Moderator_02

There are several topics associated with the Covid-19 pandemic. This topic is the main or primary topic on this subject. The easiest way to find all topics related to coronavirus is to invoke a “tag display”. Simply click on the “ covid-19 ” tag (white characters on black background) that you see displayed near the top left of this topic.

What are “tags”? In information systems, a tag is a term, a keyword, or a key phrase (metadata) assigned to a piece of information. Tags are generally chosen informally and personally by the item's originator. As used by the CL administrators, a tag provides a quick snapshot of the subject matter, or in some instances the name of a person, a company, or an event. Tags are always displayed using lower case letters. A topic may have an unlimited number of tags.

The administrators endeavor to tag all relevant topics with the “covid-19” tag. If you see that we missed one, please bring it to our attention.

Significant pandemic milestones:

• February 21st: Likely transfer of coronavirus from a teacher (who had traveled to Europe)  to Panama's first coronavirus death victim (Norato González); Click Here
  • March 3rd: Resolution passed raising national alert level regarding coronavirus epidemic; Click Here
  • March 8th: First confirmed coronavirus death (Norato González) in Panama; Click Here
  • March 9th: First confirmed case of coronavirus in Panama; not the date of case arrival in Panama, but the date the coroniavirus link was confirmed; Click Here
  • March 12th: President Cortizo declares a a national state of emergency; Click Here
  • March 15th: Certain business hours regulated, elective surgeries and routine medical consults suspended; Click Here
  • March 15th: Several provinces invoke a "dry law" (banning sales of alcoholic beverages) and implementing curfews; Chiriqui Province included; Click Here
  • March 15th: Foreigners banned from entering Panama; Click Here
  • March 17th: Countrywide curfew (9:00PM to 5:00AM) mandated; Click Here
  • March 22nd: All commercial flights into and out of Panama suspended; Click Here
  • March 23rd: Countrywide curfew (5:00PM to 5:00AM) mandated; Click Here
  • March 25th: Countrywide quarantine with restricted mobility mandated; sales of alcoholic beverages banned; Click Here
  • May 11th: Effective date of lifting the ban on the sales of alcoholic beverages; Click Here
  • May 13th: The gradual reopening of certain categories of business; Click Here
  • May 18th: People are authorized to leave their homes to exercise outdoors, but on a short lease; Click Here
  • June 1st: Quarantine lifted, but a 7:00PM to 5:00AM curfew is in effect; Click Here
  • June 3rd: Hardware stores reopen with limited hours; Click Here
  • June 6th and June 8th: Curfew/mobility restrictions elevated for Panama, Panama Oeste, and Veragaus regions; Click Here and Click Here

Message added by Moderator_02

Severe punishment for those who put all at risk

saludj.jpeg

Posted 24/03/2020

All of us, Panamanians and foreigners, are the key to defeating the virus together. Solidarity and responsibility begin by avoiding contagion. Every time someone is exposed in a park, queuing to enter the lottery or looking for an excuse to leave home, it is one more door that opens to contagion.

The misbehavior of a few forces the tightening of  sanitary control measures. It seems that there are those who need more serious measures, with severe punishments, to understand that this is a serious problem.

A clumsiness, a whim or an irresponsibility can make us a burden on the health system. We should all serve as an example of what happened in Europe, where countries with a culture similar to ours have to deal with a Dantesque panorama, because their population did not cooperate as it should.

There, like here, there are people who thought that the pandemic was not with them. A gross mistake that is costing us all. Health personnel who risk their lives and those who do not deserve the danger caused by a handful of irresponsible people, who should face punishment for exposing us.- LA PRENSA, Mar.24

https://www.newsroompanama.com/opinion/severe-punishment-for-those-who-put-all-at-risk

CORONAVIRUS:  6 deaths, 345 infected including 70 medical staff

nurse.jpg

Posted 24/03/2020

Six people have died and the he number of people  infected with coronavirus climbed to 345 on Monday, March 23  of whom 289  remain in home isolation including 57 doctors and  13 nurses,  a situation described director of the CSS, Enrique Lau Cortés, “as worrying”.

