Chiriqui Life vs Boquete.ning - no anger - just a comparison...

¡Hola, mi amigos!

Although I prefer the format of the Ning forum platform over this Invision Community Software platform, now that I stop by every day, I am beginning to realize that the content here is much more relevant for me as a "settled in" expat who loves living here.  Plus, a lot of my friends hang out there

Although I still occasionally visit to read and post at Boquete.ning, that community forum website is a shadow of it's former self without a strong sense of connection to the core expat community of Boquete.  I am aware that many of you here were summarily excluded from ning, and the forums there now represents only a fraction of the community compared to the past.  Indeed, the forum there would be pretty dead without admin postings of new discussions, many of which are not even related to the community.  However, it does have a lot of informational content and links, and the word "Boquete" in the name will probably attract a number of people looking up Boquete for the first time.    

I look forward to contributing and participating more at Chiriqui Life. 

• Upvote 2

Well said David.

Just wait, CL will keep getting better and better. 500 members now and probably 1000 by the middle of rainy season.

You might put a post on BN and invite the few remaining there to come over here and test out the waters! ( But then again if you do, you might get banned like a lot of us have)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Dottie Atwater said:

..."a  shadow of it's former self" means "a shadow of it is former self..."  (Sorry, I just can't help myself!) Nevertheless, welcome to CL, David.)

Sheesh!  Tripped up again by that pesky "sometimes there is an apostrophe to indicate the possessive form - and sometimes there isn't." 

At least I don't say "me and her" instead of "she and I."  And just where does that period belong - inside or outside the quotation mark?

On February 13, 2016 at 10:05 PM, TwoSailors said:

Inside of the quotation mark. From my writer wife, who has a Journalism Degree.

Exactly. I don't have a journalism degree, but I know the English language. Other errors that make my teeth grind are the misuse of the verbs "to lie" and "to lay."

Please forgive me..I'm not criticizing anyone. Sometimes I can't remove my "editor's hat." We all know what one intends to say (write).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 2 months later...

While ever-so-grateful for Chiriqui.Life, I sure miss Lee. A gentlemen's gentleman, a real cool character, the reader of the pulses, the diviner of the stirred entrails ... and I miss others of those that have gone on before: the have-its and the ain't-got-so-much-of-its, the wise and the wacky, the sublime and the absurd, the movers and shakers ...

Ahhh, what a river.

Putting the mental into the sentimental,

wryawry

Under Lee's guidance, participation, collaboration, and even dissension were encouraged which provided a wealth of information and a broad spectrum of opinion. All of which made .ning a true community forum, imo.

I also miss our always friendly chats and verbal jousts that were exchanged when we would bump into each other.

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to dredge this up again, but one feature from that .thing that I do miss is the resource of the Groups. I pine for the days when one could formulate a Group of like-minded individuals like, for instance, "Rocket Surgeons", and then proceed to trash-talk anybody or anything that was not intellectually, morally, culturally, or spurtchully aligned with the Group's agenda. This is an important tool in the promulgation of the "Us vs: them" mindset that keeps exciting tensions simmering at the near-boiling point and stimulates stimulating intercourse. Or simulated stimuli.

While stipulating that many (most) (nearly all) of the Groups that I personally participated in were comprised of Membership roles equaling exactly one soul, we nonetheless contributed Very Important Social Commentary right out there at the razor's edge of the Human Condition. Reaction ran the gamut from vigorous yawning to thrilled puzzlement, resulting in productive page-clicking to get the hell away from that which was proffered as quickly as possible. 

Those tomes? Priceless.

However, compendiums are available during this limited-time offer at only $9.99 Balboas.

Stretching the boundaries of Evolution, for the good of the Group,

wryawry

• Upvote 1

The most impressive thing about the new improved other site is the large number of like minded individuals. And really top-flight comments, such as this one from yesterday:  ""Hello, My name is princess. a young lady, I got attracted and impressed when i read through your profile, and be cam interested in you i will like you.to send me email (princcessaffin@hotmail.com""

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Gordon Bakke said:

The most impressive thing about the new improved other site is the large number of like minded individuals. And really top-flight comments, such as this one from yesterday:  ""Hello, My name is princess. a young lady, I got attracted and impressed when i read through your profile, and be cam interested in you i will like you.to send me email (princcessaffin@hotmail.com""

I believe this is called spamming.

Hope your e-mail address was never used on "the other site".

18 hours ago, Deborah said:

Dav, I couldn't help but notice that you often offer products and services for $9.99 Balboas (http://www.chiriqui.life/search/?type=all&q=%249.99+Balboas ).  Most people automatically round that up to $10 instead of falling for the 1cent change.  You might make more sales at say, for instance, $9.25.  Just my 74 cents.

Perhaps you'd enjoy our handy financing option:

Thirteen and one-half easy payments of $.74 Balboas.

• Upvote 1