Vehicle crash statistics (johnf13 explained why they're not accidents) continue to be terrifying. So far this year nearly 200 people have lost their lives in roadway carnage.

It's so very obvious that many drivers totally ignore traffic regulations, if in fact they know them at all.

This event took place a short while ago this afternoon on the Via Volcan. The driver of the sedan (no airbags), which was obviously driving on the wrong side of the road, was taken to hospital by ambulance.

Cjuqy5XXEAAB325.jpg

CjuV1d6W0AApbOJ.jpg

Important to drive defensively and be prepared for the unexpected.

These are stats of Transit Police charges during the first 3 weeks of May, 2016.

Infracciones a nivel nacional

Edited by Keith Woolford

Keith & JohnF13

On of the largest statistics of death in Panama are not caused by severe illness or any tropical exotic disease, not by cancer or cardiac diseases.   The traffic accidents accounts for one the highest cause of deaths in Panama.  

I always tell me wife, sons and daughter that I trust the way they drive but not other people's driving skills or attitude.  So I always preach them about "defensive driving".   I take extreme precautions on weekend nights where the amount of drunk driving people are high.  I also keep myself on guard against taxi drivers, bus drivers that thinks they own the roads for themselves.  

So.  When driving keep your six senses....yes, six, on your driving. 

Maybe someone could offer a "defensive driving" class.

I think the taxi drivers and bus drivers are the very worst; like they own the road.

We have a two way street to our house, but countless drivers travel in the middle and look surprised when meeting another vehicle coming in the opposite direction. Sometimes I wonder if these folks even have a license or know how to use a steering wheel. Small wonder why so many cars around town have dents and scratches.

Thanks to Keith, RogerB and others for their postings on this subject. The topic of highway safety is something that affects all of us.

We prefer to drive rather than fly when going to PC because it is cheaper and we also have a large cargo area in our SUV for our stops at Riba Smith, etc. The downsides are the time to drive and the risk of accident while traveling.

We have a dashcam to record our travels, but that has zero impact on reducing risk; it only documents what transpires. We frequently see drivers taking risks. Maybe I should post some of the dashcam clips of those near "accidents"?

Marcelyn periodically forwards information to me on highway incidents. Generally speaking, it is not good news because it is about bad things that have happened. We have been programmed to believe that bad things is "news"; good things is not "news". It is good to keep this subject in the foreground, however -- for our own safety.

Below are two more links about "accidents". One distressing thing is that we are not even halfway through the year and 186 people have died so far this year because of accidents/crashes. That is more than one per day. Ouch. :(

When do things start improving?

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/two-traffic-deaths-in-chiriqui-bring-total-to-186

Two traffic deaths in Chiriqui bring total to 186.

THE SLAUGHTER on Panama highways continues unabated. and in less than six months 186 people have died in traffic accidents and hundreds more have been injured, many seriously, including loss of limbs.

Tomas Sanchez a 72-year-old farmer was killed on Friday May 20 in a collision on the Pan American Highway at Varital in Boqueron, Chiriqui, when his pickup truck was involved in a collision with a sedan. He was taken to the Rafael Hernandez Hospital in where he died some four hours after the accident.

A second PanAm highway accident in Chiriqui claimed the life of Norberto Ismael Gonzalez Navarro, 20 in Veladero, in the district of Tole, in the east of the province. He was driving a pickup carrying bananas and vegetables.

The two deaths brought the Chiriqui total for the year to 39.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/10-vehicle-crash-injures-13

10 vehicle crash injures 13

THIRTEEN PEOPLE were injured in a 10 vehicle pileup AT Loma Cova on the highway between the Bridge of the Americas and Arraiján on Friday  May 27.

Two of the vehicles were buses and one of the cars involved ended up on top of the barrier that divides the four lanes of the highway.

The accident  at 9.30 am, seriously aggravated the normally severe traffic jams in the area, compounded by pay-day shoppers.

The current highway is expected to be widened to eight lanes, and later traffic will be eased by the building of the fourth bridge across the canal and the construction of Metro line 3 by a Japan backed company- a deal recently signed by President Juan Carlos Navarro.

The accident is under investigation.