Panama Metro (175 cases) and Panama Oeste (48) are the regions most affected by the virus.

According to the Minister of Health, Rosario Turner, the strategy 'Stay at home' today is more than ever a priority and failure to comply with it can bring much suffering to the country.

To date, 3,200 COVID-19 tests have been performed, of which 89% have been negative.

https://www.newsroompanama.com/health/coronavirus-6-deaths-345-infected-including-70-medical-staff

Humanitarian flights carry stranded passengers in and out of Panama

lufthansa.jpg

Posted 24/03/2020

ALTHOUGH  Tocumen International Airport closed at midnight on Sunday, it re-opened on Tuesday, March 24  for two humanitarian flights operated by Lufthansa one incoming with 31 Panamanians who had been stranded in Europe by the coronavirus pandemic and the return flight with a full complement of 371 European passengers who were stuck in Panama.

Spokespersons for the Lufthansa airline said  that it is a charter flight operated by the  company, which was coordinated by the foreign ministries of Panama and Germany to bring 31 Panamanian passengers

The Foreign Ministry of Panama said that this operation was to bring Panamanians who were stranded in Germany, Belgium, France, England, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal and Switzerland and coordinated with Germany for the trip to Frankfurt, because many borders were closed.

"31 Panamanians are being brought in, while there are 700 German tourists who will be repatriating to o Germany, some on this flight and the rest on other humanitarian flights that will take place throughout the week," said a spokesman for the Panamanian Foreign Ministry.

Logistics were prepared at Tocumen to receive the  747-400 jumbo, , in terminal 1as normally this type of aircraft does not reach Panama. On social networks, aviation buffs were ignoring stay at home pleas and are preparing to photograph tits landing and takeoff.

https://www.newsroompanama.com/business/humanitarian-flights-carry-stranded-passengers-in-and-out-of-panama

Government distributing $1,5 million food vouchers to low income families

food-vouchers.jpg

Posted 24/03/2020

The Panama Presidency through the Social Secretariat has printed  30,000 books  of  food vouchers  to be distributed to "low-income families." Each book contains 10 $5 coupons

https://www.newsroompanama.com/news/government-distributing-15-million-food-vouchers-to-low-income-families

Suspenden operaciones de vuelos domésticos por COVID-19 en Panamá

034ec28e-4692-4478-97a9-d7794a9a7fbf_16-9-aspect-ratio_default_1002883.jpg

Aeronáutica Civil ordena suspender operaciones de vuelos domésticos. AFP

Odalis Núñez

La Autoridad Aeronáutica Civil de Panamá (AAC) ordenó la suspensión de las operaciones de vuelos domésticos de la aviación general y comercial, incluidas el transporte aéreo de pasajeros en la red de aeropuertos domésticos e internacional de la República.

Esto, en medio del Estado de emergencia nacional decretado por Gobierno Nacional por coronavirus.

La AAC reiteró que están permitiendo los vuelos humanitarios y aquellos necesarios para transportar productos, equipos médicos y hospitalarios, medicamentos, vacunas y toda necesidad que aplique en calidad de emergencia.

Exhortan también al lavado frecuentes de manos con agua y jabón.

ET92dSbX0AclsR0.jpg

Moderator comment: Below is an unedited automated translation of the above news article.

Operations of domestic flights by COVID-19 in Panama are suspended

<<034ec28e-4692-4478-97a9-d7794a9a7fbf_16-9-aspect-ratio_default_1002883.jpg>>

Civil Aeronautics orders to suspend operations of domestic flights. AFP

Odalis Núñez • 25 Mar 2020 - 11:34 AM

The Civil Aviation Authority of Panama (AAC) ordered the suspension of domestic flight operations for general and commercial aviation, including passenger air transport in the Republic's domestic and international airport network.

