Kids camp fund raiser

COME PLAY AND SUPPORT OUR LOCAL KIDS CAMP!

Please join the Boquete community in support of Kids Camp!

Volunteers will be hosting an adult scavenger hunt/road rally starting at Senior Gyros June 24th registration begins at 10:30 AM.  We hope to have you all on the hunt starting at 11. Groups must be 2 to 4 people. (We strongly suggest each team/group have a vehicle. You will also need a digital camera , and or a smart phone for taking pictures of clues as found.)
We may be raising money for children but hope with your participation we can bring out the child in each and every one of you.  
The price to play is only 10$ and all proceeds go straight to the Kids camp fund. !!!!!!!
scavenger.png

McKayla:

Please explain to me what the Kids Camp Fund is. 
Who runs it? 
Is it a locally or nationally recognized legal charity? 
Who is the president?  Treasurer? 
How will the money you collect be accounted for? 
Which kids will receive it?
Where is the ''camp?''
When is the camp?
What is the purpose or ''theme'' of the camp?
  • Upvote 1

Those of us who have lived here a while know about the good work of the Santa Lucia Kids Camp. It received money from Bid 4 Boquete for several years, during which process it was carefully vetted. But Fran's point is well taken. There are many, many people who are new to Boquete. Even long-time, legitimate charities should not forget this and therefore should post what population they service, how, their history, and other "bona fides."

• Upvote 2

Why is it ''suspicious'' to require information about a group which solicits cash donations?  Not everyone knows about this organization.  If anything is ''suspicious'', it is a group unwilling to provide information about itself and its purpose. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Franagain said:

Why is it ''suspicious'' to require information about a group which solicits cash donations?  Not everyone knows about this organization.  If anything is ''suspicious'', it is a group unwilling to provide information about itself and its purpose. 

Well said, Fran. I agree 100 percent.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Erin Ross said:

We have supported many many groups here in Boquete.... over 11 years living here.

We cannot remember such a suspicious time.

What is going on?

I think it is Fran's and Bonnie's reminder to groups who are asking for donations to not assume everyone knows about their groups.  The one from Animales about the people replacing Joan James was the worst in this regard.  It assumed everyone knew what Joan did, what Animales does, and did not include a way to donate.  To all the charities:  New people here don't know your history.  Don't worry about being repetitious.  Be clear, tell all, and you will get more donations.  Also take time to scrutinize your postings before firing them off.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Erin Ross said:

We have supported many many groups here in Boquete.... over 11 years living here.

What is going on?

Maybe some of us have been a sucker and gave money just because an organization asked for a donation. Never again. I think we should stop posting these incomplete requests asking for money. If an organization (or person) can't provide the full information ("bona fides"), they don't merit my reading their plea for help. I want to know who these organizations are with a representing person named for additional information, how to contact them, and a report of what/how money was or will be used.

Are all these individual requests for money because Bid 4  Boquete went away?

• Upvote 2

• Administrators

Just a reminder that there is a dedicated forum here on CL for donation requests and fundraising. There are a few words in the description of that forum with the suggested minimum information that should be provided with any request. Here is a link to that forum:

http://www.chiriqui.life/forum/99-donations-fundraising/#

39 minutes ago, Admin_01 said:

Just a reminder that there is a dedicated forum here on CL for donation requests and fundraising. There are a few words in the description of that forum with the suggested minimum information that should be provided with any request. Here is a link to that forum:

http://www.chiriqui.life/forum/99-donations-fundraising/#

I believe, Bud, that the majority of these are coming through News Boquete.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Pat said:

Are all these individual requests for money because Bid 4  Boquete went away?

I believe a lot of the charities that Bid 4 Boquete used to support are really beginning to feel the pinch and have had to learn how to fund raise on their own accord. Maybe in hindsight they are learning that it would have been far easier to give Bid 4 Boquete more support than it is now to try to make up the missing funds.

• Upvote 2

I don't understand why a fundraising announcement posted on News Boquete should include the agency's complete history because it is re-posted on Chiriqui.life. First of all, it is a fundraiser, not a request for donations. Second; it is an agency that has been around for a several years.  Third: if you are suspicious, check it out by all means, but I really do not understand all the negativity. Just because you do not know about a charitable organization who chooses to announce their fund raiser on News Boquete does not mean they need to give a full accounting of who they are and what they do to the readers of Chiriqui.life. Again- the announcement was on News Boquete.

