President Varela Closing Panama Land Border Between Panama and Colombia

Hi  All

My daughter who is connected to the travel industry just told me that the president is closing all Panama Land and Boat boarders, Costa Rica, Puerto Oblaldia, and Darien.  Airports will still be open.

On investigation it seems to me only the boarder with Columbia by land and boat.

http://www.noticiasrcn.com/internacional-america/panama-lanza-operacion-escudo-blindar-su-frontera-colombia

It is called Operacion Escudo.

Also stated in the articule above is:

"Also he announced a drastic change in immigration policy of his country through changes in the law so that in Panama "remain" foreigners "with a defined legal status," the same for those who want in the future to settle in the country as made in strict compliance with the provisions."

I wonder how that will affect us expats I think no problem unless you are doing your boarder Crossing in the Darien.

Any of you really good investigators on this site have more info?

Chris

Edited by Admin_01
Modifying the title of this topic for more accuracy; see our post of May 10th.

I am here as a tourist and cross into Costa Rica every 6 months.  Presumably this will still be possible but worry about "changes to immigration laws".  It seems Panama has two schools of thought; lets invite retirees to live and spend their money here but lets make it as difficult as possible on them.  

• Upvote 1

I think  MarieElaine is missing the point.  The Panamanian government has made it very easy for folks to get permanent residency in this Country.  Don't know what it is now, but it was only $1250 per month income for my wife and I when we came.  The people who have gone through the procedure don't have a problem.  The problem starts when those who do qualify and those that don't keep doing the border run.  Those people are rightly defined as non-residents -even if they are "spending money" .  Doesn't matter where you are, you will always be spending money.......Permanent tourists are gaming the system and as long as it works, that's fine.  The minute it doesn't, you are out of luck with no recourse.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MarieElaine said:

I am here as a tourist and cross into Costa Rica every 6 months.  Presumably this will still be possible but worry about "changes to immigration laws".  It seems Panama has two schools of thought; lets invite retirees to live and spend their money here but lets make it as difficult as possible on them.  

I seriously doubt that would happen. It could return to every three months. That has always been the standard time period world wide.  That said the best bet is always to do what you can to insure a permanent residency status.  It relieves you of the worry to a degree. 

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Keith Woolford said:

This heading is incorrect and misleading.

The President ordered one land border with Colombia to be closed.

check under 'Migrant Crisis' for the story from La Prensa in English.

Keith, good catch on the title for this topic. After reviewing the situation, the management of CL decided to modify the title of this topic. 

For Chris: please do not be offended by our action. If you do not agree, send us a private message or email.

51 minutes ago, Brundageba said:

I seriously doubt that would happen. It could return to every three months. That has always been the standard time period world wide.  That said the best bet is always to do what you can to insure a permanent residency status.  It relieves you of the worry to a degree. 

There is no standard time period that I know of. US, Canada, and Mexico give 180 days. In Mexico I got residency in less than 3 weeks, no attorney, police or health check.

NB: many people quote the time periods incorrectly. It is 90 and 180 days, not 3 and 6 months, And yes it matters!

Well yes Pantah I agree.  However we've been traveling for decades and 90 days has been the most common.  Here in Panama 180 is the practice but not the law...unless something changed that I don't know of.  Resident- tourists surely understand the risks of electing that mode of residing here.   If not...they should.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JohnF13 said:

I think  MarieElaine is missing the point.  The Panamanian government has made it very easy for folks to get permanent residency in this Country.  Don't know what it is now, but it was only $1250 per month income for my wife and I when we came.  The people who have gone through the procedure don't have a problem.  The problem starts when those who do qualify and those that don't keep doing the border run.  Those people are rightly defined as non-residents -even if they are "spending money" .  Doesn't matter where you are, you will always be spending money.......Permanent tourists are gaming the system and as long as it works, that's fine.  The minute it doesn't, you are out of luck with no recourse.

I do agree with John F.  He stated the matter loud and clear.  What more is needed to understand it?  

I'm reading this as a used to be Ecuador/Columbian/Cuban problem. Cubans now need a visa to enter Ecuador. Nicaragua was the first to stop this by telling Costa Rica NO MORE. Costa Rica closed it's borders to undocumented people. Now Panama is doing the right thing by closing it's borders to undocumented illegal travelers on it's Columbian border. 

This is NOT a tourist problem. There is a difference. A current passport and visa for foreign travel and no problems. Just follow the rules and not rumors. Varela is not stupid. So called "Perpetual Tourist" are just fine and spend a lot of money in all of Panama. This is not just a Boquete issue on so called "Perpetual Tourist." As a matter of fact; they are welcomed here. The problem is some expats don't like them. Panama does like them. I suggest let the Panama Government label people in their country. Not expats. We shouldn't be sticking our nose in their politics unless we have Panamanian Citizenship. A Pensionado or any other type of residency does not give us a vote on politics here.  I see too many expats trying to change the culture here to fit their standards. That won't work here either. After a couple of years I've found out blending in works better. Just my opinion. And, my thoughts are just observations of behavior of expats in restaurants, stores and in general. Personally, I wanted to spend at least a couple of years here before making the big change and reside here permenantly. That has been done----no more LABELING me. But before residency, I had NO Problems with immigration or elected officials or police in Boquete or anywhere else in this beautiful country.

No complaints from me on anyones status in this country. Actually it is none of my business.

• Upvote 2