I received the following email from today from friends:

"We went to Immigration this afternoon and asked about the three day rule. Yes, people need to stay out for three days to renew their visa. They can leave on Monday, stay out Tuesday and return on Wednesday."

7 hours ago, Bonnie said:

I received the following email from today from friends:

"We went to Immigration this afternoon and asked about the three day rule. Yes, people need to stay out for three days to renew their visa. They can leave on Monday, stay out Tuesday and return on Wednesday."

Correct, and a person can accomplish that in less than 48 hours with 2 overnights. 

Probably a good idea to make reservations for accommodations in advance.

I did the hop (paso canoas)for the last two years and never stayed out of country over 24 hours. It will continue to be up to the agent working the window. The last two trips (with all the cubanos there) were a one hour turn arounds. Good thing is for me; NO MORE. I have residency now. If you call or visit the migracion office they will quote the rules to you.  The border is a different story. No consistency at all. How does an agent in the window determine a "border hopper" and what is the legality of crossing the border under current laws as many times as you wish?

Edited by Hil
spelling and adding