I can't see that anything is moving forward on the Panamonte Bridge since its inauguration on March 17th. And its construction was first announced back in August. I know this is important principally to those of us living in Jaramillo Arriba and Palo Alto, but I think it also will do wonders for the congested intersection adjacent to the Municipio. Anyone heard anything?

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

President Varela showed off  the design for this bridge last August 26, and the opening/dedication ceremony was on March 17. Then everything stopped, although a tent and some big construction cones were left on site. I am happy to report that I saw some activity there yesterday.

Edited by Bonnie
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/31/2017 at 1:45 PM, JimAndNena said:

Third time's a charm?

Fingers crossed.

boq1970.jpg

boqpost2008.jpg

Is this a current picture of the new bridge?  It doesn't look any higher above the river than the two that washed away.  Is the photo just deceptive?

1 hour ago, Penny said:

Is the new bridge going to be one lane or two lanes?

Personally, I prefer the quaintness of a one lane bridge.

This is the third time you have raised this within this thread, and for the third time I say Boquete traffic now is so heavy that a one-way bridge is impractical. I guess we'll see who the government agrees with. It's too soon to tell.

It's two lanes as was spelled out in this Public Works document and as can be seen in the concept drawing.

C7Iy5eeV0AAw4d0.jpg.e23df7d4ee904e379cc5c6afcf87f24f.jpg

"The superstructure provides two traffic lanes, one in each direction, where the lanes will be of 3.65m wide; it is included in the design sidewalks on both sides, of 1.50 meters wide; railings vehicular type New Jersey, of 0.81m in height, and pedestrian railings with galvanized steel tube, 2-1/2" nominal diameter".

La superestructura contempla dos carriles de circulación, uno en cada sentido, en donde los carriles serán de 3.65metros de ancho; se incluirán en el diseño aceras a ambos lados, de 1.50 metros de ancho; barandales vehiculares tipo New Jersey, de 0.81m de altura, y barandales peatonales con tubo de acero galvanizado, de 2-1/2” de diámetro nominal.

http://www.mop.gob.pa/realizan-reunion-de-homologacion-para-el-diseno-y-construccion-del-puente-vehicular-panamonte-sobre-el-rio-caldera/

Edited by Keith Woolford

Thanks for posting the picture of the new bridge concept.  I'm really looking forward to the new bridge.  I'd love to be able to avoid the potholes as you exit the main bridge.  The new bridge looks to be built for the future, 2 lanes and high enough to not wash away.  As a newbie here, I was not aware that it had washed away twice before.  Being above the floodline seems like a good idea?

7 hours ago, Bonnie said:

This is the third time you have raised this within this thread, and for the third time I say Boquete traffic now is so heavy that a one-way bridge is impractical. I guess we'll see who the government agrees with. It's too soon to tell.

It's a bitch getting old and forgetting past conversations. I thought only the lonely old geezers in town did that.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

The President is reporting that the work is 77% complete.

I don't think so. It looks closer to 50% to me. But it's certainly moving along. I've even noticed them working at night with the aid of spotlights.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...