EXPAT ALERT!

My dear friend Cristiano Zeviani has gone missing while showing property to a supposed client in Caño de Dolega, Chiriqui. This was on Tuesday, May 10th, 2016. We never heard from him again and we are worried sick.

The DIJ- Investigative police force, has found his car, a Mitsubishi L200 pickup truck, black doble cabin, abandoned in the Cerro Punta area.

This is a call for help: we need him to be found.

See my Facebook page Saskia Marjolein and Boquete Ning for this subject as well.

My phone, for any information, 69787500

Cristiano Zeviani.jpg

12 hours ago, Saskia said:

See my Facebook page Saskia Marjolein

Saskia, I am so sorry about all of this.  I can't imagine what you are going through.  I tried to go to your Facebook page to look for the missing poster in order to share it but your settings are set so that people can't see it.  Perhaps if you change the settings of the announcement of the missing person to public, people could share it and more people could see it, and maybe more could be done about it.   Just a suggestion.

I don't think Boquete ning gets that much audience any more.

This kind of incidents are not so common but could happen.   Crime of this type are not commited by panamanians in most cases.  Just only a very few that I can recall.  That doesnt mean it couldnt happen.  Most of the cases in Panama the criminal is not local.  It is always a foreign individual that think he could go out from Panama and the crime will be unsolved/unpunished. 

A few years ago, a citizen of Costa Rica, called a well know lady in the Real State market in Panama City and a member of an old family of well known business people.  He called her as a customer interested in see some properties that the lady was announcing for renting and/or selling.   Something happened and went wrong and the lady was found dead in one of the properties she was selling/renting.  Police could investigate the case efectively because of strong information collected and the guy was caught and went into trial and was convicted.   Since that days people in Panama, even that we werent use to this type of crime, started to change things, specially for people doing business and sales people.  

See news report of this criminal: http://www.midiario.com/uhora/policiales/la-historia-del-stripper-asesino

1.  If possible never go alone with the other person.  Always be accompanied with someone else.

2.  Never met a person who you dont know who is.  Invite him to your office and present the person to your associates, friends, family members, etc.

3.  Always get information of the person like name, address, land phone numbers, cell phone numbers, etc.  The more information you have the better.

4.  If you are going to meet that person outside your office inform that to any person at your office, house, etc.  

5.  When you arrive the place call your office/home and inform that you are at the place with JOHN DOE (JUAN PEREZ)  to see the property and that you will call back when the meeting is over.  

6.  I will use a word that is bad used in Panama but you have to "Jugar Vivo"  That means in this context that you should be always ready for anything strange you may find.  Never be unprepared.  Quick reflexes and quick thinking.    

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Ken and Becky said:

Does anyone know the name of his client?

Have any members ever personally met Cristiano Zeviani? It seems he lived in David.

There have been no new Tweets since reports on the 20th stated his truck had been located near Respingo.

http://www.critica.com.pa/sucesos/buscan-italiano-desaparecido-en-chiriqui-434169?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

There is a very upsetting post on the "other" site.  It seems the search is being handled with a great deal of incompetence.  An expert in search and rescue has offered to help, but the authorities seem to think there will be glory in finding him, and they aren't accepting that offer.  They haven't even called in the Red Cross, which the family requested.  They are searching in the place he was (Dolega), instead of the place where he was going (Cerro Punta).  The Italian embassy didn't answer the phone for 8 days, then finally responded to an email and told her to keep calm.  This is certainly a mess.

3 hours ago, JudyS said:

There is a very upsetting post on the "other" site.  It seems the search is being handled with a great deal of incompetence.  An expert in search and rescue has offered to help, but the authorities seem to think there will be glory in finding him, and they aren't accepting that offer.  They haven't even called in the Red Cross, which the family requested.  They are searching in the place he was (Dolega), instead of the place where he was going (Cerro Punta).  The Italian embassy didn't answer the phone for 8 days, then finally responded to an email and told her to keep calm.  This is certainly a mess.

He was showing in Dolega, his truck was found in Cerro Punta. This is why things get out of hand, because people write misinformed things. Instead of going to the "other site" for info, people should focus on the facts. El Caño in Dolega has a back part that is really rugged terrain, this is where his lot was. He is not a Realtor, but rather someone selling his own property. His truck was found in Cerro Punta days later with 4 flat tires. Could have been found on the side of the road abandoned and easily stolen for a joy ride. Most likely, this poor man had an accident on the hills or was bit by a snake. It is not likely he was kidnapped but again, not ruled out, however, when showing property people typically do not go with lots of cash or jewelry or anything of value. He was on dating sites, he was dating a Panamanian girl, this could have been something personal too. There are more questions than answers but the family needs to be more proactive in reaching out Interpol and making lots of noise with international press. His friends in David and Dolega can perhaps organize a search. Everyone talks, everyone assumes, but I do not see people out searching for him either. 

