Suggestion: More time to edit - 15 minutes, please

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Actually, I like the way NING does it. The original poster can edit their post at any time and they can delete their post if there are no replies to it.

If that is an option that is available, I like Penny's suggestion. That is the same with FaceBook.

The locking function is a configurable option. It is my judgment that our community will be best served by locking postings after a grace period. That judgment is based on the type of information resource we want to provide to our community, coupled with experiences from operating Boquete.org many years ago, prior to the other websites servicing our community.

I do appreciate your candid feedback, and your thoughts are not now forgotten. Rather these kinds of feedback are filed in the suggestion box for aperiodic review.

As I see it, there are a couple of advantages in being able to delete a post. First, you may receive a response that makes the original post irrelevant or proves it to be wrong. Secondly, sometimes posts are made in the heat of the moment which, upon further reflection and a cool head, the originator thinks it best to remove.

I am going to be the odd man out here on this discussion because I actually like the fact that you cannot go back in and delete your posts after a reasonable time period.   If you have ever tried to read some old Ning posts, where comments were removed, the entire thread becomes a jumbled mess.   Not only does this happen when the you delete your own posts but your posts also disappear when an account is closed (by you or the admin).   I am unable to find any of Greg Meyers posts, so trying reading a thread where he had posted any information.  (good or bad).   Ning lost a great deal of good information because of this policy when many of the members, including myself, closed our accounts.

If the object is to build and keep a record of information - you need the entire thread as originally posted.   Chiriqui LIfe appears to be trying to do this with all of the various categories to make research easier at a later time.

Now, in fairness, do I want to go back and removed or edit something I posted in the heat of the moment - OF COURSE, but that is the price you pay.   You learn not to make that mistake and to wait for a cooler head before posting.   You also realize people are human.   We make typos and we say stupid stuff we regret later.  You learn to apologize and have a change of heart.

To my way of thinking, once you post on a public discussion board, you no longer own the content.   If you post on your own blog, then you have that ability because you still own the content.   

As I said, I am probably in the minority but I like the record to be as it was without any alterations so I can see the entire thought process and how it progressed throughout the discussion - errors and all.

• Upvote 1

I also agree. I've been confused more than once when someone on .ning was responding to something said by a particular person and that person doesn't show any posts. It leaves you clueless as to what was said to bring on a certain response. 

• Upvote 1