Auto Insurance not cancelled cluster foxtrot

I have been rendered uninsured in the weirdest (maybe not for Panama) way. I did not renew with my past local agent for several reasons. When they called my cel a few days ago, I again said NO. That and the fact that I never paid for any renewal, I thought I was good to go. So I go to my new agent and she says she cant insure me, as it would duplicate a policy with the same company. WTF!!!. Seems they renewed me without my permission or payment, but I of course don't have anything to show the transitos, and they tow for that. And they are closed at this time for semana santa.

I believe this the same agency that put a typo in a lady's policy which resulted in her getting towed to the tune of almost 300 bucks.

This same agency has (twice) sent out mass mailings to their clients not blind copying recipients. Major bad move, I now know of some your middle names too!

Moral: expect the unexpected, and although I won't say who the incompetent party is, pick your local agent carefully.

I have been rendered uninsured in the weirdest (maybe not for Panama) way. I did not renew with my past local agent for several reasons. When they called my cel a few days ago, I again said NO. That and the fact that I never paid for any renewal, I thought I was good to go. So I go to my new agent and she says she cant insure me, as it would duplicate a policy with the same company. WTF!!!. Seems they renewed me without my permission or payment, but I of course don't have anything to show the transitos, and they tow for that. And they are closed at this time for semana santa.

I believe this the same agency that put a typo in a lady's policy which resulted in her getting towed to the tune of almost 300 bucks.

This same agency has (twice) sent out mass mailings to their clients not blind copying recipients. Major bad move, I now know of some your middle names too!

Moral: expect the unexpected, and although I won't say who the incompetent party is, pick your local agent carefully.

There's a guy with an insurance office in Plaza Los Establos who used to be the only English speaking agent in town. His service was awful. Now we have two wonderful, responsible agents serving the English speaking population. Gloria Detresno who lives in David but spends weekends in her historic family house in Boquete and Magda Crespo who has an office upstairs in Plaza San Francisco. I'm quite sure Pantah didn't have either one of them as his agent.

TwoSailors, quite perceptive, who knows! Anyway, I recommend that one pays close attention to how their insurance is cancelled, and for any typos on their policies, as an error there could set up problems with the people who have an interest in getting you towed, accident claims, etc. My first agency had me auto renewed on my credit card, which was a surprise to me. Had to go to David to get it undone. Once there I found out the agent who had insured me initially in Boquete was no longer with them and he wouldn't tell me, they did. I pay cash now on just about everything, lesson learned.

So I am batting 100 percent hassles with every agent so far, even the ones that appear recommended.

Still waiting to sort my current mess out so I can drive again. Really frustrating to not talk freely about this, with the lovely laws here. References here are really dicey, as odds are (51 percent or more) that the person giving a good reference hasn't had a bad experience (yet).

A good book to read, if interested is "Invisible Bankers" by Andrew Tobias, which is about the insurance industry and how they get in bed with regulators and lobbyists.

When I first came here I could self insure. Not anymore. 

Edited by Pantah

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, TwoSailors said:

We just signed up with Detresno Insurance. Gloria is great. Returns emails and phone calls very quickly.

She is saving us $350 a year for car insurance verses our previous agent.

detresno@usa.net

http://www.detresnoinsurance.com/about-us--our-services.html

Her service is unequalled in Chiriqui! 

Edited by Pederhaney
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, TwoSailors said:

We just signed up with Detresno Insurance. Gloria is great. Returns emails and phone calls very quickly.

She is saving us $350 a year for car insurance verses our previous agent.

detresno@usa.net

http://www.detresnoinsurance.com/about-us--our-services.html

I'll give two cents worth on this topic since I have had some claims experience for both house and car.  Several years ago, a guy with a brush bumper on his pickup cut his wheels too soon backing out of a parking space at Rey and it excavated the side of my car.  It took almost 8 months  of constant prodding to get his insurance company to pay for the damage and even then I had to run all over David to get estimates from their approved repair shops.  If I hadn't had help from my insurance agent, my car wouldn't be repaired today.  I had two big lessons learned from that one.  The first is that I wouldn't want to have my insurance from that other guy's company, no matter how cheap it might be.  And, second, we all need to get our insurance from an agent who will service us during the policy term.

• Upvote 1