Just reporting a tweet sent out.  If my translating skills are decent, apparently all the effort and energy and time and money spent on community/area security has been well spent.

Reten_Chiriqui (@RetenChiriqui) tweeted at 7:32 AM on Mon, May 30, 2016:

Hoy, se llega a #60 días sin homicidios en #Chiriquí, al parecer las acciones que desarrolla las autoridades y policía esta funcionando.

(https://twitter.com/RetenChiriqui/status/737260517446799360?s=02)

Edited by Admin_01
converted the Tweet reference into a hotlink

A Google automated translation of the Tweet results in:

Today, you get to 60 days without homicides in Chiriqui, apparently the actions developed by the authorities and police are working.

I still can't understand why our authorities in Panama measure their criminal activity efforts only showing the reduction in homicides.    I am glad that homicides are lower everyday but what about robbery and other crimes.

• Upvote 1

On 5/30/2016 at 9:30 AM, Pederhaney said:

Just reporting a tweet sent out.  If my translating skills are decent, apparently all the effort and energy and time and money spent on community/area security has been well spent.

Reten_Chiriqui (@RetenChiriqui) tweeted at 7:32 AM on Mon, May 30, 2016:

Hoy, se llega a #60 días sin homicidios en #Chiriquí, al parecer las acciones que desarrolla las autoridades y policía esta funcionando.

(https://twitter.com/RetenChiriqui/status/737260517446799360?s=02)

Well, that didn't last long.

One of three men who apparently had been poisoned was found dead down in Remedios on Thursday.

http://elsiglo.com/cronica-roja/extranjera-entro-casa-intoxico-tres-senores/23943756

Last night a Taxi driver was murdered in El Valle de Las Lomas just outside of David.

He was killed in the same Taxi cab in the same area as another Taxista just last November , only seven months ago.

http://www.tvn-2.com/nacionales/provincias/Asesinan-taxista-Chiriqui-autoridades-investigan_0_4498800111.html

Edited by Keith Woolford

On 5/30/2016 at 2:50 PM, Pederhaney said:

Those may also be down.  At least any news/bochinche has not been evident recently, at least in  Chiriqui.  

The majority of the "bad" news is around traffic accidents/injuries/deaths.

Well let me contribute to the news then.  On Sat, June 4, someone (s) walked into my house when I was home and stole my wedding ring, my Kindle Fire, and my husband's passport (all reported, de-activated, and cancelled). A quick, silent snatch and grab.  I had left the gate unlocked (which I never do, but it was for the gardener who was supposed to be on his way).  The gardener was sick, however, and never showed up, but the robber did sometime later.  I am just grateful it was the snatch and grab guys and not the guns and knives guys.  I'm also grateful I had my own passport in my purse, so it wasn't stolen.

Edited by JudyS

Judy, I'm sorry this happened. You and Sam deserve better. Please be extra careful. This person(s) may return.

My friend experienced three separate robberies by the same person, someone who lived in her neighborhood until she "waited" for him at the front door to "fix" the problem. That young man is in prison for a long time.

4 hours ago, Marcelyn said:

Judy, I'm sorry this happened. You and Sam deserve better. Please be extra careful. This person(s) may return.

My friend experienced three separate robberies by the same person, someone who lived in her neighborhood until she "waited" for him at the front door to "fix" the problem. That young man is in prison for a long time.

Thanks for that warning Marcelyn.  I thought about that, since they have now seen what is in my house and might put more effort into stealing the rest.  I will never leave the gate unlocked for anybody again (been doing this for 12 years, never a problem).  They will just have to wait outside until I let them in.

9 hours ago, JudyS said:

Well let me contribute to the news then.  On Sat, June 4, someone (s) walked into my house when I was home and stole my wedding ring, my Kindle Fire, and my husband's passport (all reported, de-activated, and cancelled). A quick, silent snatch and grab.  I had left the gate unlocked (which I never do, but it was for the gardener who was supposed to be on his way).  The gardener was sick, however, and never showed up, but the robber did sometime later.  I am just grateful it was the snatch and grab guys and not the guns and knives guys.  I'm also grateful I had my own passport in my purse, so it wasn't stolen.

" The gardener was sick, however, and never showed up, but the robber did sometime later. "

An interesting coincidence.

That was my first thought when I read this sad piece of news from Judy.  I now hope the gardener doesn't leave the gate open when he/she is working.  Seems as if anyone else were 'watching', they would know that the gate is always locked and given up long before this event. Not the easiest place to access either.  

1 hour ago, Pederhaney said:

That was my first thought when I read this sad piece of news from Judy.  I now hope the gardener doesn't leave the gate open when he/she is working.  Seems as if anyone else were 'watching', they would know that the gate is always locked and given up long before this event. Not the easiest place to access either.  

These gardeners have worked for me for over a year.  They have been very honest and reliable.  I do not suspect them of the theft.  I live by a public sendero where many people walk to town.  It could have been anybody.

There are a number of reports on Twitter that a gang-related hit in the El Sapo area of David this afternoon went wrong and the 5 year old daughter of the intended victim was killed. Maricelin Martinez RIP

CkixDaNUoAI8gFi.jpg

The Ministry has allowed the media to publish the name of the suspected killer who is being sought, a certain "Juan Frito" of the "Kelly Difrock" gang.

Edited by Keith Woolford

With the exception of the original post that started this topic, everything else is unsettling at best.

