How do I access a roster of members?

Franagain

Question

20 answers to this question

• Administrators

Regular members may only see the number of members. Only administrators and moderators have access to the membership database.

Note that regular members are able to see who is currently online. Use the "More" icon in the upper right of the window, and select the "Online Users" option in the drop down box. See the gray highlighted line in the attached image.

How to View Online Users.png

• Administrators

Oh, and by the way... if you click on the search box but leave the space empty and then select Members from the drop-down menu in front of the search box, you will get a complete list of all the members.   I hope I am not giving away any secrets Bud - just found it by playing with the search feature and thought you should know too.   I am impressed with its search capabilities.

Dear Twin Wolf,

It was a surprise to me. This seems to provide the solution to the request for the member list.

Going further, this technique is not divulging any of the protected information as mentioned in our Privacy Policy. To my way of thinking this is now a closed request.

Thanks for bringing this feature to everyone's attention, and moving on now.

Thanks, Dan. It's a little cumbersome in that it requires several steps, but it works.

Bonnie,

It is no more cumbersome than creating a function/link to provide the information. It is just not where you thought it would be.

By the way, presumably this isn't the list of members because, pursuant to the rules, that would contain the member's real name, email address, etc. But it contains enough information to find their posts, and that's what matters to me.

Bonnie, again,

Learning of this is NOT a violation of our Privacy Policy. Read above. The only information disclosed is the Display Name (already public), and the date that the person registered (already public; refer to each member profile).

Please note: email addresses are NOT disclosed by this newly discovered feature/function.

For all users of Chiriqui.Life, you should not be concerned about this feature. No information that was previously defined to be private is being disclosed. If being able to see all of the registered users in one listing (albeit many screens) bothers you, then we will respond to account closure requests, and dispose of your posted information in a manner that you choose. You still are in control.

• Administrators

Bonnie,

You are the second member to bring up this subject.

Disclosure of the complete roster of member Display Names is contrary to Chiriqui.Life policy. I do see some advantages, but feel a fiduciary responsibility to protect users' privacy trumps the advantages of disclosure. If this policy is changed, then I will post on Chiriqui.Life.

One option would be to do a poll on this website to see how members feel about this subject.

Should anyone wish to share their pro/con views, please do so.

I don't have a great desire to randomly access members' pages, but it does appear inconsistent to allow the page of those who currently posted last in a forum (and therefore have their avatar displayed) but not to be able to find posts made earlier by members. With so many different topics, it's a real hardship to have to scroll back through all of them, or all of them that just might be relevant to the post sought. My thought is that it should be relatively easy to seek out a prior post via the poster. (It's not that the profiles contain any really personal information anyway.) Just my opinion.

Edited by Bonnie
additional info

Bud probably understands what I'm saying, but I'm not sure everyone else does. So I'll offer an example. Let's say I recall a post made by Dottie that I would like to reread. I can reach her profile containing all her messages by hovering over her avatar, but her avatar appears onscreen only if she is the most recent poster in a topic. If she is not and I have no avatar to hover over, I have to scroll through numerous posts in numerous forums to locate the post I'm looking for. If Dottie's profile can be seen one way, why not another, i.e., by having direct access to her profile? I'm suggesting that we need to be able to access each others' profiles to search each others' posts. (And I would note that the only personal information contained in one's profile is very generally where he or she lives.)

Actually, you can get there another way by using the Search function at the top of the page.   Put in the member's name in the search box and you will notice that an additional drop-down menu pops up in front the the search box you are filling in - use that to select Members before you click to do the search.   Now when you search you will get the link to the members profile.   From there you can see her activity.

The search function in this software looks to be very good and with a little creative use you should be able to get exactly what you are looking for without going thru pages and pages of past posts.

Oh, and by the way... if you click on the search box but leave the space empty and then select Members from the drop-down menu in front of the search box, you will get a complete list of all the members.   I hope I am not giving away any secrets Bud - just found it by playing with the search feature and thought you should know too.   I am impressed with its search capabilities.

Edited by Twin Wolf Technology Group

Your real name is visible if a member clicks on your profile.   I believe that Bud has found the happy balance here.   Your real name is not displayed on every post but it is visible if you want to know more about a particular member.    Your email address is not visible to anyone and this is also as it should be.

Dan, the "real" names are not identified in the abbreviated profile available to other members. There are lots of aliases or online names here, and those are the same names that appear in the profile. Again, presumably the administrators are in possession of more complete profiles, i.e., information required when registering. Is that correct Bud?

But Keith's question is a good one. Registration requires the submission of real names, but how do the administrators know that the name submitted is real?

Bonnie - correct.   If you just hover over the members icon, the abbreviated profile does not show the real name.   You have to actually click on member icon or link to get the full profile that shows the real name.

As for verification of real names, I would imagine that the short delay while the administrators review the new member application help to weed out those with obviously phony real names.  A quick search online, such as Facebook, can also be used to spot illegitimate applicants.  Ultimately, it would take some sort of photo ID and multi-factor authentication to sort out a problem if more than one person claimed to have the same real name or was sufficiently disguised.

Edited by Twin Wolf Technology Group

Dan, the "real" names are not identified in the abbreviated profile available to other members. There are lots of aliases or online names here, and those are the same names that appear in the profile. Again, presumably the administrators are in possession of more complete profiles, i.e., information required when registering. Is that correct Bud?

But Keith's question is a good one. Registration requires the submission of real names, but how do the administrators know that the name submitted is real?

Bonnie,

You are correct that real names do not show in the abbreviated profiles that display when hovering over a display name. But everyone should know that real names *DO* display in the full profile, which is available to everyone. That is by design, believing that this approach will help lower the 'hostility index' seen in some other forums.

Note that real names cannot be edited by the member once the registration dialog has been executed; administrators can edit, but will do so only if deemed appropriate.

Yes, I agree that Keith has asked a good question. In the Terms & Rules for this website, one will note that management reserves the right to request documentation as to real name. That would happen when there is a challenge to a real name. For what it is worth, Chiriqui.Life has nine registrations pending because of problems with the real name.