Information for those who are not permanent residents and must leave the country every six months to renew their tourist visa.

I invite current information,   

How much cash must be shown, per person, at immigration?

Does proof of a confirmed airline ticket need to be shown that the tourist is returning to their own country?

(Panama immigration will randomly call the airlines to verify the purchase of said ticket. Many people abused the system by presenting tickets and cancelling them later.)

Does the entire family need to be present for each individual passport to be stamped?

How much time must be spent out of Panama before re-entering?

What is the amount of time allowed before passport expires to enter Panama?

How much is the exit fee in Costa Rica?

Can the C.R. exit fee be paid at immigration?

Edited by Chica de Chiriqui

You may or may not be asked to show the following:

$500 cash or credit card with current statement showing balance available which must be $500 or more. Or a Panamanian Bank statement showing that amount available.

Airline ticket to Country of Origin.

Each person in a family must be present as they take your picture with a webcam.

There must be in excess of 6 months remaining on your passport to gain entry to Panama.

You may or may not be required to stay overnight in Costa Rica. If you go around 2:30, check out of Panama, In and out of Costa Rica, have a bite to eat or shop for awhile then check in to Panama it usually works. DON'T ASK WHEN YOU STAMP OUT OF PANAMA IF YOU HAVE TO STAY OUT. 

The exit fee from Costa Rica is $5 plus a $2 fee and whatever your credit card charges you. There is an office around the corner from immigration where you pay the exit fee. If that is closed someone can direct you to the bank where this can be accomplished (we've never had to go to the bank).

It just depends on who you get at the window. it's been different every time we go. The last two times they didn't ask us for anything at all, but we are always prepared just in case.

• 4 weeks later...

You only need copies of your passport when you cross at Rio Sereno............who knows why???  And..........everything you need or don't need depends on if the person at the window is having a good day. It is, however, best to have it all...........just in case they are in a bad mood.

Just did the crossing at Rio Sereno 2 weeks ago. Easy!!

Panama exit:

Only wanted copy of passport. Asked where we were going.

Costa Rica entry:

Copy of passports, and fill out Immigration form asking for return flight number to home country.   

Costa Rica exit:

get your exit stamp from the hardware store. $8.00 each. Fill out same Immigration form.

Panama entry:

Wanted to see $500 cash. Showed them our Panama bank statement and that covered it. Copy of passport. Wanted to see return flight reservation back to states.

Last time Panama did not ask for cash or airline info. 

Different day different folks!

Do they not "stamp" your original passport at Rio Sereno?  I don't understand the "copy" of passport significance. If your passport is not stamped wouldn't you have an issue at any other crossing in future? Maybe I'm missing something here? At Paso Canoas driving back into Panama you will be stopped once again and your passport checked for your stamp.

2 hours ago, Gail Anstey said:

Don't you have to have 2 copies of your passport? Which crossing do you use?

No, not at the Paso Canoas (Frontera) crossing.

18 hours ago, Ken and Becky said:

They do stamp your passport at Rio Sereno, but they keep a copy of your passport.

I guess I don't understand the reasoning behind that. Maybe they don't have computers? Or take your picture with the web-cam like they do at Paso Canoas? Not sure I would like copies of my passport floating around out there. :o(

29 minutes ago, TwoSailors said:

TIP.... you are going to be required to give a copy of your passport to many government/bank and business's till you get your Visa.

Just like a lot of other countries!

Been here 8 years, never had to so far.