Malientes are in Alto Boquete area!

NewsLady

The Malientes are back in the Alto Boquete area!  A Loma Colorada maliente was spotted in the area of Plaza San Francisco yesterday walking the neighborhood, Tuesday March 15.  Clearly, he was a long way from home!  My housekeeper lives in his neighborhood, and when she went out front to empty our garbage, they spotted each other.  He was on foot.  She was nervous about his presence in this area and reported it to me immediately.  The assumption is that he was casing the neighborhood. 

We were on our way down to David to take our housekeeper home, so we stopped at the check point at the Caldera road to tell the police.  They said they'd radio to "someone" to let them know that there may be activity in the area.  Be vigilant with your community watch program and keep an eye out for unfamiliar people in your neighborhood.  When my husband and I returned from David, we stopped at the check point again to tell the police that my housekeeper divulged the maliente's nickname.  There were different officers at the checkpoint, but they had heard the report.  I told him the nickname in case that was a familiar person to the police.  He said they’d really like a photo so they could identify the person. 

The officer said that these malientes often ride the bus to the area.

It’s very possible that he is a "scout" for his group and will report his findings of the neighborhood back to them.  So we don’t really know yet, whether he’s a thief and/or home invader, or a scout.  My housekeeper said he is not a "member" of a gang because as far as she knows, they don't have official members; but that he is known to be associated with a group of malientes.  Keep your cameras close to document anything which could turn out to be helpful in the future.  You never know…

Create a photo file for suspicious activities/characters.  Drop these photos into it for possible future reference.

Just as a confirmation side note:  I have a house in Loma Colorada and we lived in that barrio for a time, so that's how I have a housekeeper from the neighborhood and other workers from there as well.

So, this morning, when one of our workers arrived, I told him about the maliente who was walking thru our Alto Boquete neighborhood yesterday.  The worker's eyes got big.  I told him the maliente's nickname, and he nodded knowingly.  I asked if he knows who it is.  He nodded.  I asked if he knows the person to be a maliente, he confirmed it.

Continue to be vigilent.  Watch for ANYONE unfamiliar in your neighborhood.  We are the eyes and ears of the community.  We can’t expect the police to be everywhere at once—that goes without saying.

Ilona Urban Blakeley

"All greatness of character is dependent on individuality.  The man who has no other existence than that which partakes in common with all around him,  will never have any other than an existence of mediocrity."
James Fenimore Cooper

• Upvote 1

I see that this notice of the presence of a known criminal in a residential neighborhood set off a tirade by Olga at Boquete.ning. 

Apparently she cannot comprehend the difference between racial/ethnic profiling and neighborhood watch protocols.  I countered with these words:

In the Panamanian neighborhood where I live, my neighbors got all upset one day last year when a known criminal - a fellow Panamanian - was hanging out at our corner our dead-end street in a place where he has no friends, and where there are no public amenities.  The women in my barrio took turns being obvious and watching him from a fairly close distance until he finally left. 

That being said, our street has a couple of paths at the bottom that lead down the hill to Via Boquete below the small cliff near Cefati.  People walk up and down our street all the time - Panamanian, extranjeros and Gnobe.  Nobody cares and no one reacts to their presence and passage. 

Edited by David van Harn
grammar - spelling

14 hours ago, Twin Wolf Technology Group said:

Reading the Ogla's post and the responses, it is clear she does not understand "profiling" vs "observation".    The housekeeper should be commended for being observant as well as relating both her knowledge and concern.   I hope someone will relay the community's appreciation back to the housekeeper.

Suggesting that Olga's purpose and technique is to increase postings on Ning.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Twin Wolf Technology Group said:

Reading the Ogla's post and the responses, it is clear she does not understand "profiling" vs "observation".    The housekeeper should be commended for being observant as well as relating both her knowledge and concern.   I hope someone will relay the community's appreciation back to the housekeeper.

Agreed, Dan. This is profiling.

Trump: "Profiling people prevents crime, ‘if they’re Muslims, they’re Muslims’ "

We want to let you know that our business in David provides a secure place to keep your valuables.  It’s called Nacional Box and it is a safety deposit box vault.  It’s NOT a bank, just safety deposit boxes.  It is modern, very secure, easy to access, and since it is not a bank, there is NO REPORTING to any outside agencies – national or international.  What you keep there is known to you alone.

There are different sizes of safety deposit boxes available.  It’s a secure place to keep:

·         Valuable jewelry or watches that you don’t wear all the time

·         Emergency cash (if, for example, the bank you use is temporarily closed for a government investigation and you can’t access your account – it has happened)

·         Precious metals

·         Bearer shares for your corporation or other valuable papers.

