More weirdness entering into Panama

Two stories this time. UK citizen tried to re-enter at Paso Canoas, after doing a border hop to make her foreign drivers license good again. Agent noticed 90 day intervals on her passport stamps, and stated "I know what you are up to, and you can't come in"!

Second reported on "ning". US citizen with both the pensionado and Panama driver license shown after entering at Tocumen (PTY) was required to buy a return ticket to US to enter, even after protesting, at some expense to her.

Both within the last few days to weeks.

So just another heads up, expect the unexpected.

2 hours ago, Bonnie said:

I assume in the latter case she didn't have her passport? Absolutely necessary for international travel.

Bonnie, here is what is reported on "ning": 

Just two months ago mt wife, ****, was returning to Panama' from Atlanta and encountered a problem.  They would not honor her cedula.  They even claimed that the "expedido" date indicated that it had expired.  In fact that is the date it was issued.  They ignored the "indefinidamente" which indicates indefinite expiration.  She even showed her Panama' drivers license but that did nothing.  As a result Delta airlines made her buy a Panama' to Atlanta return ticket. Of course, she made sure it was refundable, but we were out about $1,500 for two months plus a service fee.

My comment: I would assume she had her passport to board in Atlanta.

The UK lady I know personally, and will add more info when see her in Boquete.

13 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Then the woman had a problem with a Delta Airlines ticket agent in Atlanta, not a Panamanian official at Tocumen Airport.

Yes, that would explain the post. This not all that unusual. I had quite a hassle with a Delta ticket agent about three years ago at the Houston airport. But a supervisor was called in, and she understood the situation.

Edited by Bonnie

• 3 months later...

I travel back and forth to the States every quarter and it's not at all unusual to be required to have a return ticket to the U.S.on any airline even with my cedula.  I usually show my passport to the ticket agent and if they require the return from Panama I give them my cedula.  Sometimes that's all they need but if that doesn't work, I have my return booked for my next visit.   You really never know until you get to the counter so I come prepared.  Also you can make a reservation on most airlines and cancel within 24 hours with no fees or costs so you make a reservation for a return to the states the same day you're flying back to Panama.  When you land at PTY you cancel the reservation and you're good to go.