In its simplest form, defensive driving has two parts, being always aware of your surroundings and being ready to act when something untowards is going to happen.

when I went on my first Police driving course we had to talk continually while driving.  Commenting on road conditions, traffic signs, intersections, other traffic in relation to my vehicle.  We also needed to be aware of the vehicle we were driving, our speed, road positioning, engine temperature, pretty much everything about our vehicle and the envelope around it that could affect us.

It sticks with me today but is something that cannot be taught in a couple of hours.  But, if we go back to basics you can avoid most collisions.

First, toss the cell phone in the trunk.  You dont need it to drive, trust me on this.

Next, before even starting your car, make sure you are comfortable in your seat, allof your mirrors are adjusted properly and know where all of your control buttons are.  Sounds a bit daft, but I have been to colilisions caused by a person looking for the windshield wiper switch....

Fasten your seatbelt up BEFORE starting your car - not when you are driving down the road or when you see the police check sign.  About police checks, don't fumble to get your wallet out while your car is moving, wait until you are stopped.  

When driving, always look around for things that can cause you a problem, whether it be a bus pulling out from the side of the road or another vehicle crossing in front of you because the driver thought he had the time to make it safely.  

There are two versions of safe driving, one is highway driving and the other is the rest - city or local driving.  They require the same level of awareness but present different problems.  I will leave highway driving alone for now, let's think about city driving.  We all know that most Panamanian vehicles come without turn signals, so you need to be able to read signs instead - is the vehicle coming towards you slowing down?  Is there an intersection close?  Has the other vehicle moved to either side of the road?  Any or all of these can be an indicator of an unexpected turn, watch out for them and be prepared to brake or take avoidance measures.  Remember, ( as far as I have seen anyway) that driving here is considered a macho sport, forcing your way into traffic or making a turn and just missing the oncoming vehicle are considered badges of honour.  Again, be prepared.  ALWAYS look for an escape route even if it is an off-road option.

Last thing, 'cause I'm probably boring you by now.  I find it very helpful to have my co-pilot with me when in downtown wherever.  She lets me know about dangers she sees that I might have missed.  Some might call that nagging, but if it saves your Prado from a dent, then what's the harm?

Safe driving folks.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Marcelyn said:

Maybe someone could offer a "defensive driving" class.

I think the taxi drivers and bus drivers are the very worst; like they own the road.

We have a two way street to our house, but countless drivers travel in the middle and look surprised when meeting another vehicle coming in the opposite direction. Sometimes I wonder if these folks even have a license or know how to use a steering wheel. Small wonder why so many cars around town have dents and scratches.

Marcelyn

Have you ever seen that most taxis have their trunk or rear always showing signs of crash?  It is so because they tend to stop suddenly when someone request their service at the street.  So I always tell my wife to be extremely careful and pay attention when driving behind a taxi.  

7 hours ago, Bud said:

We have a dashcam to record our travels, but that has zero impact on reducing risk; it only documents what transpires. We frequently see drivers taking risks. Maybe I should post some of the dashcam clips of those near "accidents"?

When do things start improving?

Bud

I do have a dash cam to but as you say it only helps you to record any incident that needs to be documented with the judge in case of any accident.  It doesnt help to prevent accidents.  

People drive like crazy and looks like they are always in a hurry and that is why we have a lot of accidents.  According to statistics the accidents with fatal consecuences are caused by:  Driving under the influence of alcohol,  and speeding or manejo desordenado, wreckless driving??

Authorities are alarmed because of those statistics.  In Panama City transit police are very stricts.  They have retenes or road blockades almost every weekends to control people driving drunk and let me tell you that the amount of people caught is unbelievable.  They started campaigns in TV and Radio and also on the schools about Vial Education.  The fines and the drivers license restriction will be enforced very soon.  Unfortunatelly people only understand the hard way.  So there is a combination of strict law enforcement and higher fines with education and prevention.  Let see how it goes.

Roger: yes, people do drive like crazy. In the US where I lived I said individuals (especially the BMW and Acura owners) "drove like their hair was on fire". The Mercedes drivers were a bit more cautious.

I never left my vehicle in a mall parking lot. Here in Panama I always walk around and check my car before driving away from where it's been left for anytime. Reason is to monitor for damage but mainly (per my policeman friend) to make certain no one is hiding nearby. Someday I'll tell you a scary story about how a bad guy destroyed two of my car tires then waited for me to return. That was close! 