Having a safe in your home is good but you can be forced to open it by a thief in your house.  With Nacional Box, the valuables are not on your property and a thief can’t get to them, whether you are in the house or not.

We invite you to stop by and check out our facility, the next time you are in David.  We are conveniently located and easy to find – along the Pan Am highway, on the way to Pricesmart.  We are open Mon – Fri, 9am to 6pm, and on Saturday, from 9am to 1pm.

Directions from Boquete: take the Boquete-David hwy to the Pan Am hwy.  Turn right (toward Pricesmart).  Just past the 2nd pedestrian overcrossing, you will see a shopping plaza called Chiriqui Center (July Sports is next to the hwy).  Nacional Box is just a couple doors down from July Sports in the Chiriqui Center.  Please let us know you heard about our business on News Boquete.  For more information, please contact us at 730-1269 or info@nacionalbox.com.

4 hours ago, NewsLady said:

Also, the lady who sent this in has a Latino first name and gringo last name indicating to me that she is probably Panamanian married to a gringo.

There are a lot of gringo/European names in Panama that belong to many generation Panamanians:  Ford, Landau, Pitti, Collins to name a few.

44 minutes ago, JudyS said:

If you go out of business, what happens to everyone's stuff that is locked inside?

Hi! We have been in Chiriquí for 4 years now, our business is in its way to expansion, so we are not closing any time soon, thank you for your question, If you have any other I will be happy to answer you.

Regards,

Nacional Box Staff

On 16/3/2016 at 8:50 AM, NewsLady said:

The Malientes are back in the Alto Boquete area!  A Loma Colorada maliente was spotted in the area of Plaza San Francisco yesterday walking the neighborhood, Tuesday March 15.  Clearly, he was a long way from home!  My housekeeper lives in his neighborhood, and when she went out front to empty our garbage, they spotted each other.  He was on foot.  She was nervous about his presence in this area and reported it to me immediately.  The assumption is that he was casing the neighborhood. 

We were on our way down to David to take our housekeeper home, so we stopped at the check point at the Caldera road to tell the police.  They said they'd radio to "someone" to let them know that there may be activity in the area.  Be vigilant with your community watch program and keep an eye out for unfamiliar people in your neighborhood.  When my husband and I returned from David, we stopped at the check point again to tell the police that my housekeeper divulged the maliente's nickname.  There were different officers at the checkpoint, but they had heard the report.  I told him the nickname in case that was a familiar person to the police.  He said they’d really like a photo so they could identify the person. 

The officer said that these malientes often ride the bus to the area.

It’s very possible that he is a "scout" for his group and will report his findings of the neighborhood back to them.  So we don’t really know yet, whether he’s a thief and/or home invader, or a scout.  My housekeeper said he is not a "member" of a gang because as far as she knows, they don't have official members; but that he is known to be associated with a group of malientes.  Keep your cameras close to document anything which could turn out to be helpful in the future.  You never know…

Create a photo file for suspicious activities/characters.  Drop these photos into it for possible future reference.

Just as a confirmation side note:  I have a house in Loma Colorada and we lived in that barrio for a time, so that's how I have a housekeeper from the neighborhood and other workers from there as well.

So, this morning, when one of our workers arrived, I told him about the maliente who was walking thru our Alto Boquete neighborhood yesterday.  The worker's eyes got big.  I told him the maliente's nickname, and he nodded knowingly.  I asked if he knows who it is.  He nodded.  I asked if he knows the person to be a maliente, he confirmed it.

Continue to be vigilent.  Watch for ANYONE unfamiliar in your neighborhood.  We are the eyes and ears of the community.  We can’t expect the police to be everywhere at once—that goes without saying.

Ilona Urban Blakeley

"All greatness of character is dependent on individuality.  The man who has no other existence than that which partakes in common with all around him,  will never have any other than an existence of mediocrity."
James Fenimore Cooper

1 hour ago, TwoSailors said:

Better off having a safe cemented and bolted into the floor in your closet or other discrete location.

We just offer an option in case a person or a company needs it, we are happy to serve anyone who needs our service.  Thanks for your valuable feedback.

2 hours ago, TwoSailors said:

Better off having a safe cemented and bolted into the floor in your closet or other discrete location.

It's not unusual for home invasion robberies to include making the residents open the safe on threat of their lives. There really is no discreet location for something as large as a safe. Robbers know where to look.

Edited by Bonnie
  • Upvote 1