Panama's residential internet, the second fastest in all of Latin America

• Moderators

El internet residencial de Panamá, el segundo más rápido de toda Latinoamérica

Cable Onda recibe el primer lugar en Panamá de los premios Speedtest Awards™ 2020 con un puntaje de velocidad de 55.21. Acreditándolo como el internet más rápido de Panamá.

Presentado por: Cable Onda 
27 jul 2020 - 12:00 AM

https://www.prensa.com/tecnologia/el-internet-residencial-de-panama-el-segundo-mas-rapido-de-toda-latinoamerica/

• Moderator_02 changed the title to Panama's residential internet, the second fastest in all of Latin America

The speed is the same on regular cable or fiber when it leaves the distribution center. All fiber does is provide more Band Width and stable speed. Fiber gives the opportunity for more customers on the line with less lag/buffer time. Certainly more stable also. One problem with fiber, when the glass is broken it takes a long time to repair. Copper can be repaired in a few minutes. Also, most companies DO NOT run fiber into the house or structure. So, you will have copper in the house in most cases. More up to date countries are running fiber into houses but it is not necessarry. The short runs of copper in a house or structure will likely not effect speed or band width. Distance and resistance on copper is critical. So, short runs are not effected. Cat5 and Cat6 in house copper wiring has a limit of 5000-6000 ft with out the need for a repeater/booster. Fiber/Glass wire has little to no resistance but does have band width for more customers. All cables are Bi-Directional (trans/recieve). In a house you Always recieve more than you transmit. This shows up on speed test as download speed and upload speed. Down load is always the faster. The speed is determined in the equipment room and not determine by the cable. You get what you pay for in other words.

Edited by Hil

52 minutes ago, Pantah said:

1000 meg, first 3 months, $33/mo from Cable and Wireless. The fiber cable goes into the box inside my house.

Was that a "package deal" or just for the Internet??  How many Mbps after the 3 months??  Do you have a point of contact ??

THANKS

21 hours ago, JohnF13 said:

Hmmm, “get what you pay for”?  Before I fired Cable Onda they were charging me $50 for 3 meg speed.  Those with fiber were getting up to 100 meg or so for the same price, so I don’t see how that argument stands up.

there is no argument.