Thanks Bonnie.  I found the file installed (KB3133977) and uninstalled it.  I'll be on the lookout for it at the next scheduled Windows update.  Fortunately it didn't cause me a problem.  What a dirty trick to play on Win 7 users.

Although I don't have the ASUS problem, I did have problems with "upgrade to Windows 10" spamming and Microsoft updates running spyware on my Toshiba laptop during a very long boot time - up to ten minutes before all the background tasks were completed and my applications would load and run normally.

I was atone time a "Microsoft Certified Professional" for Windows desktop and server software, but now my skills are old, rusty and way outdated.  However, I don't like the heavy-handed Windows 10 update spamming and Microsoft's spying tricks (which they call "telemetry)." Every time I booted my Toshiba laptop, Microsoft's spyware would spend up to 5 minutes or more looking through my hard drive and sending information back to their servers.  I could see the high processor utilization with the Windows "Performance Monitor" and also see that MS telemetry was the process hogging the processor and making it nearly impossible to run any applications for up to 10 minutes.  

A bit of internet searching turned up a simple solution.  It is a command utility that has to be run "as supervisor."  Those who can download, unzip, and right-click on a ".cmd" file and run it "as supervisor" can run this cleanup utility. 

The upgrade cleanup utility is from VOAT Technology [LINK] and is called "Aegis for Windows 7/8.x - Block all known Microsoft spying and Windows 10 upgrade elements."  The utility is well documented for those who are interested, and it uninstalls all necessary Microsoft updates and marks them to not be reinstalled. 

My laptop now completely finishes booting and running background applications in 3 minutes. 

10 hours ago, JudyS said:

Thanks Bonnie.  I found the file installed (KB3133977) and uninstalled it.  I'll be on the lookout for it at the next scheduled Windows update.  Fortunately it didn't cause me a problem.  What a dirty trick to play on Win 7 users.

Judy ...How did you get rid of KB3133977 ?   I want to nix it out of my updates...or should I?   I am reading on it and the information is beyond my learning curve.

Edited by Brundageba
added more

Control Panel--Programs--Programs and Features--Installed Updates

If your motherboard isn't an ASUS, you probably don't have a problem. My motherboard pops up when I turn on my computer, but otherwise I don't know how to identify what it is.

49 minutes ago, Brundageba said:

Judy ...How did you get rid of KB3133977 ?   I want to nix it out of my updates...or should I?   I am reading on it and the information is beyond my learning curve.

Here is how to do it.  I also make sure I never download file 3035583.  It's the one that sets up your computer for Win 10 and puts that annoying icon in the task bar.

1. Go to the Control Panel, System and Security and View Installed Updates.

2.  A list will come up.  Look for KB3133977.  Right click on that and click on Uninstall.

3.  Restart your computer.

To keep it from downloading again, change your updates from automatic to "let me choose what to install".  Always look at the updates Windows wants to install and uncheck that file.  Another thing you can do, to keep it from downloading in the future:

1.  Click on Windows Update in the control panel.

2.  Click on Check for Updates (it's on the left side of the screen).

3.  You will see a list of updates.  Right click that file and choose "Hide Update".  This will cause it not to load in the future, but sometimes for some mysterious reason that hide command is overridden, and it will .  So it's safer to keep checking the updates before you allow Windows to install them.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

What are you folks going to do when Windows 7 is no longer supported?

Windows 10 is working fine for me, I've had zero problems with it.

Windows 7 is being supported until 2020.  By that time I will have a new computer.  I am a big proponent of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Windows 7 ain't broke.

Yah...we're old and the old stuff still works ( today at least).  Heck our phone (which is taped together with clear tape) doesn't even take photos.   It just calls.   ( It's a step up from the old dial phones I remember where the operator dialed the number for you and you had a party line ). 

On 5/7/2016 at 9:07 PM, Keith Woolford said:

What are you folks going to do when Windows 7 is no longer supported?

Windows 10 is working fine for me, I've had zero problems with it.

Keith, it is good to read that Win 10 is working well for you. I have heard of a few others who also have no problems with Win 10. It seems to be a better outcome if the Win 10 is a fresh install rather than an upgrade from Win 7 or Win 8. Was yours an upgrade or a fresh start?

I had the exact opposite result than you had. Win 10 got "accidentally" loaded on one of my several Win 7 machines (as an upgrade), and it was a total disaster. It had nothing to do with the motherboard issue discussed herein, but simply incompatibilities with applications. I decided to give Win 10 a "fair shake" test and so loaded it intentionally on a different machine, but again as an upgrade from Win 7. Same result. All of my machines are now back to Win 7 (Ultimate, 64 bit).

This is yet a different issue with Win 10 and why some (many?) are opposed to it. It has to do with privacy. I admit up front that there are two sides to this privacy coin. However, I sit clearly in the "its my data and keep your fingers off of it unless I want you to access it" camp. Here are just a few web links to comments about the privacy issues:

If asked, I recommend delaying the upgrade to Win 10. That is just my opinion, and worth exactly what someone has paid me for it.

• Upvote 1

In the past, I have delayed changing up systems as long as possible but in this case I upgraded because I was having a lot of problems with the copy of Win 7 that had been installed.

As it turns out, privacy issues aside, I like Windows 10 better.

It's not just Windows that's invasive anyway.  All browsers and apps are mining information every time they're used these days.