Horrific case of Animal Cruelty

A dog who was rescued in Boquete and adopted by a loving family in Tinajas was beaten to death by a neighbour on Wednesday. This is a particularly sad story but I felt it should be shared because the Corregedor is being forced to act under the Cruelty to Animals legislation.

http://www.panamaamerica.com.pa/provincias/vecino-mata-perro-luego-de-una-pelea-entre-canes-1027986

From what I understand, the Corregedor asked the familly the value of the dog as if it was a settlement for livestock. The family stated they don't want to be reimbursed for their pet, they want justice to be administered to the offender, who also happens to be a cousin. 

Sounds like the Corregedor may not know the law, Dottie, or just doesn't want to enforce it. Hope the family holds firm in seeking justice administered to the offender.

A cousin? Would be removed from my family immediately for doing such a horrible and cowardly thing as beating this dog to death.

The "value" of the dog? Get real! If the corregedor doesn't know the law, someone should provide a copy to him/her, and make sure the maximum penalty is applied to the perpetrator. If the corregedor doesn't enforce the law, then go to the mayor, who is the boss of the corregedor.

(Just in case someone needs a copy of the law, I'll be happy to upload it here in both English and Spanish.)

4 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

A dog who was rescued in Boquete and adopted by a loving family in Tinajas was beaten to death by a neighbour on Wednesday. This is a particularly sad story but I felt it should be shared because the Corregedor is being forced to act under the Cruelty to Animals legislation.

http://www.panamaamerica.com.pa/provincias/vecino-mata-perro-luego-de-una-pelea-entre-canes-1027986

Does anybody know which dog that is?  It looks like Fula, but I don't have her listed as adopted.  I wish somebody would beat that guy to death.  What a horrible sad picture of that dog.

32 minutes ago, Bonnie said:

Where is Tinajas? I know it's nearby and that I've seen it, and I can't find it on my Panama map. What district is it in?

West of Los Anastacios on the road to the PanAmerican Highway. 

I will translate the article this evening.

Edited by Keith Woolford

31 minutes ago, MarieElaine said:

Only sociopaths beat animals to death.  I am not looking at this picture because images like these stay with me forever.  Someone should look into the sanity of this sick person.

31 minutes ago, MarieElaine said:

Only sociopaths beat animals to death.  I am not looking at this picture because images like these stay with me forever.  Someone should look into the sanity of this sick person.

I agree!  This person is dangerous!

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Dottie Atwater said:

The "value" of the dog? Get real! If the corregedor doesn't know the law, someone should provide a copy to him/her, and make sure the maximum penalty is applied to the perpetrator. If the corregedor doesn't enforce the law, then go to the mayor, who is the boss of the corregedor.

(Just in case someone needs a copy of the law, I'll be happy to upload it here in both English and Spanish.)

Dottie, if you send that document (both Spanish and English versions) to me then I will place it in this forum as a pinned resource. 

6 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

This is the best translation I can provide.

Neighbor kills pet after a dog fight

The owner of a canine made a denuncia this Thursday morning as her neighbor killed her dog, after a fight between it and that of the aggressor, which caused has psychological damage to her family.

Ana Pitty, owner of the dead pet stated that her dog lost his life after being beaten by her neighbor who is also a cousin.

She assured that the aggressor became angry when he saw his dog fighting with hers; however he chased her pet gbeating it until it was virtually without life.

The act occurred in the community of Tinajas  on Wednesday afternoon. The complaint was filed with the authorities of the Corregiduria of Los Anastacios in Dolega; however the Corregidor requested an amount of the price that could be attached to the animal, whereby the family made it clear they will not be looking to make a profit with the pet or to obtain benefits since it is not a livestock, they ask only that there be justice.

According to the owner the animal had been rescued from the streets of Boquete some two years ago after having been wandering for a long time, so that caring for him brought unique and unconditional love. They do not understand how someone can go against an animal when they become the most faithful friends of the human being.

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Pat said:

Sounds like the Corregedor may not know the law, Dottie, or just doesn't want to enforce it. Hope the family holds firm in seeking justice administered to the offender.

A cousin? Would be removed from my family immediately for doing such a horrible and cowardly thing as beating this dog to death.

Pat

For sure the relationship between the two cousins will be totally bad after this incident.  The owner of the dog killed is asking for penal action not economical sanctions

2 hours ago, Admin_01 said:

Dottie, if you send that document (both Spanish and English versions) to me then I will place it in this forum as a pinned resource. 

I just sent both files to support. Thanks, Bud. I wish people in that area would get up in arms and force the corregedor to punish this perpetrator according to the law. (And maybe it's time for some "vigilante justice?) This whole thing just makes me sick!

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Dottie Atwater said:

I just sent both files to support. Thanks, Bud. I wish people in that area would get up in arms and force the corregedor to punish this perpetrator according to the law. (And maybe it's time for some "vigilante justice?) This whole thing just makes me sick!

Got the files. As soon as our internet access improves, I will upload those two documents, and pin them. To be "pinned" means they will stay at the top of the forum, regardless of age. I will also annotate other important pet related documents here on CL to point to those two documents.

My biggest hope is that neither document will be needed again, ever.

If this horrible man can do this to a dog, people in his area better keep a close watch on their children. (Sounds like a sick and dangerous man).

I hope the dog's owner forces the Corregidor to follow the law for penal action.

4 hours ago, Pat said:

If this horrible man can do this to a dog, people in his area better keep a close watch on their children. (Sounds like a sick and dangerous man).

I hope the dog's owner forces the Corregidor to follow the law for penal action.

It does make you wonder if he also beats his wife and children.  The corregidor seemed to be somewhat indifferent, because it is a pet dog, not valuable livestock.  I don't understand that attitude either.  A lack of compassion all around.  I truly hope the dog's owners can get some serious action on the denuncia they filed.

