I'd had Cable y Wireless for years (4Mg) but changed to Cable Onda 10Mb on Saturday, May 21st. I've had nothing but problems with CO, with the internet disconnecting and reconnecting frequently, causing "This site can't be reached" and "Unable to resolve server's DNS."  Plus the phone doesn't even work half the time. Fortunately I had not discontinued my C&W service, although CO replaced the line into my house with theirs. I'm having a C&W technician come to reinstall their line into my house. Then I'll subscribe to 10Mb with C&W and take the Cable Onda junk back to their store.

Some people have good experiences with Cable Onda. I'm one who didn't.

------------------------- 

Update: May 28. CO is working better now, but not perfectly. Right off the bat, I experienced a brief disconnect, then reconnect.

Up until today, every morning I've had to re-enter my network settings.  I still can't download to my Kindle, though.

The C&W technicians still haven't been here to reinstall the line into my house.

Fortunately, I know a head of IT in Panama City. He said after the line is reinstalled, then he can check to determine if the lines to the pole and to my house are sufficient to allow me to have 10Mb.

Edited by Dottie Atwater
addition

We  had the same issues for quite awhile.  Neighbors in the Brisas community had the same issues.  All of us kept calling and calling and they kept fixing and fixing.  Modems were replaced.  Filters were installed.  Lines were replaced....and the beat went on.  Then some serious line work got done and the problems stopped.   It helped I do believe to keep records in a notebook and as well the receipts of service along with communication with neighbors.  All things considered, there isn't a service that matches CO when it works well.

Edited by Brundageba
shorten

Thanks for the information. It's good to know I'm not alone. I am definitely keeping records but I don't know anyone else in my neighborhood that has CO. I haven't called back because I'm waiting to get the Cable & Wireless line reinstalled and then find out if I can actually get 10Mb with them.

Edited by Dottie Atwater
addition

Update: after hours on the phone with Cable Onda, it was finally determined that the "technicians" installed a wireless modem for my wired connection. Apparently that caused the many problems.  At first they wanted to charge me $22 to replace the modem. The modem that was THEIR mistake? I think not!

The wireless modem caused all sorts of problems...disconnect, reconnect frequently, plus it interfered with my sound card so that I could not use Skype voice.

While a tech (on the phone) was trying to get the modem to work anyway, my internet connection and phone service died completely. Then via a call with my cell phone, an appointment was set up for the modem replacement...within 24 to 72 hours.

On Tuesday, my C&W line was reinstalled. CO removed it when they installed their line. Now the C&W line would not fit along side the CO line that runs under the ground and through a wall into my house. The C&W techs had to install the line along the side of my porch near the roof and then down through a window in my office.  

So I did have internet again. I have a friend with IT in Panama City. He changed my connection to 10Megas and I generally get 8. He said that's normal.

Yesterday, Wednesday, a technician with CO was supposed to come switch the modem between 12:30 and 4:00. I had an email on Tuesday confirming the appointment. Another email yesterday, the day of the supposed service, confirming the appointment. Did the tech show up? Nope. He called at 4:23, and by then I was involved in other things--after putting my life on hold the entire afternoon. (I'm sure the tech was at his home because I heard dogs barking during his call and it sounded like it was indoors.)

Then at 4:30 a coordinator called. Now he promised a tech will be at my house tomorrow, Friday, between 8:00 and 9:00. We will see.

Fortunately, for a long time I've had my "special contact" with C&W. If the line is occasionally down, I call him and he immediately discovers the problem and how long it will be out. (One time when  I called his cell phone, he was in Poland. But he found the problem anyway.) My speed with C&W is now very adequate.

I will use both services for a time and then make a decision which one to keep. Having my friend with C&W is a big plus; however, since C&W has been sold, we are both wondering if he will keep his present job. He said no decision will probably be made for four months or so.

Wow, Dottie. What an ordeal. Hopefully you will soon have this behind you, but I can tell from what you write and having met you in person that you will prevail. 

I know how dependent we are on reliable internet service. That is why we have redundant service; even good service is not perfect service. I recall one time last year when both primary and secondary internet had gone south. My blood pressure must've been off the scale before it got resolved.

Dottie, my story is too long and involved to relate.  But as another poster suggested I had kept a log of every phone call, every email, every promise, every visit to David.  I have kept the log in Spanish.  What got them moving was going to David with all my papers chronicling everything and telling them that my next step was to ACODECO.  I'm guessing there have been so many claims with ACODECO that it's like a magic word to pull out when talking to them.  It's sorta been resolved, but not entirely...good luck.   

I, too, am keeping records. Did you ever resolve your problems with Cable Onda? Well, I hope ACODECO is a magic word when it comes to them. Personally, I've had nothing but a bad experience with ACODECO. I filed a claim on December 10, 2014 against a hotel that refused the discount . With many phone calls, I was always told to "call back in a month." I had given up, but today I decided, what the hell, I'll make one more visit. (My fourth.) I couldn't understand everything, except they said they'd call me when I was supposed to make still another visit to ACODECO for something or other--but not to get my money. I've spent more time than the $138.38 is worth!