Thoughts about gringos selling vehicles

How does one stay civil after a comment like the one Chica just made?  It seems to me that the only solution is not to read the drivel because an appropriate reply couldn't be published.  

p..s. Chica needs a new handle.  The one she is using doesn't match her photo.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Cowboy Dave and Keith provide a vital service, especially to newcomers that speak little Spanish.  We bought a car from Dave shortly after we arrived and Keith handled the paperwork transfer, things I would have been loath to do at the time.  Keith has also provided me with good advice, free of charge, about vehicle importing from C. R.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Chica I'm onside with you on most things, and it tees me off the see gringos without documentation waltz into Chiriqui taking opportunities away from Panamanians.

On this one though I defer. There was no market before gringos came. They have specific requirements needing specific skills and technical and language assistance. Knowing the local market for these types of vehicles is essential, and it's almost completely within the gringo community.

Keith in particular carries it a step farther by providing the expat populace with diverse and comprehensive knowledge of relevant information and issues.

I hope Panamanians develop the ability to compete. I would use them first without hesitation.

Lynnie has been singing this song for a long time. The truth is that anyone who knows Keith, or has used his services can attest to how helpful he has been.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is, that if you polled people who have done business with Keith, you would likely find some pretty happy people.

Go ahead, Lynnie - call me a pain in the ass again.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 10/22/2015, 8:04:54, Chica de Chiriqui said:

Woody, have you something against someone having their own personal opinion?  I am simply tired of Panamanians being taken advantage of for their kind nature. That's what you refer to as drivel? 

There was a congratulation for planet telecom for discontinuing their sponsorship of ning's bad practices.  A discussion about having ethical values was part of that talk.  Continuing to sponsor ning was seen as a bad light.

• Downvote 1

One big problem with used local automobiles is how they were used, and used, and used...without being maintained.   Keith sells cars for foreigners who are selling them...at least quite a good % of the stock.  I assume that's true of Cowboy.  These expats selling their cars to these two guys are more likely to have maintained their vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2015, 5:49:37, Brundageba said:

ahhh...be kind to Lynnie, she has the local interest at heart.   I agree...with you on Keith.   He provides a service niche that is lacking here.  He knows his cars...as does Cowboy.   A local used car in a local used car lot may well be a car you will regret buying.  

Yes, Alison, you are correct, I do have the interest of local people at heart.  When I dare to express that they should be paid more, I am demonized, as well.  My bad.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I am flabbergasted. We live in a global economy. People and corporations are moving all over the world. Are they all hurting the locals or is it improving lives all over the world? More Mexicans are returning to Mexico than immigrating to the US. Think people. There were very few car sales here before and who is repairing those cars now?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Years ago when the Tuesday meetings were at the Hotel Fundadore, a Panama City Atty. (Mayra I think) explained the pensionado program was extended to non Panamanians to entice the expats in Panama to stay after the canal handover.  It has been unmolested ever since. These expats are here paying for goods and services that go in a very large part to locals. Also much higher tax revenues. The tax on materials on a $200,000 structure is $14,000 for example, not to mention jobs provided. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jim Tosch said:

I am flabbergasted. We live in a global economy. People and corporations are moving all over the world. Are they all hurting the locals or is it improving lives all over the world? More Mexicans are returning to Mexico than immigrating to the US. Think people. There were very few car sales here before and who is repairing those cars now?

I agree, Jim. Everything is about globalization now, with all its attendant problems. It'll take a few years to work itself out, but we'll all be better off, in my opinion. I honestly don't understand  people who relate everything to a particular culture or country--or, worse yet, wallow in nostalgia about the pre-globalization days. It's amazing to me that few if any people recognize on these forums the beneficial changes expats have brought to Panama. Everybody's too busy apologizing for being a gringo, guiltily proclaiming that we're mere guests in the country. While living here makes our lives richer, we bring a lot to Panama in return. All over the world, we're all in this together.

Edited by Bonnie
  • Upvote 1