How Do I Find or 'Go To' the First Unread Post Within a Forum?

JudyS

Question

Is there a way to open a thread at the latest post (like in ning)?  If a thread is very long, you have to scroll all the way from the beginning to get to the latest comment.  I see I can be emailed when a new comment is posted, but I would rather find it another way.  The one on electronics is getting long.

Edited by Admin_01
Added tags
  • Downvote 1

11 answers to this question

• Administrators

The short answer is yes, you can be taken directly to the first unread post in a topic thread.

While inside a forum (where the topic titles are listed, not inside a post or outside a forum, such as a category) a fairly large black 'dot' will be displayed to the left of the title of all available topics within that forum that you have not yet read. If that black dot is present, then it means that there is at least one post that you have not yet seen. Click on that black dot and the software will take you directly to the first unread post. It may in fact be the only post, but it is still the first unread post.

Be careful because fairly large, black 'dots' and other similar icons can appear in various places on this website. The only one you need to concern yourself with is if there is a black dot immediately to the left of the topic title.

Let me know if this works for you.

P.S., I am replacing the prior lengthy, detailed answer with this short, concise version.

• Administrators

Here is a bit of "add-on" information about going to the first unread post in a thread: If you hover your mouse over the black circular icon in front of the name of a post, then it provides a tip that says "Go to first unread post". Obviously this will only work for a desktop/laptop system, not a mobile or tablet.

Both the software and your hard working staff (such as it is) here at Chiriqui.Life are trying to make things easier for you.

I hovered the mouse over the black bubble on several of the topics, and all it said is "Mark as read"  There was no option to read only what I haven't read, no "Go to first unread post."  I'm on a desktop, not a mobile.

• Administrators

I hovered the mouse over the black bubble on several of the topics, and all it said is "Mark as read"  There was no option to read only what I haven't read, no "Go to first unread post."  I'm on a desktop, not a mobile.

Judy, oh Judy,

Just click on the black circular DOT (not the unread bubble icon).

Let me know if you need more help.

• Administrators

The reason for revisiting this question is that members are reading this thread and getting confused because of incorrect information.

On 10/17/2015 at 9:22 PM, JudyS said:

There is no black dot.

See screen print.  Deborah's solution works best.

CL.docx

The screen capture that you provided clearly shows that you were NOT in a forum.

Deborah's solution takes you to the last post, not the first unread post. Decide what it is that you want to see, then pick the tool that provides it. You are in control.

The key to invoking the tool that you expect to use is understanding the context in which you are working (that means what window display you are using) and then picking the correct navigation tool for the desired outcome. There are many such tools (some might say too many).

On 10/17/2015 at 9:49 PM, JudyS said:

I see you have to open the topic to see the black dot.  That was not in the instructions.  I like Deborah's method better.  Enough said.

The phrase "...have to open the topic..." is not correct information. The black dot that I refer to is at the forum level, not while inside a topic. My answer did include the correct instructions. Please re-read the first sentence in the second paragraph of my answer, which is quoted here with highlighting and bolding for emphasis:

While inside a forum (where the topic titles are listed, not inside a post or outside a forum, such as a category) a fairly large black 'dot' will be displayed to the left of the title of all available topics within that forum that you have not yet read.

In closing, note that the first unread post in a topic and the last post in a topic may be the same post, but that is not always the case. Consider a topic that has, for example, ten postings, the first six of which you have already seen, and remaining four are unseen by you. Using the first unread post tool would take you to post number seven, whereas the last post tool would take you to post number ten. If, on the other hand, that topic had only six posts and number six was the only post that you have not yet seen, then both tools would take you to post number six. See the difference?

Your question was about going to the first unread post in a topic. Deborah's approach takes you to the last post, not the first unread post. You get to decide what it is that you wish to read, and then use the appropriate tool to achieve that goal. There are many options available to you.

If you need more help, please ask. That is our job.

• Administrators

Good idea, Bonnie.

CL is structured in a hierarchical manner. I will try to explain this graphically:

• Channels (the Forums, Blogs, Gallery, Calendar, etc.)

• Categories (talking only about within the Forums channel here). Currently there are only four categories: Topical Forums, Classified Ads (Buy/Sell), Commentary/Personal/News Feeds/Panama in General (you cannot post in a category)

• Forums List (where the names of the forums are shown, typically in alphabetical order). Can also contain sub-categorizes (you cannot post in a forums list)

• Forum (where the content is at its lowest level of compartmentalization). This is where you create a new topic.

• Topics/Postings (topics consist of postings, in which the first posting is the topic, and all others are replies) (this is where you can add a reply to an existing topic)

If you still have a question, let me know. This is not easy stuff to explain.