This, in the middle of the State of national emergency decreed by the National Government for coronavirus.

The AAC reiterated that they are allowing humanitarian flights and those necessary to transport products, medical and hospital equipment, medications, vaccines and any need that applies as an emergency.

They also encourage frequent hand washing with soap and water.

<<ET92dSbX0AclsR0.jpg>>

https://www.telemetro.com/nacionales/2020/03/25/suspenden-operaciones-vuelos-domesticos-panama/2714458.html

Moderator comment: Minsa report of Covid-19 cases in Panama as of late Wednesday, March 26th, 2020: 558 confirmed cases, 2 recovered, 8 deaths.

image.png

http://minsa.gob.pa/coronavirus-covid19

And in the entire world at approximately the same information cutoff time:

image.png

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Moderator comment: This is the first report that I have seen indicating diarrhea as a possible symptom of Covid-19. I am not medically trained, but simply commenting that I am seeing a lot (many more than I desire to read) of news articles about this pandemic and this is the first I have read about diarrhea.

Reportan cuadros de diarrea en algunos pacientes

https://www.prensa.com/impresa/panorama/reportan-cuadros-de-diarrea-en-algunos-pacientes/

3 minutes ago, Moderator_02 said:

lgunos pacientes que presentan cuadros de diarrea dan positivo al Covid-19.

Some of the isolated patients are experiencing diarrhea.  COVID can transmit via stool.   Hand washing is of utmost importance.  I gave my Ngobe family we help a tablet of pool chlorine.  I told them to put that in a 5 gal bucket next to another 5 gal bucket with fresh water.  I told them to use the chlorine water to wash hands then rinse well in the fresh water.  They do not have the ability to buy toilet paper all the time nor do they have a toilet like we do.  They do not have running water.  Water is carried by bucket.  

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Brundageba said:

Some of the isolated patients are experiencing diarrhea.  COVID can transmit via stool.   Hand washing is of utmost importance.  I gave my Ngobe family we help a tablet of pool chlorine.  I told them to put that in a 5 gal bucket next to another 5 gal bucket with fresh water.  I told them to use the chlorine water to wash hands then rinse well in the fresh water.  They do not have the ability to buy toilet paper all the time nor do they have a toilet like we do.  They do not have running water.  Water is carried by bucket.  

Thanks. You are medically trained.

Still learning, even at my age....

Quarantine SHOPPING hours NOT dog walking

doggie.jpg

Posted 26/03/2020

The pandemic progresses in Panama. Major hospitals have to face the harsh reality of managing scarce resources to deal with the virus. The vast majority of Panamanians know and understand all this, so it is unjustifiable that a part of the citizenry does not fully realize that the two hours of daily departure authorized in the current quarantine is not a license for recreation.

It is not a space for socializing, visiting family members, exercising in the parks or in the social areas of the condominiums, or taking the dog for a walk. Those 120 minutes should be used exclusively to search for the necessary food and medicines.

If people have enough food, then they have no moral reason to go out and expose themselves to contagion or to infect third parties who do need to go out. How many times do you have to say it? It is truly impressive that certain streets and areas of the capital look like fairs.

Those who mock the purpose of the quarantine are forcing the government to extend it and apply more severe restrictions. The Covid-19 has as its best allies the most inconsiderate citizens LA PRENSA, Mar.26

https://www.newsroompanama.com/opinion/quarantine-shopping-hours-not-dog-walking-time

1 hour ago, Moderator_02 said:

Those who mock the purpose of the quarantine are forcing the government to extend it and apply more severe restrictions. The Covid-19 has as its best allies the most inconsiderate citizens

This is WAR...don't let the enemy (virus) win it.......

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Moderator_02 said:

Thanks. You are medically trained.

Still learning, even at my age....

