Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello there,

I have a doubt regarding to internet services. For those who live at downtown Boquete, is there anybody who already has Fiber to the Home (FTTH)?

From what I've heard, Cable & Wireless Panama started deploying their fiber-to-the-home services to boquete residents firstly.

I wanted to know how good or bad it is; its ping, latency, speed, etc. Which type of PON devices are they providing and if the service is NATted or bridged (direct Public IP).

Any information will be appreciated.

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was not aware that any ISP was providing FTTH in our area. Was hoping someone would respond, but not yet.

Have you learned anything more since posting?

I suspect your use of “PON” terminology went over the heads of just about everyone. Guess you might be a geek. Not trying to disparage, just commenting.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fiber Optic is now in the underground duct work in Boquete Country Club. I don't know if the houses are connected yet or not. They ran the fiber down on the road headed to Palmira a month ago. I don't know how far they went towards Palmira. I have Netflix and 60 mg internet without issues. If you noticed they were running new fiber up and down the main road from David to Boquete for months. Maybe they will connect soon and provide more band width, speed and capacity. I recieved maintenance emails from Cabla Onda everytime the Fiber people worked on the highway laying the fiber. I do not believe it is functional yet. The reason; I do NOT see any difference in my internet or cable TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Cable and Wireless installed Fibre Optic cable into my home about 2 weeks ago.

So far, so good. Higher speeds, no interruptions. Reduced my monthly internet costs slightly and added a few features.

image.png.f9fa877f48177967fb3e9627b454de7d.png

* Heads up.

This may not be the service for U.S. citizens who are aligned and in agreement with the anti-HUAWEI policies of the U.S. governmen.  The hardware is all HAUWEI.

2A4EFE82-3AEC-4A59-A082-85EF622ED384.jpeg

Edited by Keith Woolford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2020 at 7:42 AM, Keith Woolford said:

Cable and Wireless installed Fibre Optic cable into my home about 2 weeks ago.

So far, so good. Higher speeds, no interruptions. Reduced my monthly internet costs slightly and added a few features.

image.png.f9fa877f48177967fb3e9627b454de7d.png

* Heads up.

This may not be the service for U.S. citizens who are aligned and in agreement with the anti-HUAWEI policies of the U.S. governmen.  The hardware is all HAUWEI.

2A4EFE82-3AEC-4A59-A082-85EF622ED384.jpeg

 

 

In addition to the US, many countries throughout the world have instated "bans" on further Huawei communications installments.  This "ban" is only of concern to nations who are innovators in technology and or who are of global strategic military significance.  Japan who by far leads the world in innovation to name one.  Militarily wise, specifically NATO members, the US in North America and Australia in the South Pacific, for their dominant nuclear military strength and strategic geographically located military installations respectively.
 
 
We're lucky here in Latin America like in many parts of the world in that there's very little if none at all technological innovation and certainly no significant military installations to speak of.  Here we're blessed with the tranquility of nature, agriculture, and tourism.

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Siempre Soluciones said:

This "ban" is only of concern to nations

Ban?  Never mentioned one.

Policies of the U.S. government concerning Hauwei, the likes of which forced the arrest of a Canadian resident in Canada, are definitely a concern to other nations.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Ban?  Never mentioned one.

Policies of the U.S. government concerning Hauwei, the likes of which forced the arrest of a Canadian resident in Canada, are definitely a concern to other nations.

 

 

 

The ban is the only issue that I'm aware of with Huawei, perhaps you could share with us any additional information you may have. 

 

As for that Canadian being arrested, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police saw merit in the charges and thus arrested them and proceeded with an extradition trail.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Siempre Soluciones said:

As for that Canadian being arrested, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police saw merit in the charges

It's not up to the RCMP to determine merit when there is a code Red Interpol warrant., only whether it's valid to be executed.  

* Red: To seek arrest of a wanted person for whom an arrest warrant has been issued and where extradition will likely be requested. (Note: An arrest warrant from another country has no legal status in Canada.)

The woman in question, Meng Wanzhou, is fighting extradition, in part because her alleged conduct was not illegal in Canada, an argument known legally as "double criminality".

In any case, if you're anti-Hauwei, the C and W system won't be for you.

Edited by Keith Woolford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Keith Woolford said:

It's not up to the RCMP to determine merit when there is a code Red Interpol warrant., only whether it's valid to be executed.  

* Red: To seek arrest of a wanted person for whom an arrest warrant has been issued and where extradition will likely be requested. (Note: An arrest warrant from another country has no legal status in Canada.)

The woman in question, Meng Wanzhou, is fighting extradition, in part because her alleged conduct was not illegal in Canada, an argument known legally as "double criminality".

This arrest has led to major diplomatic problems for Canada and several retaliatory arrests of Canadians in China.

So yes, the U.S. government's policies concerning Hauwei are definitely of concern to other counties.

In any case, if you too, are anti-Hauwei, the Ca&W system won't be for you.

