Incredible change in my dogs fur

Chris McCall

I visited my sister in California and noticed that her dogs coat felt incredible, soft, smooth, lustrous.  I remarked on it and she said it was because of the food she was feeding her dog.  Vegetables, raw meat and a little dried dog food.  SO I tried it on my dogs it has now been about 3 1/2 weeks and all there coats are incredible.  The Tina cara black dog with short coat was the first to change, she became shinny and soft, Pali my half golden half labs coat is now soft a lustrous, smooth she also used to scratch and chew on her self a lot an now does it about normal.  I cook red bones with carrots, celery, cauliflower, brocile, potatoes, yuca letting it simmer for 5 hours then remove the bones, I serve a cup of the veggie broth with about 2 oz of raw meat and 1/2 cup kirkland twice a day.  At first they ate the carrots and veggies last, but now the gobble is all down.  I cut the meat up into small chunks.  I use the $1.50 a pound beef.

We feed the veggies raw with ground, cooked chicken livers, and 1/2 cup kirkland kibble twice a day. Get the same results with lovely coats and they get all the vitamins and minerals from the veggies being raw. We grind the veggies in the Ninja so they aren't in chunks.

The Kirkland brand kibble is the best sold in Panama.

Edited by JoJo

JoJo:  good technique for getting cats to take their medicine.

I've had luck with mashing a pill and/or wrapping it in scrambled eggs to get him to take what the vet has prescribed.

Whatever works with our four-legged friends, I guess.  Seems like each one requires a different approach. (but they're worth it!)

You can always force it down but I hate to do that to an animal that trusts me. If they think it's a treat, then they are happy to take it. BTW the bacon grease works the best and it's good for their coat. ;o)

I put it on a spoon and push it right into their mouth and it's gone before you can blink. lol

Edited by JoJo
add content

Question?   I cook the veggies with the bones which makes a broth similar to brown stock.  Since I feed the dogs the broth, veggies together do I still loose vitamins and minerals?   Is it correct that raw meat has enzymes in it that are lost in cooking?  Thanks.  BTW I did give the dogs the omega 3 tablets with very little change in their coats compared to the veggie, raw meat, kibble diet.

There is a lot of information on the internet about raw vs cooked. It's not that one is better than the other per se, it's just not necessary to cook veggies and my dogs enjoy the added crunch of the raw veggies. Some veggies lose some nutrients when cooked and other seem to be better. It depends on the veggies. That would require some reading up on which is which.

I think adding the broth they are cooked in is a good idea. We used to cook for our dogs as well. The problem for us was the soft foods aren't that great for their teeth. They needed the raw to help keep those teeth pearly white and plaque free. As our two rescues are getting older I don't like to have them put to sleep to have their teeth cleaned. One of our rescue pets was raised on the streets and had a litter of pups, due to the poor nutrition her teeth aren't in great shape to begin with. She has lost 4 teeth already, so we work with diet and treats that are for cleaning her teeth like Greenies or rawhide dental chews.

I purchased some ( expensive  I might add) vet vitamins to augment our rescue dog's diet.  Right now she eats beef, chicken, gizzrads, oatmeal and ground up dry dogfood ( won't touch it otherwise).   My concern was she's not getting entire compliment of vits in that diet.   OK....I have tried every trick to hide that vit I can think of.  She eats the favored treat...then out pops the vitamin.  Sooo now I grind up the vits with the dry dog food and scatter in in to the gravy. Her fur looks better. If I overdo it...she won't eat the food.    One thing I havn't  tried yet on that vit is to smash it into a piece of white bread...then into the meat treat.  I'll have to say those vitamins taste horrible.

She has floppy ears and I am battling ear infections and I'd like to improve her resistance to infection.  Meanwhile I have learned a great deal about ear care from the vet and that should help keep her ears healthy.

• Upvote 1

I order my dogs vitamins from Puritans Pride in the US. Even with shipping them in using eShop Boquete it's cheaper than the ones here and my dogs think they are a treat.  My dogs are older, so I get the VitaPet Senior with Glucosamine.

I also get Chewable Papaya Enzyme Plus from them for human or pets upset tummies. We grow papaya in our yard, but don't always have ripe ones for this purpose.

