Windows 10 Unwanted Download

So, I'm reading my email yesterday, minding my own business when all of a sudden up pops a window with the message that Windows 10 was in the process of downloading and please don't turn off my computer.

As I researched the advisability of changing from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I had accepted the wise advice of computer experts on this site to the effect of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I immediately pulled the plug on the computer to prevent this "upgrade" which I hadn't asked for and didn't want.

Anybody else have experience with this stealth tactic being employed by MicroSoft???

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Penny said:

Yep.  My wife woke up two weeks ago and found that Windows 10 has mysteriously installed on her PC during the night.  She had declined every "upgrade" notice she got from Microsoft before that.  She still can't figure out how to use it, and since I'm a Mac guy, I don't have a clue how to get it off without paying someone.  So, she's stuck with it.  But Apple does this same kind of crap too.  We have all kinds of useless apps on our iPhones that were factory installed and non-deletable.  It reminds me of the days when a car dealer thought it could put a two foot sign with the name of the dealership on the rear of the car you just bought.  Really pisses me off.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Penny said:

So, I'm reading my email yesterday, minding my own business when all of a sudden up pops a window with the message that Windows 10 was in the process of downloading and please don't turn off my computer.

As I researched the advisability of changing from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I had accepted the wise advice of computer experts on this site to the effect of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I immediately pulled the plug on the computer to prevent this "upgrade" which I hadn't asked for and didn't want.

Anybody else have experience with this stealth tactic being employed by MicroSoft???

Did you change your Windows update option from automatic to Let Me Choose What to Install?

Then did you read the posts here that tell what files to look for on those Windows updates and uncheck them?

If Windows 10 didn't load, go to Check for Updates, find those file numbers and delete them.  Specific instructions are on CL.

You really have to stay one step ahead of Microsoft.  They seem determined to force Win10 on everybody.  Before the Mac people start gloating, Apple changes the OS every 6 months it seems, rendering older phones unable to install the most useful software.  I can't install the Kindle app or Skype on my iPhone because of that.

Edited by JudyS
  • Upvote 1

For most people, if Windows 10 was installed, automatically or by selecting the upgrade, you get 30 days to roll it back to the Windows 7 or 8.1 that it was before.   The option is easy, you do not have to be a tech guy to do it.

At the start menu select settings. 

Next,  click Update & Security. 

Select Recovery 

You should see a “Go back to Windows 7” or “Go back to Windows 8.1” option. Click the Get Started button to get rid of Windows 10 and restore your previous Windows install. 

If it has been more than 30 days since the upgrade or if the upgrade was done as a clean install, then the option to go back to the previous version of windows will not appear.

11 hours ago, Twin Wolf Technology Group said:

For most people, if Windows 10 was installed, automatically or by selecting the upgrade, you get 30 days to roll it back to the Windows 7 or 8.1 that it was before.   The option is easy, you do not have to be a tech guy to do it.

At the start menu select settings. 

Next,  click Update & Security. 

Select Recovery 

You should see a “Go back to Windows 7” or “Go back to Windows 8.1” option. Click the Get Started button to get rid of Windows 10 and restore your previous Windows install. 

If it has been more than 30 days since the upgrade or if the upgrade was done as a clean install, then the option to go back to the previous version of windows will not appear.

Thanks for that.  I will save that information in case MS sneaks in a file I don't know about.

9 hours ago, JudyS said:

Has anybody installed the GWX Control Panel recommended in the article?

Yes Judy.  I offered it here as a download on CL back in December 2015.   It is the simplest and best way to take care of the problem.   In my opinion, the advice of deleting certain Microsoft Updates is just not smart unless you have a full understanding of what each update does and all the various ramifications.   Future updates will be added that may depend on an update that was manually deleted.   Microsoft has already moved some of these updates from optional to recommended and thereby forcing most users to get them without their knowledge, so they reappear.   

Windows 7 users should use the GWX Control Panel program to avoid the WIndows 10 upgrade issues.   It is what I use with all my clients.

6 hours ago, Twin Wolf Technology Group said:

Yes Judy.  I offered it here as a download on CL back in December 2015.   It is the simplest and best way to take care of the problem.   In my opinion, the advice of deleting certain Microsoft Updates is just not smart unless you have a full understanding of what each update does and all the various ramifications.   Future updates will be added that may depend on an update that was manually deleted.   Microsoft has already moved some of these updates from optional to recommended and thereby forcing most users to get them without their knowledge, so they reappear.   

Windows 7 users should use the GWX Control Panel program to avoid the WIndows 10 upgrade issues.   It is what I use with all my clients.

Thanks Dan.  I just installed it.  A very easy install.  It is necessary to read and follow all the instructions (also easy) after it installs.