 

Edited by Keith Woolford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2020 at 6:26 AM, Bud said:

I was not aware that any ISP was providing FTTH in our area. Was hoping someone would respond, but not yet.

Have you learned anything more since posting?

I suspect your use of “PON” terminology went over the heads of just about everyone. Guess you might be a geek. Not trying to disparage, just commenting.

I have not learned anything yet.

The PON (Passive Optical Network) device is interesting to know about. I was wondering which ones is C&W using for this purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2020 at 6:48 AM, Hil said:

Fiber Optic is now in the underground duct work in Boquete Country Club. I don't know if the houses are connected yet or not. They ran the fiber down on the road headed to Palmira a month ago. I don't know how far they went towards Palmira. I have Netflix and 60 mg internet without issues. If you noticed they were running new fiber up and down the main road from David to Boquete for months. Maybe they will connect soon and provide more band width, speed and capacity. I recieved maintenance emails from Cabla Onda everytime the Fiber people worked on the highway laying the fiber. I do not believe it is functional yet. The reason; I do NOT see any difference in my internet or cable TV.

It is interesting to point out that sometimes ISP companies mistreat the technologies for the sake of confusion. Cable Onda so far here in Chiriqui use HFC which is a hybrid between cable and fiber optics. From what I know, they use optic cables for Premium services (Telecarrier's pure dedicated fiber) and for the nodes. So, they deploy their cabling from the nodes and for the end mile, they use normal coax cable.

C&W also uses the same but they were announcing to be provisioning clients pure fiber (Fiber to the home) but for now, I was told that only in Boquete. 

A real FTTH connection will provide better stability, less latency, and overall better internet. With the plus that fiber does not get attenuated or to "get down" as coax does.

Edited by Jatsotserah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2020 at 7:42 AM, Keith Woolford said:

Cable and Wireless installed Fibre Optic cable into my home about 2 weeks ago.

So far, so good. Higher speeds, no interruptions. Reduced my monthly internet costs slightly and added a few features.

image.png.f9fa877f48177967fb3e9627b454de7d.png

* Heads up.

This may not be the service for U.S. citizens who are aligned and in agreement with the anti-HUAWEI policies of the U.S. governmen.  The hardware is all HAUWEI.

2A4EFE82-3AEC-4A59-A082-85EF622ED384.jpeg

The speed result is quite achievable for a DOCSIS device and as I see the MoCA adapter (right small device), I can assume that you are under cable and not fiber. I might be wrong.

A picture from the connector side would be nice to see in order to clarify the technology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/6/2020 at 8:24 AM, Siempre Soluciones said:

In addition to the US, many countries throughout the world have instated "bans" on further Huawei communications installments.  This "ban" is only of concern to nations who are innovators in technology and or who are of global strategic military significance.  Japan who by far leads the world in innovation to name one.  Militarily wise, specifically NATO members, the US in North America and Australia in the South Pacific, for their dominant nuclear military strength and strategic geographically located military installations respectively.

 
 
We're lucky here in Latin America like in many parts of the world in that there's very little if none at all technological innovation and certainly no significant military installations to speak of.  Here we're blessed with the tranquility of nature, agriculture, and tourism.

 

Offtopic: From what we know, no system is invulnerable. Even the ones made in this continent. At least in Panama, we don't have to fear about those bans or political persecution in this regard.

Edited by Jatsotserah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jatsotserah said:

It is interesting to point out that sometimes ISP companies mistreat the technologies for the sake of confusion. Cable Onda so far here in Chiriqui use HFC which is a hybrid between cable and fiber optics. From what I know, they use optic cables for Premium services (Telecarrier's pure dedicated fiber) and for the nodes. So, they deploy their cabling from the nodes and for the end mile, they use normal coax cable.

C&W also uses the same but they were announcing to be provisioning clients pure fiber (Fiber to the home) but for now, I was told that only in Boquete. 

A real FTTH connection will provide better stability, less latency, and overall better internet. With the plus that fiber does not get attenuated or to "get down" as coax does.

That's really fast! How expensive? Last week c/w ran optic down my street and said i could connect in a week or two. How did you get notified it was ready? I know I need to sign a new contract to get it, but the office is closed and the c/w website isn't much help. I currently have 3 meg ADSL line from c/w.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Pantah said:

That's really fast! How expensive? Last week c/w ran optic down my street and said i could connect in a week or two. How did you get notified it was ready? I know I need to sign a new contract to get it, but the office is closed and the c/w website isn't much help. I currently have 3 meg ADSL line from c/w.

I asked one of the clerks at Terronal a few months ago but they said by then that only Boquete Downtown. Thus, the origin of this post. They told me that probably will be deploying to more places later on into the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Fibre Optic direct to the Modem

image.png.c862516903dd15af44ff5eb8966bc4e9.png

This is so cool! I'm glad about you. Did they provide extra speed tiers? How's bandwidth behaving during peak hours? Tell us more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...