Should you determine you wish to order these, here is the website, but don't order the ones in the orange bottle, they fall apart and are just dust in a bottle. The VitaPet is the good ones in the dark brown bottle. They have vitamins for puppies, adults and the adult with Glucosamine.

http://www.puritan.com/pet-vitamins-777?icid=pets-_-right1-_-petvitamins

Dogs cannot abide water in their ears so when bathing them be sure not to get water inside the ear. We use earwipes available at Arrocha in David. It's a disposable wipe from cleaning and deodorizing the ears. My female has floppy ears and her ears get SO dirty all the time too. These work great and I just tear the wipe in half as it's a jumbo size and I don't need to waste it. ^_^

I also make a broth from chicken bones and veges.  When the broth and veges are cooked and separated from the (wing) bones, I put the bones through my blender.  I screen out splinters and larger pieces and have a creamy paste that I add, in small amounts, to feedings.  Daily my three dogs get Bravo dry food, about 1/2 c of canned dog food, an Omega pill, to which I add my homemade broth and a little bit of the bone paste.  Scrambled eggs added on Sundays.  Tuna fish in oil added on Wednesdays.  Cooked beef or chicken livers about 3 times a month.

Well everyone has to make their own choices based on how their dogs feel. My dogs are at a good weight and the small amount of chicken livers mixed in with the raw veggies isn't going to make them fat. It's mostly veggies with chicken liver flavoring. lol

I don't pay much mind to Panamanian Vets. I took my female to one here in David that is supposed to be the best around with an abscessed tooth. I was sold 10 days worth of antibiotics to cure the infection which was fine. The canine tooth was cracked from an accident with a vehicle a few years previous, but this vet refused to pull it, just wanted to clean her teeth. Now I'm sorry, but a broken, rotten at the gum line tooth isn't going to get better with just being cleaned. 

I took her to Dr. Tello at the David clinic and he pulled the tooth and the one next to it as well. He agreed they needed to come out.

She has since had her teeth cleaned at the David clinic by Rosemary and two more teeth needed to be pulled. Having poor nutrition during her formative years and having a litter of pups besides that pulled calcium from her bones and teeth have left her with poor teeth.

The only vet my dogs go to is Dr. Tello. The only one I trust. Everyone has their preference and that's okay. But the horror stories abound with some nicknamed Dr. Death. 

Where is Dr Tello located?   ...and thanks for all the helps from everyone.  Bill and I never owned a dog.  Flossy just appeared at our door one night.  Bill made the "mistake" of feeding her after he was won over by her charms.  Now we are hooked !  She's really sweet.....

Dr. Tello lives and has a vet office in Cuidad Neely, Costa Rica. He is the only vet at the Volcan and David Spay/Neuter Clinics each month though. He is Panamanian and is licensed in Panama as well as Costa Rica. His wife is from Costa Rica and didn't want to move to Panama. 9_9 Speaks some English and is a great vet.  He often has to remove tumors from dogs at the Volcan clinic. See pictures of him here: http://spaypanama-chiriqui.org/88th.html

In some of the earlier clinics there are pictures of other surgeries he's had to perform on animals brought in to be spayed or neutered. He just takes it all in stride and does what needs to be done. Occasionally has to put one down.

Great information about Dr. Tello. Is he the vet that does the perfect work for Doberman ears?

Dottie Atwater (member of CL) is doing an outstanding job with the animal neuter/spay clinic in Volcan.  Hats off to Dottie and all the helpers who put energy into this project. Good Job!

I purchased some ( expensive  I might add) vet vitamins to augment our rescue dog's diet.  Right now she eats beef, chicken, gizzrads, oatmeal and ground up dry dogfood ( won't touch it otherwise).   My concern was she's not getting entire compliment of vits in that diet.   OK....I have tried every trick to hide that vit I can think of.  She eats the favored treat...then out pops the vitamin.  Sooo now I grind up the vits with the dry dog food and scatter in in to the gravy. Her fur looks better. If I overdo it...she won't eat the food.    One thing I havn't  tried yet on that vit is to smash it into a piece of white bread...then into the meat treat.  I'll have to say those vitamins taste horrible.

She has floppy ears and I am battling ear infections and I'd like to improve her resistance to infection.  Meanwhile I have learned a great deal about ear care from the vet and that should help keep her ears healthy.

Most vitamins, either for humans or animals, are synthetic crap. For ears, mix alcohol and apple cider vinegar (preferably raw organic) half and half  and then use a syringe to squirt about 5 to 10 cc into each ear. Massage well. Repeat as necessary.

I buy meat that has a lot of tendons, and cook it in a pressure cooker.  The tendons dissolve and created a  meaty flavored gelatin.   I hide my nasty tasting expensive vitamin I grind up with the Glucosamine and the Omega 3 in there.   The dog we rescued several months ago who walked on 3 legs ...then limped, no longer limps.  Dunno...but she's lookin better.  runs like the wind !!t6m62P.jpg