Sign in to follow this  
Moderator_02

Panama and the Coronavirus Outbreak That Started in Wuhan, China

It's hardly the common cold. This morning there were 49,799 people currently sick with the virus.  Of those, 9,211 are hospitalized in "serious or critical" condition. Today, Iran is reporting 95 new cases and 15 deaths.  I doubt they are exaggerating.

I wish the news people would provide comparative statistics for several previous "flu seasons" of number of people "infected" and number of pneumonia deaths. I'm guessing that there is little change year-over-year, and if there is, it may be explained by the gradual ageing of populations.

Panama bound Air China flights on hold through March

air-china.jpg

Posted 25/02/2020

Air China will maintain the suspension of flights on the Houston-Panama-Houston route through March said an airline statement on Twitter on Tuesday, February 25.

The statement added that the airline will subsequently announce the resumption of flights to Panama.

During the month of February, this route was suspended as part of the security measures of many airlines following the spread of the new coronavirus (Covid-19).

In Panama, where no case of coronavirus has been detected, the Ministry of Health (Minsa) continues to review passengers arriving on flights from Asia, Europe, and the United States.

In addition, a provisional evacuation area for symptomatic passengers or meeting the criteria of Covid19 has been enabled at Tocumen International airport.

https://www.newsroompanama.com/travel/panama-bound-air-china-flights-on-hold-through-march

Flu mortality rate varies year to year and that may be related more to the type of particular strain of the virus circulating that year than anything else.  This year, in the US, the flu season is worse than normal and there is a higher rate of mortality among the very young than is usual. Still, except for some outlier years like 1918, the mortality rate for flu is about 0.5% or less on an annual basis.

Of course, COVID-19 is not a strain of flu at all.  It's in a different family of viruses that behave differently.  Unfortunately, without a laboratory test it's difficult to determine whether a person is infected with it because the symptoms are very similar to respiratory flu.  There aren't other flu-like symptoms which involve the gastrointestinal tract.

• Thanks 1

Start beefing up your immune system.  Vit C...eat tangerines !.   Muntivitamin...start some.  Continue to be mindful of NO hands to nose. & mouth !

Here a bonus: CORDYCEPS mushrooms: IMPROVES ENERGY, IMMUNITY BOOSTER NusaPure ( brand name) Cordyceps Extract significantly boosts energy and immunity. It has long been known to boost energy and endurance among athletes. Cordyceps powder increases the amount of oxygen and improves energy production. Cordyceps also directly stimulates the body’s first line of defense against infections and a wide range of ailments, making it helpful in improving immunity.

Look it up online for information.  I got mine from Amazon..made in the USA BTW.   I just ordered 2 more bottles.  I learned of it when I was watching Anthony Bourdain's last show and he was talking about Cordyceps with a gentleman in Tibet.  I was so impress by what was said, I ordered some then.  

Edited by Brundageba

On 2/25/2020 at 2:16 PM, Uncle Doug said:

It's hardly the common cold.

No kidding! I can’t believe the guy gets the air time to spread this kind of nonsense. The rest of his statement was that the whole thing’s a conspiracy (and more’

In my opinion, this is verification that it is absolutely ridiculous that this know-nothing, conspiracy-pushing blowhard was recently awarded the United States highest civilian honor.

Panama  reinforces  checks after  Brazil coronavirus  report

DAD26781-7E14-4927-BC9A-E7A616C5F846.jpeg

Posted 26/02/2020

The Ministry of Health (Minsa)   stepped up epidemiological surveillance at entry points to the country on Wednesday, February after  Brazil will report its first case of the new coronavirus, which has already killed some  3000 people, mostly in China.

According to the reports, the patient is a 61-year-old Brazilian who recently traveled to northern Italy where are 374 cases and 12 deaths.

The man tested positive in a preliminary test,  on Tuesday said the Brazilian Ministry of, and then a second analysis was conducted, which also tested positive on Wednesday.

Upon knowing this case of Brazil, the Pablo González, epidemiologist of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said that epidemiological surveillance will be reinforced throughout the country.

González said that these inspections and surveillance at ports, airports, and borders will be reinforced, in order to safeguard the main points of entry into Panamanian territory.

Dozens of travelers from Mexico to Brazil have been evaluated with symptoms similar to Brazilian, however, this is the first case in Latin America.

On Wednesday a group of epidemiologists from Minsa made a tour in the port of Vacamonte, where ships from different countries with Asian crews arrive.

The epidemiologist of the Western Panama Region, Lorena Merlo, said that the ships that dock at the international port of Vacamonte are mostly fishing vessels from Indonesia, China, Europe, and South America.

All vessels scheduled to arrive at the port of Vacamonte have been in international waters from the months of June and July of 2019, that is before the outbreak of the new coronavirus began internationally, the surveillance of Minsa remains.

Many of the ships have helipads, and change crew every so often, so it is important to keep monitoring, Gonzalez said.

https://www.newsroompanama.com/health/panama-reinforces-checks-after-brazil-coronavirus-report

In general, it seems that the symptoms for the coronavirus infection are somewhat different from the "common" flu. The common flu symptoms include fever, sinus congestion and runny nose. The coronavirus symptoms include the fever, but not the upper respiratory symptoms. It comes through with lower respiratory symptoms, such as coughing and difficulty breathing (i.e. closer to pneumonia). Nothing says you can't have both, for that matter.

Well, at least the kids are safe:

80+ years old
14.8%
70-79 years old
8.0%
60-69 years old
3.6%
50-59 years old
1.3%
40-49 years old
0.4%
30-39 years old