As of 2:15 pm, the ning system is back up.

Marc Andreesen (LINK), multi-millionaire Silicon Valley venture capitalist was a co-creator of the early internet browsers Mosaic and Netscape, and was a co-founder of the of ning social websites company in 2004.

Over two million ning sites have been created since then.

Boquete.ning is just one of many ning sites, and the entire system was down today. 

Edited by David van Harn
grammar - spelling

1 hour ago, Bonnie said:

I took a peak at Ning yesterday to read a topic that had been recommended. While there, I observed that there no longer are any local sponsors. I'm guessing contracts ran out and no one chose to renew.

Ning has come back online as of 2pm local time.

Good observation Bonnie.   Without any local sponsors there does not appear to be any revenue stream to help sustain it.   It will be interesting to see what the future holds.

It was nice to have additional social networks, such as Chiriqui Life, in place.  When one network fails, as Ning did today, people depending on a particular social network need information and answers.   Given the very large size of the Ning platform and company they did a poor job of updating their clients as to the outage.  In my opinion they could have quickly confirmed the outage and notified their clients using both Twitter and Facebook.

My last thought on the subject is this - as a client of a particular social network provider, you are dependent on that provider for their service.   If the service goes down do you have a backup of all the valuable data that has been posted?   All too often a tech company suddenly goes out of business and the clients are left with nothing.   It is just as important to backup the valuable data from your social network as it is your own personal data in case of disaster.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TwoSailors said:

Just reading their FB threads, they have a lot of pissed off people!

Not only pissed off.  I think people are afraid of saying anything because the same people (most whom don't even live here) jump in looking for a fight.  Now that I think about it, I should have listened to my husband and not even answered any derogatory comments on me!   Well, live and learn, and then get a life.  They should have a moderator that is more friendly and customer oriented than the present one.  I think that is where Bob  Hunter messed up.  Not knowing how to choose proper personnel.   

Without intending to do so, I caused a huge controversy about postings adds on the right section, just too many of them I guess.  I was scheduled to begin volunteering for ARF until Pet Wants Homes began to jump on me.  So I guess ARF looses a volunteer.  Additionally,  the ones that used to jump and criticise me are fighting against each other now. Just like cats and dogs.  Go figure!  

The latest thread about the lady wanted to interview people had 2,000 plus views and forty something comments.  Finally it dawn on me, that is exactly what creates traffic on ning.  The Gossip!  I must say I find it amusing now.

Now they need to find a good juicy topic to generate traffic in order not to die out!  Pathetic!

23 minutes ago, Brundageba said:

Marcela...

Move on.  Don't let some minor bump in the road stop you from volunteering here.   The dog folks are some great people.  

Alison

Thanks for the advise Alison, you are very kind, and you are right.  It is a minor bump on the road in the long run.  However is a bit disadvantageous volunteering in a place where someone knows who you are vs. not knowing who that person is.  Just  to have the "stay away from that person" sign on my brain.

On May 13, 2016 at 6:34 PM, Bonnie said:

I took a peak at Ning yesterday to read a topic that had been recommended. While there, I observed that there no longer are any local sponsors. I'm guessing contracts ran out and no one chose to renew.

Bonnie

You are right no sponsors listed on the site.  If that is true then,  the needed funds required to survival and maintenance of the site are not coming and it could had a tremendous impact on the value of the site and its future.

There are companies, organizations, groups, places, business, etc that are successful and have a lot of followers because the charisma, the passion, the feeling the owner put when they created them and manage them.    If that creator is not longer on the organization and the new owners dont have the same "feeling" the original owner or creator has the initial success wont be with them anymore.   Those places, little by little will be loosing the interest of the users, clients, etc.  That is why you will see the once succesful company or organization fade away gradually because they couldnt make "click" with the actual customers and are failing to attract and keep the new ones.  Some companies dies with the owner.

• Upvote 1

Roger, that seems to be very true with restaurants in Boquete. 

Many fail to thrive and eventually close after being sold - especially to people who are not foodies - and/or have no restaurant experience.  They often have no idea how to keep it fresh and appealing, and don't know how to do the regular advertising that is often needed. 

1 hour ago, David van Harn said:

Roger, that seems to be very true with restaurants in Boquete. 

Many fail to thrive and eventually close after being sold - especially to people who are not foodies - and/or have no restaurant experience.  They often have no idea how to keep it fresh and appealing, and don't know how to do the regular advertising that is often needed. 

Roger B. and David :  I agree. Both business and restaurants often fail with new management/owners. This seems to be especially true in Panama. Sad and I'm not sure what the answer is. We've found that some owners are eager for customer input and suggestions, but do nothing with the information offered. Then after a short while the place is closed.