Edited by Phyllis Mc
  • Downvote 2

Most, if not all of the legitimate charity organizations here in Boquete have an online presence - a website or Facebook page - with pertinent information about the organization.  If ''Kid's Camp'' has one, I couldn't find it.

I sent a request for information to the person who sent the announcement to Penny B at NewsBoquete.  I did not receive the courtesy of a reply.

If someone came to your door and asked for a donation without any explanation of what their organization was about or what your donated cash would be used for, would you give them money without asking any questions?  (There are people who would, but I am not one of them.)  If you asked the person how your money would be used and were told ''everybody knows we're honest and good'', is that all you need to hand over your cash?

While I was writing this comment, I did receive a reply to my inquiry.

''Hello. 
I just want you to know that just because this announcement is coming from my email does not mean it's me . I know how to use a computer so they tell me what to write.  If you have any further questions Please check with Alie MacArthur. Sandy Stephens or Bev Hall. 

AND THAT'S THE TRUTH.''
Edited by Franagain
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Phyllis Mc said:

I don't understand why a fundraising announcement posted on News Boquete should include the agency's complete history because it is re-posted on Chiriqui.life. First of all, it is a fundraiser, not a request for donations. Second; it is an agency that has been around for a several years.  Third: if you are suspicious, check it out by all means, but I really do not understand all the negativity. Just because you do not know about a charitable organization who chooses to announce their fund raiser on News Boquete does not mean they need to give a full accounting of who they are and what they do to the readers of Chiriqui.life. Again- the announcement was on News Boquete.

Oops, did you miss the point?

The communications channel used to convey a request is not the important part of these postings. These are public requests for donations (money). Not everyone knows all of the organizations and their prior vetting, if any. Also, organizations change through time.

What is the difference between a fundraiser and a donation? Those result in the same thing, money going from one person to a group.

17 hours ago, Erin Ross said:

Asking for information is not about being suspicious or negative. Transparency is the operative word in today's world.

Everyone is entitled to their acceptable vetting thresholds for giving of resources, whether those resources be time, money, tangible goods, services, or knowledge/experience. For me, as one who does not subscribe to News Boquete, I see those requests here on Chiriqui Life. That's unimportant. Someone is asking for money and we all deserve current information about these organizations. 

Why wouldn't a legitimate requester be willing and able to share this information?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, Franagain said:

<<<part of text deleted here>>>

While I was writing this comment, I did receive a reply to my inquiry.

''Hello. 
I just want you to know that just because this announcement is coming from my email does not mean it's me . I know how to use a computer so they tell me what to write.  If you have any further questions Please check with Alie MacArthur. Sandy Stephens or Bev Hall. 

AND THAT'S THE TRUTH.''

This fund raising (request for money) situation just goes from bad to very bad. Ugh.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

When people don't attach their real name to a communication, they demonstrate a lack of credibility which, imo, is not worth responding to, much less supporting.

My preference is for the 'truthful identity' policy in place on chiriqui.life and Facebook which eliminates shadow boxing.

shadowboxing.jpg

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Upvote 2

I think that if Chiriqui.life does not want fundraising posts such as these unless they include all the information that Fran asks for that they should not be re-posted here by News Boquete. Perhaps you need to take this up with Admin.This will eliminate all the negativity and innuendo directed toward agencies who have done good work in the community, but did not do such a great job posting an announcement for a fund-raiser.   If News Boquete believes a  post is suspicious (asking for money which will not be used for the benefit of the community), they certainly have the right to refuse to post the announcement. Bid for Boquete gave $1,500 to this organization and I assume that they did their due diligence and vetted it. 

This whole interchange makes me very sad indeed.

• Downvote 2

Doesn't matter where the request is posted. If the person or organization is asking for my money they need to answer the W questions (who, when, where, what, why)  so I can make my decision to support or not.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

COME PLAY AND SUPPORT OUR LOCAL KIDS CAMP!

Please join the Boquete community in support of Kids Camp! 
Volunteers will be hosting an adult scavenger hunt/road rally starting at Senior Gyros June 24th registration begins at 10:30 AM.  We hope to have you all on the hunt starting at 11. Groups must be 2 to 4 people. (We strongly suggest each team/group have a vehicle. You will also need a digital camera , and or a smart phone for taking pictures of clues as found.)
We may be raising money for children but hope with your participation we can bring out the child in each and every one of you.  
The price to play is only 10$ and all proceeds go straight to the Kids camp fund. !!!!!!!

for more information , visit our Facebook page

• 3 weeks later...