Re Judy's incident, color me naïve or ignorant (perhaps both), but what good would a passport be for a robber? Is there an aftermarket for passports?

I am especially saddened at the loss of a child. Any killing is bad, but an innocent child?!

More naïveté on my part: Are gangs that much of an issue in Panama? In Chiriqui? In Boquete? It would appear so from this topic: 170 police raiding 20 sites for gangs, guns, and more? All in the David area. And 250 gang members arrested so far this year. Where have I been? Obviously not reading the news.

Even more puzzling Bud is what use would they have for the bag of empty cat food cans they stole from the recycle bin?  I think these were kids.  Perhaps supervised by an adult.  Passports are stolen all over the world, and there is a market in fake passports.  Maybe somebody skilled can doctor the stolen ones and re-sell them.

5-year-old killed in gang battle crossfire

Posted on June 10, 2016 in Panama

kid-and-man-620x264.jpg
Post Views: 66

A FIVE-YEAR-OLD  girl died Thursday June 9  after being  shot  in the head when caught in the crossfire between  two vehicles during   what was believed an attempted gangland revenge killing.

The incident took place in the afternoon in the city of David, in Chiriqui province, near the Balbuena gas-station on the Trans-America highway.

Also shot and wounded was a relative of the child, who was on board one of the vehicles involved in the exchange of gunfire. He was presumed to be the target and  was identified as Alberto Martinez Austin, who  was transferred to the  Rafael Hernandez Social Security  Hospital in David  where he was hospitalized.

Police sources said Martinez had just got out of jail, where he had been serving time for racketeering. The gangs which were involved have been identified as The Frog, and Kill The Frog, which operate in the slums of David.

The girl was taken to a private clinic in the area, where doctors certified her death.

Police are engaged in a widespread search for the killer. On Friday, June 10,   President Juan Carlos Varela visited the girl’s mother.

At a press conference in David  he said that, an extra 150 police would be drafted in from Panama to assist the operation.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/5-year-old-killed-gang-battle-crossfire

On 6/10/2016 at 6:04 AM, JudyS said:

Even more puzzling Bud is what use would they have for the bag of empty cat food cans they stole from the recycle bin?  I think these were kids.  Perhaps supervised by an adult.  Passports are stolen all over the world, and there is a market in fake passports.  Maybe somebody skilled can doctor the stolen ones and re-sell them.

A bag of empty cat food cans stolen from your recycle bin? I'm waiting to hear the rest of this story. ?

Heavy police presence at 5-year-old’s funeral

Posted on June 12, 2016 in Panama

dead-girl-620x264.jpg
A young relative says goodbye
Post Views: 27

UNDER HEAVY  police security, family, friends and acquaintances attended the funeral  of five year old Maricel Castillo Martinez on Saturday June 11.

She was the latest victim of  increasing Chiriqui gang warfare.

Motorized lynxes, (armed motor-cycle cops armed with automatic rifles) police on foot and even covert investigative units, were on hand for the service in the packed Lomas Adventist Church and for the funeral that followed in the Las Lomas cemetery.

Maricel was killed  inside a car in David, Chiriqui  on Thursday, June 9 when allegedly members of the band Los Carne Frita, tried to kill her father  Javier Martinez Caballero  recently released from prison.

He was wounded and hospitalized, but his daughter died in a hail of bullets, fired from another vehicle. His wife, who was later visited by President Juan Carlos Varela, was uninjured.

Chiriqui has been the scene of multiple killings and rising violent  crime rates including home invasions with retirees as victims  during the  last year.

Varela at a press conference held the day  after the death of the young girl, promised increased police support for the region.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/heavy-police-presence-5-year-olds-funeral

• 1 year later...
On 6/5/2016 at 9:01 AM, Keith Woolford said:

Last night a Taxi driver was murdered in El Valle de Las Lomas just outside of David.

He was killed in the same Taxi cab in the same area as another Taxista just last November , only seven months ago.

http://www.tvn-2.com/nacionales/provincias/Asesinan-taxista-Chiriqui-autoridades-investigan_0_4498800111.html

There was a conviction by a jury of 6 women and 2 men in this case on Monday and the killer was sentenced to a total of 30 years in prison, 18 for the murder and 12 for theft.

martes 26 septiembre , 2017

30 años para “Cholito” por crimen de taxista en Chiriquí

Una condena de 30 años fue impuesta a Alberto Urriola alías “Cholito”, por el robo y crimen del taxista Arístides Guerra Montenegro, quién fue asesinado en el año 2015 cuando su cuerpo fue encontrado en una finca en la comunidad de El Valle de Las Lomas en Chiriquí.

El fiscal Humberto Rodríguez Batista coordinador de la Sección de Homicidios y Femicidios del Ministerio Público, indicó que la condena estableció 18 años por el delito homicidio y 12 por el del delito de robo.

Urriola, fue encontrado culpable por un Tribunal de Conciencia compuesto por seis mujeres y dos hombres, quienes luego de escuchar los argumentos del fiscal Rodríguez, a través del uso de pruebas testimoniales, periciales y documentales logró probar la responsabilidad del condenado.

Los hechos de esta causa penal se registraron el 24 de noviembre del 2015, cuando el cuerpo del occiso, fue encontrado cercano a una finca con una herida penetrante por proyectil de arma de fuego en el área occipital de la cabeza, después de haberle despojado de sus pertenencias, entre ellas el vehículo (taxi), el cual utilizaba para laborar diariamente.

B. Caballero