4 hours ago, Admin_01 said:

My biggest hope is that neither document will be needed again, ever.

Unfortunately, they (the legal documents) are needed a lot. But also unfortunately, many people don't use the law because they are reluctant to upset a neighbor. (In that case they are complicit in the suffering of the animal.) Or they just don't want to go to the trouble. (And yes, it's a lot of trouble trying to force the corregidor to obey the law.) So bless these people who are struggling to have the corregidor criminally punish their cousin who beat their dog to death.

----------------------

Recently someone called a Panamanian friend who is also an animal advocate. The person who called said "an injured dog was in a ditch."  My friend called me. Jose and I went to search for the location, and after difficulty, we found the person who had called.  We had to actually walk through their house to find a huge ditch, overgrown with brush and trees. Jose managed to get the dog from the ditch. The male dog had been hit by a car and his back was broken. He must have been able to drag himself into the ditch, which was behind where he lived. (We didn't know that at the time.) I came home to get anesthesia and Euthanix. But when I got back, the people said the dog belonged to their brother-in-law and they didn't want to us to put him down without the owner's permission. Everyone there said the owner was at work and they didn't have the his phone number. I came home and emailed my Panamanian friend.

Some time later, she called, said she had contacted the Corregidor, who was waiting for us to come get her and take her to the dog.  When we returned to the house, after more discussion about the owner's phone number, the people directed us the owner's wife--who lived next door. More discussion about the phone number, but the wife finally gave it to the Corregidor. (God forbid that most Panamanian women can  actually make a decision; they have to ask their husbands.) He gave permission to put the dog down. After we put the poor thing down and stopped his suffering, we started to leave. But the Corregidor made us take the body to dispose of. So the owner had no involvement, no expense, no participation, no responsibility, and the dog suffered for several hours more even after we were notified and found him.

The law doesn't specify one way or the other about getting "permission" to put down a suffering animal. It does say that the euthanasia is to be done by a veterinarian; however, we don't have any "veterinarians" here in Volcan and I've put down numerous dogs that were irrevocably injured. Sometimes street dogs, and sometimes at the request of the owner...after the dog has suffered for days upon days.  (If there would be a chance for them, I'd take them to the border to Dr. Tello.) If anyone wants to complain about my doing that, let 'em have at it.

Something needs to be specified about this in the law. I've heard heartbreaking stories about horses being hit by a car on our side of the volcano but having to wait hours for INAM (I think) to arrive and put the animal down...and they don't even have the proper Euthanix.

OK, my rant for the day.

Edited by Dottie Atwater
correction

3 hours ago, Dottie Atwater said:

...... Snip ....

The law doesn't specify one way or the other about getting "permission" to put down a suffering animal. It does say that the euthanasia is to be done by a veterinarian; however, we don't have any "veterinarians" here in Volcan and I've put down numerous dogs that were irrevocably injured. Sometimes street dogs, and sometimes at the request of the owner...after the dog has suffered for days upon days.  (If there would be a chance for them, I'd take them to the border to Dr. Tello.) If anyone wants to complain about my doing that, let 'em have at it.

Something needs to be specified about this in the law. I've heard heartbreaking stories about horses being hit by a car on our side of the volcano but having to wait hours for INAM (I think) to arrive and put the animal down...and they don't even have the proper Euthanix.

OK, my rant for the day.

Dottie

There is a constant complaint in Panama about who are the people signed as "corregidores".  In some places those persons dont have a minimum knowledge of the law and dont study what this position involved and what should be done.  In some districts the Majors provide them with short training courses about that position.     

I have learned that in Panama nothing scares more a government agent than being exposed to the media, newspapers, TV and social medias in the internet.  It will be a good idea for you to have the phone, emails, twitter accounts of the journalist and news people of the province and call them or twit them when you have to file a denuncia or make any statement about the application of the law.  

If you do it in a group of concerned citizens or association it will be better.

The current corregidor in Volcan is said to be a lawyer, as was the former one. That doesn't mean they know the law or if they do, will bother themselves to enforce it. I understand that a corregidor is a political appointment.

But thanks for the idea about the media, Roger. Back when I filed a denuncia (and got the dog removed from the owner), I had finally enlisted the help of Annette Quinn. She has a radio show in PC with a wide audience. She does not speak English. Her email is annettequinn0@gmail.com

Please pass this information on to the people whose dog was beat to death so they can get her help to enforce the corregidor to do his/her job in criminally prosecuting this psychopath. As you say, these corregidors do not want publicity.

Edited by Dottie Atwater
addition

1 hour ago, Dottie Atwater said:

But thanks for the idea about the media, Roger. Back when I filed a denuncia (and got the dog removed from the owner), I had finally enlisted the help of Annette Quinn. She has a radio show in PC with a wide audience. She does not speak English. Her email is annettequinn0@gmail.com

Dottie:

You are right.  Annette is a well known metheorologist in Panama but she is also known as a person who fights for animals right.  She works early in the morning at TVN Channel 2 news.  She used to have a segment in her program about pets and animals.  She is also a voluntary rescue woman and she has rescue dogs.  

It is funny that Annette, being a descendant of an English Speaking family does not speak english.  May be she does but not as well as we expect from her.  Anyways here is also her twitter account:  @quinnannette.  I sent her a twitt asking her to give you a cooperation when you find any case of animal abuse.

The more journalist you got the better.  The issue here is make a lot of noise.  

The story already has some legs, since it came from the mainstream media, Panama America.

Tweeted it to the meteorologist. Tx, Roger!

The Corregedor referred to in the article would be a local one for Los Anastacios, but working under the direction of the Chief Corregedor in Dolega, so inquiries about the case can most likely be made at the Municipal office.

Edited by Keith Woolford