God Bless you BUD AND MARCELYN .  We each have a role to play here.  You are the information gatherers .   As we all learn, we help others that have not ...yet.  Its a process.  It takes time.  Panamanians for the most part have done such a great job it astounds me..................WE ARE BLESSED.  Like it or not.  We are all in this together.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Brundageba said:

This is WAR...don't let the enemy (virus) win it.......

I gave my husband HELL for going to PriceSmart 2 weeks ago for things we didn't really need.  There is a 2 week lag in data.  What we are seeing now locally had contacts 2- 14 days ago...average 5 days.  We will see increases here .  Do NOT be frightened if you shopped in PriceSmart 2 weeks ago.  That said: 1. continue careful and cautious self protection as the govt instructs. 2. Go shopping as little as you can...stay home. 3. Consolidate trips out and organize the time you spend out...make lists.   IF you have NO MASK.  You CAN use a cowboy bandana  and use it over your face...no shame in that.  It keeps YOUR hands off your own face !!!   IF you have no more hand sanitizer or wipes:  Make a bag to hold a Clorox soaked wash cloth and wipe your hands with it after you touch things.  Spraying is being done now.  It will decrease surface and air contamination.    Be careful out there like its an Ebola infection....you'll be OK.  People constantly exposed within tight confines are the ones that get really sick.  God willing....not us !  I am washing all my money in a laundry bag in the machine. Coins in Clorox.  I try to give exact change.  If I get change, I hold out a plastic zip bag and the cashier puts it in there. You must act "as if" all surfaces are contaminate as well the air where people gather. 

Edited by Brundageba
  • Upvote 2

Modern Day Flying Dutchman Panama Bound

zaandam-file-imagebefc8e.jpg

Posted 25/03/2020

The Panama Maritime Authority (AMP)denies that the Zaandam, cruise ship will be able to disembark in Panama.

The vessel like the 17th  century legendary  Flying Dutchman has been sailing aimlessly through the Pacific and has been denied landing at ports in Chile and Peru and has even been stoned by local residents.

With 1,243 passengers including 250 Canadians, and 586 crew, many with flu-like symptoms the ship has been denied landing due to the threat of the coronavirus.

The AFP agency had said that the Zaandam, of the Holland America line, of the Carnival group, had set out for Panama.

According to AFP, after spending more than a week begging for a port to disembark its passengers, Holland America deployed its ship Rotterdam from Puerto Vallarta in Mexico, "to meet with the Zaandam and provide additional supplies, personnel, test kits for Covid-19 and other support as needed" said a company statement.

The meeting between the two ships must take place on the night of March 26, "off the coast of Panama." Rotterdam travels with 611 crew and without tourists.

The AMP warned that when this occurs, the landing of passengers and crew from Zaandam will not be allowed.

Zaandam set sail on March 7 from Buenos Aires, Argentina, and its final destination was San Antonio, Chile. Now the plan is to take it to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, but first it has to get permission to transit the canal.

https://www.newsroompanama.com/business/modern-day-flying-dutchman-panama-bound

Covid-19 cases jump 115 to 558

turner.jpg

Posted 25/03/2020

Health Minister Rosario Turner reported on Wednesday, March 25, that while the number of cases of covid-19  reached 558,  it was confirmed that the first two patients diagnosed in Panama are already recovered and that there is a case that came out of intensive care from the Social Security Fund.

Of the 559 cases, 484 cases are in home isolation. There are 66 hospitalized with  20 are in intensive care and 46 cases in wards.

The death toll remains at eight, says the Ministry’s director of Epidemiology, Lourdes Moreno.

Fines
The Ministry of Health reported that in the last 72 hours, it has applied $10,000 in fines in 35 establishments. "We are going to widen the margin of the fine from $50,000 to $100,000 said, Minister Turner.

https://www.newsroompanama.com/news/covid-19-cases-jump-115-to-558-1

Is there a published list somewhere of the number of cases of the virus in Panama.  I recently saw a list of cases in Chiriqui based on where they were, i.e. Bugaba, Boqueron, Cerro Punta, etc.  is there an updated list of incidences for the country as well as Chiriqui?