3 hours ago, JudyS said:

Judy

If I dont have the information right from the source I will have my reserves.   It was an opinion and personal perception of the person who posted the message.  I know that some times members of the police force could behave like that but I dont buy about the "Glory" or "honor" thing.   Even in the US police detectives dont like regular people involved in the investigation.  I was not in the meeting.  I dont know what the responses from the police were but there must be something more of what we have been informed.  So I gave this comment the benefit of the doubt.  

As much as I can recall the person doing this is not even a close familiar.  She is taking this thing so personal that she is giving strong remarks to the Italian embassy, the Police, the mother and family of the missing gentleman and even the Interpol.   I know that this could be a very serious subject and it is involving a loved person but insulting and demanding action in bad manners wont help at all.  There are ways and there are ways.  The issue in this moments is looking for witnesses.  People who could have seen the Itallian man and the person he was to meet or anything.  

Even in the US with all the techonology and professional in the police department there are a lot of cases of missing persons that remains unsolved or are solved after some years.  Now this dissapearance is already on the news.  It have had exposition and for sure it will have the neccesary attention by the authorities.  

If we are not related to the missing person we couldnt have more information about the development of the case.  That is the way investigation officers works.  

I agree that this entire Cristiano Zeviani situation is a big confusing mess. Too many conflicting pieces of information. All of it couldn't be accurate or true.

No one person seems to be in charge. Is this really a hoax? If this man is for certain  missing, then a sad situation. But I wonder.

• 2 weeks later...

25 days since the disappearance of my friend Cristiano Zeviani in Chiriqui!  
Yes, 25 days and no trace of him!

Last seen in the area of El Caño de Dolega, where he went to show a property to an unknown interested party. His car was found back far away in the desolate area of Respinga in Cerro Punta without the license plate and window sticker. Not a trace of Cristiano, and the authorities keep telling us they have great leads but can't tell us anything. This has been going on now since the investigation has started.

Yes, I am "just" a friend of his, and take this situation to heart as I would with any other friend. His girlfriend is Panamanian and in shock, Cristianos Mum has heart problems and she is in her eighties, so she hasn't been able to travel here yet. We have no funds, and the DIJ says the case is making progress, but that they can't tell us anything or it "would mess up the investigation". This drives us crazy as we are very grown up already and not likely to leak delicate information. I suspect there might be not as many leads as we had hoped for. 

The DIJ has been doing a search with 4 men in the area of El Caño de Dolega, and with a larger group of Sinaproc personnel in Cerro Punta where the car was found. They tell me every day when I go and or call, that they are continuing the investigation and the search. As vague as can be.

After being on the phone for days, finally Interpol put Cristiano on the Yellow public list of Missing Persons. He was already on the internal list which is only accessible to Law Enforcement Personnel. See here, so you see THIS IS NO HOAX.  www.interpol.int . Go to the yellow list and put "italian" in the Nationality roll down link. You will see 23 Italian citizens are missing in total, and Cristiano is the last one added.

No help from Embassy. We need to hire a private detective I think. This week I am going to start raising funds for that. 

Edited by Admin_01
Converted URL into hotlink

• 3 weeks later...

Cristiano went missing on May 10th. This means he has been missing for over a month, for 6 weeks actually! I am trying to communicate with the authorities about Cristiano's disappearance and keep getting the door smacked in my face; no information AT ALL: For the past weeks they told me they are investigating but can't reveal anything as that would mess with the investigation. They now tell me that in the last week there have been 6 murders in Chiriqui ( no expats) and that they only have this much manpower; I can imagine they put Cris' case on the back burner. Its extremely sad, all of it. Like he never existed. I am now traveling abroad and will be back the second week of July, but I keep in touch with the DIJ through WhatsApp, with no result. They now don't even answer. 

I suggest you raad the local news papers, the "bloody" ones. La Critica would be very informative. Just to mention one of the cases in question: little girl killed by accident as they were aiming to kill her Dad who was a member of Los Carne Fritas, which is one of the many many gangs currently known to operate in David.  Stuff most expats never even hear about. Mostly gang and drug related murders. No expats involved at all.  The number 6 as the death toll given to me by the DIJ. Not made up.

• 1 month later...

Hi folks. Cristiano is still missing. After 3 months and 2 weeks, still not a trace, and my contacts at DIJ and Fiscalia have no clues, it seems. I am been shut down: like no-one wants to talk to me on the subject anymore. My whatsapp chats to DIJ remain unreeled however they get read. I have no idea how to proceed to be honest.