who owns a major business in Boquete along with several other Panamanian business owners had a heart to heart meeting with the mayor a few months ago. Apparently, not much came out of that meeting either!

I don’t understand what was accomplished by the meeting that the Mayor couldn’t have accomplished himself.

Personally, I think the meeting was a good idea by allowing members of the public to air their complaints and castigate the contractor for hours directly.  

It’s the Mayor who has to take the heat for the contractor’s poor performance even though he’s been on their case for months.

Edited by Keith Woolford

9 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Personally, I think the meeting was a good idea by allowing members of the public to air their complaints and castigate the contractor for hours directly.  

It’s the Mayor who has to take the heat for the contractor’s poor performance even though he’s been on their case for months.

But the contractor isn't local, is it? What does the contractor care about the the discomfort of "members of the public" here in Boquete?

And if the Mayor has "been on their case for months," what does this say about the effectiveness of the Mayor?

Who, exactly, is responsible for overseeing this project, i.e., to whom does the contractor report? As at one time an official or officials from Panama City came to look into things, I assume there's national government involvement.

These are basic questions I've never seen answered; yet, in my opinion, they are at the heart of this fiasco. If anyone has any answers, I invite their input. I realize that we expats can't do much of anything, but just understanding what's going on would be comforting

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, Keith Woolford said:

Ask him, I guess. I've just been re-posting communiques on this issue and a number of other topics from the Alcaldia but it's become more trouble than it's worth.

And we thank you for your postings. You are one of the very few people that actually provides factual information, as opposed to personal opinions. Please do not take the negativity as being directed at you. People are simply frustrated about this matter that seemingly has no end in sight.

3 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Ask him, I guess. I've just been re-posting communiques on this issue and a number of other topics from the Alcaldia but it's become more trouble than it's worth.

Keith:   Thank you for your postings about the Alcaldia and other informational pieces you place on Chiriqui Life. Your participation on this forum is helpful and appreciated. Keep up the good work!

2 hours ago, Moderator_02 said:

And we thank you for your postings. You are one of the very few people that actually provides factual information, as opposed to personal opinions. Please do not take the negativity as being directed at you. People are simply frustrated about this matter that seemingly has no end in sight.

Well said! Good thing we have Keith around here!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

I was reacting to the meeting, not to your reporting of it, Keith. I just think it would help us all understand what's going on if we knew who is in charge, who to hold responsible. As Bud said, the postings simply stir everyone up and make them want to voice their frustrations. I think both the postings and the reactions are good for us.

Edited by Bonnie

5 hours ago, Bonnie said:

I was reacting to the meeting, not to your reporting of it, Keith.

Understood, however the issue is the communications aren't usually what people want to hear, and often prompt more questions than answers.

As I see it, in order for the expat community to be properly informed, a fully bilingual person would have to be involved who has the time and interest to attend and report on, all Council and other special meetings. 

• Upvote 1

Bonnie,    What a great idea to suggest Hank Landis. As you posted, Hank is fully bilingual plus he is an engineer. This sounds like the right qualifications for the role Keith suggested.

Anyone else interested in helping the expat community be properly informed with news from the Alcaldia by posting here in English when Hank is not available?

9 hours ago, Bonnie said:

Good idea. The other warden, Hank Landis, is fully bilingual. I will ask if he can try to get some answers.

I wrote Hank this morning, and he responded right away as follows:

Bonnie,

I was at the meeting on Wednesday discussing the long term destruction of Boquete roads. After four hours of complaints, I can summarize the reason for the disorder is that there is a lack of central directive. There are various corporation contracted and working in a disjointed effort. 

The project engineer painted a picture of utopia: excellent water, project about 90% complete, etc. Which in the opinion of everyone in attendance was far from the truth.

Furthermore, the water distribution lines and sewer collection lines will be done separately. So, we will probably see the disorder for the next few years.

I cannot blame the mayor because he is doing the best he can to make things happen. The mayor has relied on the expertise of the engineers who, in my opinion, have failed to centralize the construction efforts and complete the project in an orderly and timely manner.

Hank Landis
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

How sad to see what is happening.  Even if the town roads were cut off to common traffic ( other than delivery trucks) and a jitney shuttle service take folks in and out, I doubt the situation would improve.  Anything to speed the process of destruction would be a good move.  The report from Henk pretty much tells the tale.  The entire project is disjointed and uncoordinated.  All of us who love this town will endure.  That said, it's horrible for tourism , real estate and businesses....an the poor Mayor who's trying to deal with the flack.

IMO Hank’s reply/analysis of Boquete’s water and sewer project is accurate but discouraging for all of us: “about 90% complete, disorder for the next few years”.

I talked (probably should say listened to) three visitors from Germany and one from Spain earlier this week. Some of their comments were “why would anyone live here with the condition of these bad roads”, “how long for these streets like this”. They talked about being sorry for their visit to Boquete.

Not a good report for our town.

Can expats do anything to help correct this water/sewer project situation?

It would seem that it would serve the contractors well to speed the work along.  My thought was a parking lot on each side of town with jitney shuttle service to the town center.  That said at this point I doubt there is any solution nor any way we could help.  It's just a bad situation we have to endure ....my thought at this point.   Small streets too many cars, too much rain, mud and bad drivers.  Mighty bad combo.

Alison, I like your list of items forming “mighty bad combo”.

Wonder if these things have some influence on why there are several houses for sale —— and not many buyers. “Houses in $500k or less price range are the only ones selling now” is what I am told by contractors I know.

I've heard that next week the entire main street will be closed and all south-bound traffic will be detoured down the back street all the way to the Wilson bridge.

Which leads to another question-- The sewage treatment plant is located near the Wilson bridge. The sewer pipes are apparently following the main road. Last I heard sh** doesn't flow uphill. How will it get up the hill to the Alto Boquete area?

The "river road" is long and extremely rough in large part. Anticipating that this was going to be a detour when work started on Calle Central, it would have made sense to me for the contractor to have paved or at least graded it earlier. The road is a very slow drive as it is now, and traffic is likely to be backed up. There also will be a lot of cars making the left turn, crossing a lane of moving traffic, off the Wilson Bridge road and onto the highway if it's true that this will be the route for southbound traffic. This will be dangerous. It seems to me that the plan ought to be reversed, i.e., northbound traffic headed into Boquete taking the detour, for smoother and safer  traffic.

Av. Belisario Porras was used this week as the entrance road into town from Alto, and I doubt if that will change.

Maybe some of you folks should drive it some time and have a look at what’s been going on if you haven’t been following updates. 

The line from town going down to the waste water treatment plant has been installed for about a year. It’s not going to go up the hill.

On 6/23/2018 at 7:46 AM, Bonnie said:

I wrote Hank this morning, and he responded right away as follows:

Bonnie,

I was at the meeting on Wednesday discussing the long term destruction of Boquete roads. After four hours of complaints, I can summarize the reason for the disorder is that there is a lack of central directive. There are various corporation contracted and working in a disjointed effort. 

The project engineer painted a picture of utopia: excellent water, project about 90% complete, etc. Which in the opinion of everyone in attendance was far from the truth.

Furthermore, the water distribution lines and sewer collection lines will be done separately. So, we will probably see the disorder for the next few years.

I cannot blame the mayor because he is doing the best he can to make things happen. The mayor has relied on the expertise of the engineers who, in my opinion, have failed to centralize the construction efforts and complete the project in an orderly and timely manner.

Hank Landis

I appreciate the Warden’s attendance and report. What beats me is why he had to be prompted to share it. 

• Upvote 1