Pests etc.

4 hours ago, Bonnie said:

Where do you find Benadryl here?

You can get it at any farmacia.  Little pink and white capsules.  I bought some a few months ago.  I don't take them for allergies (they turn me into a zombie), but I keep them on hand for emergencies.

Bonnie...keep trying.  Amazon.com I believe is another source on the Benadryl.

Phyllis...Yes the Fer de lance is not only potentially deadly but mean/ aggressive. It hides well and it is well known that  the young teeny ones can be worse than a larger one as they eject more venom due to immaturity.  There may be no warning as with a rattle snake that you can hear.  The Fer de lance can hide extremely well aside a log, dead wood or in a pile of leaves.   Our gardener will not weed a bed without my spraying kangaroo the day before and as well having mothballs tossed about.  He uses gloves and as well a stick to poke before proceeding bit by bit.  You can garden yourself...but hire up a yard guy and work with him and learn how he does it.  If I were to do it again i would not have planted thick low lying garden plants:

Our house "before"qVHKBQ.jpg

And now:

uFlc1c.jpg

We have gravel as opposed to grass which I would not change.  What I would do differently would be to use plants ( shrubs) such as crotons that can be pruned to where you can see the ground all around them.  Walls made of rocks without mortar create a condominium for scorpions and as well neat little hidey-holes for snakes....I'd change that as well.   Meanwhile we know where to be careful and as well we keep our yard fumigated .   We learn a lot from our experienced gardener as well .

In high grass I use boots, a stick in one hand , machete in the other and eyes peeled to the area around me......and as well Kevlar rattlesnake chaps.

jvlt.jpg  We gave up on clearing that field and now keep it low and slow growing with ( unfortunately) herbicide ...............................................................................................Alison

Edited by Brundageba
format adjustment

We use a fumigation service by a guy named Roy.    He does a lot of homes here in Brisas and his scheduled day for Brisas is the last Saturday of each month. (He drives a red pick up)  He sprays an odorless product inside the house along all baseboards.  He then sprays all the yard with a different product.  He usually shows up at our house at around 10 am.  He will as well attend to any special insect issue you have...like those pesky teeny kitchen ants...or even a mouse in the house.

The phone # I have for Roy is 6453-3858 . I believe this # may have changed, and i can't find his card or any of his old receipts.  Roy charges $25.00   I will try to remember to let you know and bring him by your house if you'd like.   Remind me...he won't be here for a couple weeks ...

Alison

• 7 months later...
On 5/8/2016 at 8:55 PM, Evelyn Kendall said:

Another group of beasties to be very careful of are the caterpillars.  They can really give you severe sting as well as allergic reactions that include difficulty breathing, closing of the throat (my experience). 

I just got stung !   Caterpillar the size of my thumb...big. .  Fuzzzy light green.  It was on one of the bushes I was trimming.  Let me tell you that sucker can cause some hurt.   I just grazed it with my ring finger and it feels like I pressed my finger on a hot electric stove.   I immediately took Benadryl and a pain pill then put a local poultice on it plus ice.  I then went outside and smashed the sucker to oblivion ( I wish I had taken a photo first.  )   Wear garden gloves, long sleeved shirt and keep your eyes peeled !!!!!!!

man it still hurts like hell..................

Oh I am so sorry!!! I do know how much it hurts. Incredibly! I was doing some research and one of the suggestions  I found repeated from various sources was to put clorox on the area of the sting....dilute it maybe 50 50 and it is supposed to counteract the venom.  My little dog brushed against one the other day.  First I got packaging tape and applied the sticky side the where the sting was in order to pull out any remaining spines.  Dipped his foot in clorox dilurion and poked some benadryl down him.  He did ok and the venom did not seem to travel up his leg.  When I was stung years ago on my hand it went all the way to closing my throat and I went all the way to the emergency clinic (we had one back then) for IV anti histamine (I think that's what it was)

There are a LOT of caterpillars this year it seems. All of the most poisonous have showed up at my house.  If they look really pretty and have lots of fancy feathers, bristles....do not touch.  Well, really don't touch any of them!

There are lots of these fuzzy caterpillars, and I've been told by my Panamanian friends and landscaper to avoid all of them at all costs. I'm so sorry, Alison.

Just to inject a little humor into this misery, I found one on my front porch several weeks ago that looked just like Donald Trump's hair.

On 5/7/2016 at 9:26 PM, Bonnie said:

Doug, as you know, I live just below you. We've never seen a scorpion in the eight years we've been in our house (in Palo Alto). Friends who live down the hill just past George's Fireside Grill often have them, however. Maybe you and I are just high enough that they're not comfortable here? I would be interested in knowing if those who live high up in Jaramillo, Volcancito, Alto Quiel, etc. have problem with scorpions. If it's not the altitude, I do not know what to contribute it to. When we rented in Santa Lucia while building, we were plagued with scorpions.

I live in Jaramillo Arriba, almost seven months now.  I've seen three scorpions so far, a couple of small ones and a larger one.  I don't like killing things so I just put a small plastic bowl or other type of container over the scorpion (or other bug), then slide a piece of thin cardboard or laminated paper or something similar (larger that the opening of the bowl or container) underneath and take it outside and let the scorpion / but go to it's natural habitat.  The scorpions don't seem to move too fast so it's pretty each to catch then like that.  That works for when you see them.  I've also been advised to make sure my shoes and other potential hiding places are clean before use.