16 minutes ago, Sassy Blake said:

Is there a published list somewhere of the number of cases of the virus in Panama.  I recently saw a list of cases in Chiriqui based on where they were, i.e. Bugaba, Boqueron, Cerro Punta, etc.  is there an updated list of incidences for the country as well as Chiriqui?

Here is one of two website that we have found with near real time statistics. It is NOT what you are asking for, as this link starts worldwide. However, you can scroll down on the left column of countries to find Panama (currently about 550+ cases) as the countries are listed in descending victim count order, and get more information about Panama by clicking on Panama's entry, then go into the map/chart showing the the center dialog where you can zoom in and out and relocate the focus point, etc. It does NOT show by province or city within Panama.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

I have seen one website that is more like what you seek, but can't find the link right now. Perhaps in the near future, and if so then I will add that link here.

28 minutes ago, Sassy Blake said:

Here is the other website. Found it just up the stack here in this topic. This is a Minsa website, and you can use tools similar to what I mentioned in the prior reply to poke around within Panama.

Zoom in on the chart, and then click on one of the city "buttons" (typically red in color) for additional details. Seems to be well designed and implemented.

Not sure how frequently it is updated, but fairly frequently.

Panama in total quarantine indefinitely

cortizo-25.jpg

President Cortizo

Posted 25/03/2020

Panama is the latest country to go into total quarantine for an indefinite period to stem the advance of the coronavirus.  The announcement came from President Laurentino Cortizo in a broadcast to the nation on Tuesday evening, March 23.

Cortizo, who explained that the measure is based on evidence previously evaluated by the health team dealing with the pandemic, based, in turn, on the behavior of the virus in different regions.

The round the clock quarantine exempts  18 groups or industries, among them, the Public Force; emergency officials; personnel from the Ministry of Health, the Social Security Fund, the Fire Department, Sinaproc, Acodeco, Idaan, the Cleaning Authority, Sume-911, the ACP and the media.

The executive decree allows two hours of daily mobility of people, based on the last digit of their identity card or passport.

The mobility is restricted to purchasing food or medicine. In a medical emergency, the person can leave at any time.

Senior citzens and people with disabilities must complete their errands between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm

To guarantee public order, the security forces will deploy 18,000 agents.

SOLIDARITY PLAN
The president said  that in during the  total quarantine the government will continue to pay subsidies (in the order of $1.6 billion) and will launch the Panama Solidarity plan, which includes the distribution of vouchers, food bags, medicines and tanks of gas to at least a million people, including informal workers, lottery sellers., residents of vulnerable areas and those affected by the economic impact of the pandemic.

The amount of the electricity bill will be reduced 50% to those whose consumption does not exceed 300 kilowatts. Service will not be cut nor that of water or internet to those who cannot pay their bills in the next three months.

Banks will not execute the mortgages of those affected by the pandemic

Cortizo called for solidarity and rsaid  that in the next few days an account will be opened at the National Bank to receive donations.

https://www.newsroompanama.com/business/panama-in-total-quarantine-indefinitely

Construction Suspended in Panama

As of Wednesday, March 25 and for a period of 30 days, Panama decreed the suspension of the activities of the construction industry in the projects currently under development in the national territory.

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

According to Executive Decree 506, there are exceptions to this provision, which must be expressly provided by the health authority. See full publication in the Official Journal.

You may be interested in "Construction and Impact of the Covid19"

The article outlines that "... For the purposes of this temporary suspension, it is understood to include the manufacture, distribution and dispatch of concrete, cement and its derivatives, as well as quarries."

Article 2 states that "... The Ministry of Health is empowered to authorize, by means of a ministerial resolution, the reactivation of the operation, activity and mobilization of specific companies, which develop and provide services to any public institution, whose temporary suspension responds to executive decrees due to the State of National Emergency."

