The 2020 Influenza Season and Immunization Efforts

Just to get some context for the statistics, I looked up Panama on the World Health Organization website.

The most recent year available at WHO is 2015 (MINSA probably has more recent), but this is what they have for that year:

Total deaths, all causes, in Panama in 2015: 18,182

Deaths in Panama from Influenza, Pneumonia and Chronic Lower Respiratory Disease in 2015: 1,053

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Moderator comment: The following news article is about influenza vaccinations arriving in Panama. That this article is being published now suggests a big "push" by Minsa for everyone to get their flu vaccinations so as to circumvent yet another widespread health challenge at the same time as the Covid-19 pandemic.

Panamá recibe 1 millón 442 mil 920 vacunas contra la influenza

6eb160df-ea87-4450-ad17-695b424eabe4_16-9-aspect-ratio_default_0.jpg

Panamá recibe 1 millón 442 mil 920 vacunas contra la influenza. @MINSAPma

Catherine Perea

Este 9 de abril de 2020 llegó a Panamá 1 millón 442 mil 920 dosis de vacunas contra la influenza, por un monto de B/.8 millones, anunció el Ministerio de Salud (Minsa).

La distribución de las vacunas a diferentes regiones de salud iniciará el próximo 13 de abril, mientras que el 15 y 16 de abril se despachará en hospitales públicos y privados.

Será aplicada priorizando a funcionarios de salud, niños menores de 5 años, adultos mayores de 60 años, mujeres embarazadas, pacientes con enfermedades crónicas y a la población de áreas indígenas.

Debido a la cuarentena absoluta por la pandemia del nuevo coronavirus en el país, la aplicación de la vacuna se realizará de acuerdo al último número de la cédula los días lunes, miércoles y viernes a mujeres y los martes y jueves a hombres.

Rosario Turner, ministra de Salud, aclaró que estas vacunas son para manejo de influenza y no de coronavirus.

Puede haber personas que tengan los dos virus, esa es una circunstancia que ocasionalmente se presenta, pero no plantear equivocadamente, lo que se estpa buscando es reducir que otro virus se sume a la situación que se pueda dar en el país”, sostuvo Turner.

Adelantó que el próximo 19 de abril llegará otra cantidad de vacunas.

Moderator comment: Below is an unedited automated translation of the above news article.

Panama receives 1,442,920 influenza vaccines

<<6eb160df-ea87-4450-ad17-695b424eabe4_16-9-aspect-ratio_default_0.jpg>>

Panama receives 1,442,920 influenza vaccines. @MINSAPma

Catherine Perea • Apr 9, 2020 - 03:57 PM

This April 9, 2020, 1,442,920 doses of influenza vaccines arrived in Panama, for an amount of B / .8 million, announced the Ministry of Health (Minsa).

The distribution of vaccines to different health regions will begin on April 13, while on April 15 and 16 it will be delivered in public and private hospitals.

It will be applied prioritizing health officials, children under 5, adults over 60, pregnant women, patients with chronic diseases and the population of indigenous areas.

Due to the absolute quarantine due to the pandemic of the new coronavirus in the country, the application of the vaccine will be carried out according to the last number of the ID card on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for women and on Tuesdays and Thursdays for men.

Rosario Turner, Minister of Health, clarified that these vaccines are for the management of influenza and not coronavirus.

"There may be people who have the two viruses, that is a circumstance that occasionally arises, but not raise it wrongly, what is being sought is to reduce that another virus adds to the situation that may occur in the country," said Turner .

He announced that next April 19 another number of vaccines will arrive.

https://www.telemetro.com/nacionales/2020/04/09/panama-recibe-1-millon-442/2761073.html

• Moderators

COVID-19 death toll at 103 as flu shots begin

april-15-covid.jpg

Posted 15/04/2020

The Panama  death toll  from COVID-19 climbed to 103 on Wednesday, April 15 and 177 new cases  brought the  cumulative total since the first case was registered to 3,751   Meanwhile, with the rainy season at hand, The Minister of Health, Rosario Turner, announced that appointments for influenza vaccines will be scheduled starting next week through the 800-6467 hotline, , according to age.

https://www.newsroompanama.com/health/covid-19-death-toll-at-103-as-flu-shots-begin-1

• Moderator_02 changed the title to The 2020 Influenza Season and Immunization Efforts
  • Moderators

Vacunación masiva en tiempos de aislamiento

Miguel Mayo Di Bello

https://www.prensa.com/impresa/opinion/vacunacion-masiva-en-tiempos-de-aislamiento/

• 2 weeks later...

flu.jpg.58cbb65688b30294b02cf6016c837cb4.jpgSo, I announced to my friends last week that I was planning on getting a flu shot on Monday during my two hour old-folks window. Wow, I'm astounded by how many of the seemingly rational people I hang out with don't believe in the shot and (even worse) believe it is a Bill Gates plot to kill off half of the world's population. Amazing !!!! 

Okay, for those who are still in your right minds, here's how to do it. I arrived at the Social Security Clinic across from the Bomberos about 10:45. There is a desk set up outside and to the right of the front door. I was the only one there at the time for the shot. The technician checks your cedula and updates your yellow card (if you have one). He asks you how old you are and what neighborhood you live in. Then we waited for the nurse who finally came at 11. The technician had told me I could also get a pneumonia shot but the nurse told me that the pneumonia vaccine wouldn't be available until May. The shot was given quickly and painlessly and I was on my way. It was free. There was only one other person waiting behind me.

Edited by Penny
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

As a reminder, the flu shots are given at the clinic across the street from Bomberos, NOT at the Bomberos. Also, be sure to bring your yellow international immunization card, if you have one. We also understand that you must show your cedula. No idea what happens if someone goes for a flu shot with a jubilado carnet (with or without their passport).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Moderator comment: For specific details about getting a flu vaccination at the clinic in Boquete, please read Marcelyn's blog posting: Click Here.

Over 535,000 flu vaccinations in  18 days -call now

flu-shot.jpg

Posted 09/05/2020

Over  half a million influenza vaccines have been applied in Panama in 18 days said The Ministry of Health  (Minsa) on Saturday, May 9.

The doses applied since the vaccination process began on April 15. totaled 535,324

It is highlighted that the statistics for 2020 reflect a drop in vaccines given to children under five years of age and pregnant women.

The Ministry reminded that the current vaccination is different from that of the previous year, due to the sanitary instructions that must be put into practice due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Efforts are being made to vaccinate children under five, pregnant women and older adults with or without chronic diseases as a priority.

From May 11 to 15, the Expanded Program on Immunization (PAI) of the Minsa will continue using the appointment line 800-6467

https://www.newsroompanama.com/health/over-535000-flu-vaccinations-in-18-days-call-now

• 2 weeks later...
Special announcement from @minsapma in Chiriquí.
Dear Citizenship we want to invite you to take advantage of this Wednesday, Thursday and Friday so you can get the dose of the influenza vaccine, as it will be the last days, they will be available in the fast car of Vaccination in Plaza Terronal.
We reiterate until next Friday we will be providing this ease and later we will release how vaccination will be announced.
We have successfully applied about 5 thousand vaccines at this point.
We appreciate your attention.
Nursing Department / Ministry of Health Chiriquí
No photo description available.

• Thanks 1