Incredible change in my dogs fur

Chris McCall

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2015, 9:51:08, Marcelyn said:

Great information about Dr. Tello. Is he the vet that does the perfect work for Doberman ears?

Dottie Atwater (member of CL) is doing an outstanding job with the animal neuter/spay clinic in Volcan.  Hats off to Dottie and all the helpers who put energy into this project. Good Job!

The vet that is world renowned for Doberman ears is Dr. Cadeno in San Jose. I wish we didn't have to crop ears here either but until Panama changes their laws it's the only way to show dogs in this Country. Europe is anti-cropping and Canada is now following suite. Once the US gets on board then I think we will see changes here as well. Who knows when that will happen. 

1 hour ago, KrisDogMom said:

The vet that is world renowned for Doberman ears is Dr. Cadeno in San Jose. I wish we didn't have to crop ears here either but until Panama changes their laws it's the only way to show dogs in this Country. Europe is anti-cropping and Canada is now following suite. Once the US gets on board then I think we will see changes here as well. Who knows when that will happen. 

I know some people are anti-cropping, but I don't like the looks of a beautiful Doberman with "flop ears". Just my opinion.

On 10/26/2015, 9:51:08, Marcelyn said:

Great information about Dr. Tello. Is he the vet that does the perfect work for Doberman ears?

Dottie Atwater (member of CL) is doing an outstanding job with the animal neuter/spay clinic in Volcan.  Hats off to Dottie and all the helpers who put energy into this project. Good Job!

Thanks for the kind words, and no, Dr. Tello does not cut ears or tails. It is VERY cruel.

On 10/25/2015, 10:27:36, Brundageba said:

I purchased some ( expensive  I might add) vet vitamins to augment our rescue dog's diet.  Right now she eats beef, chicken, gizzrads, oatmeal and ground up dry dogfood ( won't touch it otherwise).   My concern was she's not getting entire compliment of vits in that diet.   OK....I have tried every trick to hide that vit I can think of.  She eats the favored treat...then out pops the vitamin.  Sooo now I grind up the vits with the dry dog food and scatter in in to the gravy. Her fur looks better. If I overdo it...she won't eat the food.    One thing I havn't  tried yet on that vit is to smash it into a piece of white bread...then into the meat treat.  I'll have to say those vitamins taste horrible.

She has floppy ears and I am battling ear infections and I'd like to improve her resistance to infection.  Meanwhile I have learned a great deal about ear care from the vet and that should help keep her ears healthy.

An excellent treatment for itchy ears: Mix half and half alcohol and apple cider vinegar (preferably raw). Put about 10cc into each ear, one at a time, and massage the ear well for 10 seconds or so. I think this would also work for yeast in the ears.

8 hours ago, Dottie Atwater said:

Thanks for the kind words, and no, Dr. Tello does not cut ears or tails. It is VERY cruel.

I have been around spaying and cropping ears for over thirty years. I know more than a little about both. 

I don't condone cropping ears. Wish I didn't have to do it. However like I said you cannot show dogs here without. 

But I can tell you from experience that cropping a dogs ears is less invasive than spaying. You can argue this with me all day but the fact is I have lived with many many dogs through both and this is the truth. True that if you have a bad veterinarian you can have disasters with both.  

By you making this statement knowing I crop my dogs ears I take offense in you suggesting that I would be cruel to my dogs. I will always advocate spaying of dog and until the laws change here in Panama I will continue to crop my dogs ears for showing. 

Sorry to have gotten off topic. Enough about ears and back on to raw foods. 

Edited by KrisDogMom

13 minutes ago, KrisDogMom said:

I have been around spaying and cropping ears for over thirty years. I know more than a little about both. 

I don't condone cropping ears. Wish I didn't have to do it. However like I said you cannot show dogs here without. 

But I can tell you from experience that cropping a dogs ears is less invasive than spaying. You can argue this with me all day but the fact is I have lived with many many dogs through both and this is the truth. True that if you have a bad veterinarian you can have disasters with both.  

By you making this statement knowing I crop my dogs ears I take offense in you suggesting that I would be cruel to my dogs. I will always advocate spaying of dog and until the laws change here in Panama I will continue to crop my dogs ears for showing. 

Sorry to have gotten off topic. Enough about ears and back on to raw foods. 

Kris and I have already exchanged private emails about this, and I apologized for my blanket statement. And no, I didn't know she crops ears, so I acknowledge how she could have been offended..

Yes, spaying, while VERY necessary, is more invasive than cropping ears. After all, the vet is going inside the animal.

I, too, wish Kris didn't have to do the cropping, Maybe that will change in Panama, we hope. I saw the picture of the Doberman on this topic with uncropped ears and I think he/she is beautiful! Much more beautiful with intact ears in my opinion.

22 minutes ago, KrisDogMom said:

Like I said for people that aren't used to natural ears once they are around this type for a while it is very appealing. Eventually the laws will change. 

Thanks Dottie

Coincidentally this article on the subject was published a few weeks ago.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/animal-welfare-act-outlaws-animal-ear-cropping-and-tail-docking-1.3301418