According to reports from CentralAmericaData, the impact of the covid-19 crisis on the construction sector in Central America is predicted mainly to be caused by the expected fall in the activity of prefabricated steel structures.

Covid-19: How are the outlook changing for construction companies?

We prepared for our clients the report "Information System: Covid-19 and Business Outlook" which helps companies to measure the impact that the crisis will have on their activity in the coming months.

Click here to request access to this report.

https://www.centralamericadata.com/en/article/main/Construction_Suspended_in_Panama

Nuevos detenidos serán aislados por 15 días para evitar el coronavirus en las cárceles; autoridades estudian rebajas de pena

La medida surge después de dos intentos de fuga en la cárcel La Joya.

Olmedo Rodríguez 
26 mar 2020 - 01:09 PM

https://www.prensa.com/sociedad/nuevos-detenidos-seran-aislados-por-15-dias-para-evitar-el-coronavirus-en-la-carceles-autoridades-estudian-rebajas-de-pena/

Electricity Rates Decreased in Panama

As part of the measures to mitigate the effects of the covid-19 crisis, the government decreed a 30% reduction in the tariff for customers consuming between 301 kWh and 1000 kWh.

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

The measure will grant a 50% reduction in electricity rates to customers consuming from 0 to 300 kWh, which represents about 70%, reported the National Public Services Authority (Asep).

See "Coronavirus: How Will It Affect Business?"

The Asep statement adds that "... While a 30% reduction in the rate will be granted to those who consume from 301 kWh to 1,000 kWh, a measure that will also benefit small and medium enterprises and achieve aid to about 95% of Panamanians for the period from April 1 to June 30 this year."

It was also agreed to suspend the cuts in service, in customers who report delays in their payments.

Coronavirus: How are the outlook changing for businesses in Panama?

We prepared for our clients the report "Information System: Covid-19 and Business Outlook" which helps companies to measure the impact that the crisis will have on their activity in the coming months.

Click here to request access to this report.

https://www.centralamericadata.com/en/article/main/Electricity_Rates_Decreased_in_Panama

OPINION: Treacherous lawmakers hide behind virus crisis

deputies.jpg

Posted 25/03/2020

PANAMA  Is shaken by the biggest health crisis in its history. This is a time for key decisions, responsible political management and, above all, a lot of transparency. In the midst of national concern for the Covid-19, the deputies of the majority bench have taken advantage of the situation to do acts that conflict with political decency.

In these sensitive and delicate hours, bill 239, which modifies the Judicial Career, has advanced. The Supreme Court was informed that the project was under discussion on March 17, without consulting or taking them into account.

The Judicial Branch has been clear and emphatic in the response it has given to the Legislature: what is being approved in the Assembly undoes and contradicts a long-standing effort in favor of a justice career. It is obvious that most Panamanians care more about attending to the great problems caused by the health crisis. The deputies know this and because of that disgrace that characterizes them they act treacherously. This absence of gallantry and lack of respect towards Panamanians and our weak institutions is truly unforgivable. – LA PRENSA, Mar .25

https://www.newsroompanama.com/opinion/opinion-treacherous-lawmakers-hide-behind-virus-crisis

3 hours ago, Moderator_02 said:

Here is the other website. Found it just up the stack here in this topic. This is a Minsa website, and you can use tools similar to what I mentioned in the prior reply to poke around within Panama.

Zoom in on the chart, and then click on one of the city "buttons" (typically red in color) for additional details. Seems to be well designed and implemented.

Not sure how frequently it is updated, but fairly frequently.

This is the website I monitor - it is updated continuously around the clock. Apparently put together by a teenager...

https://ncov2019.live/data

53 minutes ago, Jim Bondoux said:

This is the website I monitor - it is updated continuously around the clock. Apparently put together by a teenager...

https://ncov2019.live/data

That is impressive work, especially for being a teenager. He has a bright future. I’m now following him on Twitter.