I have heard that driving in Mexico City is also such an adventure.   I have never been there so I dont know what to say.

Anyways in Panama City we have Daddy's boys with european cars and modified cars and becoming at night "Fast and Furious". Competing each other in some streets.  The police department did an operation a couple of months ago and fined them and impounded their cars.    

Roger:. The last time we were in Panama City I noticed several motor scooters. I can appreciate why people drive these things but they zoom in between lanes of traffic and around cars stopped at intersections. Another set of problems I think.

19 hours ago, Roger B said:

Marcelyn

Have you ever seen that most taxis have their trunk or rear always showing signs of crash?  It is so because they tend to stop suddenly when someone request their service at the street.  So I always tell my wife to be extremely careful and pay attention when driving behind a taxi.  

In California a fairly common practice is for a car to stop suddenly causing a following vehicle to crash into them. Then a robbery occurs when the driver of the second car exits to check for damages. This happened to my sister-in-law in San Francisco. Smart lady decided to remain in her car and to hurryingly drive away with a dent in the front fender and so avoided a worse situation.

This photo was just posted on Twitter and is typical of the unforeseen dangers out there.

Who would think a truck with 37,000 litres of gasoline would run aground on a bridge abuttment and catch fire ?

The report says that Bomberos were able to extinguish the fire. Took place near Remedios.

Cj3f2iDVAAEuvsv.jpg

11 hours ago, Roger B said:

I have heard that driving in Mexico City is also such an adventure.   I have never been there so I dont know what to say.

Anyways in Panama City we have Daddy's boys with european cars and modified cars and becoming at night "Fast and Furious". Competing each other in some streets.  The police department did an operation a couple of months ago and fined them and impounded their cars.    

Driving in San José, Costa Rica for 10 years was no picnic either  ..actually it was good training for here.

People there who were polite to a T on the street became animals when they got behind the wheel. This behaviour was excused by Costaricenses because there was "no culture for driving" yet.  I preferred to think that it was a relatively new sport and the rules were still vague.

In Medellin we noticed that people drive fast, but they're skilled and know the rules. Many motorbikes, often ten or more at a stoplight. and lots of women operators, some wearing high heels.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Marcelyn said:

Roger:. The last time we were in Panama City I noticed several motor scooters. I can appreciate why people drive these things but they zoom in between lanes of traffic and around cars stopped at intersections. Another set of problems I think.

Marcelyn

Last night there was in the TV News a note talking about those scooters. Specially those used for delivery of food: like pizzas, McDonalds, KFC, etc. They account for at large amount of car accidents in Panama City. Authorities are looking to do something about this.

Roger: It would be good if the authorities initiated a traffic rule for these scooters that would be applied in all parts of Panama. Personally, I'm wondering when these scooters will become more frequently used in Boquete.

A suggested law would be that scooter drivers must follow the same rules as cars. This might reduce the "nuisance" value of these vehicles.

5 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

This photo was just posted on Twitter and is typical of the unforeseen dangers out there.

Who would think a truck with 37,000 litres of gasoline would run aground on a bridge abuttment and catch fire ?

The report says that Bomberos were able to extinguish the fire. Took place near Remedios.

This article and picture caused me to reflect on an incident I was a witness to many decades ago. As I was exiting a filling station (in California, as I was being re-stationed from San Diego to Key West), I saw in the rear view mirror the filing station explode and go up in flames after a big boom that shook my VW doodle bug. I later read that apparently someone had stopped to fill up while smoking a cigarette. I do not recall how many people were killed. Fortunately for me it was [immediately, but still after] departing the area. Just a matter of good timing or I wouldn't be here to write this.

I really can envision how dangerous this Remedios truck incident was, or imagine how dangerous it could have been.

3 hours ago, Marcelyn said:

Keith: Just wondering if recent road construction could be the reason for this accident. Road signs don't always follow construction in a timely fashion here in Panama.

The bridge appears to be a completed structure and a light standard is visible close by. It's hard to say about signage.

In any case, it's up to the individual driver to recognize and adapt to prevalent conditions.

Looks to me like a case of 'driving while distracted', either electronically by texting, or just being asleep at the wheel.