Excluding certain content

JudyS

Question

14 answers to this question

• Administrators

There are several techniques to achieve this goal. The one published in this Q&A forum previously apparently was not to your liking. I seem to recall a personal comment (not on CL) that you made to the effect that Marcelyn's approach worked best. I do see that technique in a Q&A topic at:

Another approach is given in a different Q&A topic at:

Some people use the "ignore" capability of the software. Here is a link to that topic:

I can only presume that you somehow reset your profile or activity settings, more likely the activity settings. Since I really don't know what you are trying to achieve, I can only guess, and recommend that you try option two (the "How Do I Stop Seeing News Boquete....") as shown above.

Let me know if you need more help.

Here is what I tried and didn't try:

Marcelyn's suggestion:  I don't remember what that was.

The one you said I must not have liked:  There was one that required me to change settings every time I entered CL.  Too much trouble.

Penny's suggestion:  Go to account preferences and check to stop following News.  This worked for about a week, then NewsLady posts started appearing again in unread content.

Using "ignore".  I went to account settings and changed it to "ignore NewsLady".  This didn't work.  News posts are still showing in unread content.

I want to get rid of News because 90% of the new content posts are News, which I have already read (and mostly deleted).  It is too much clutter and makes it harder to find the new non-News CL posts.

If anybody figures out something that works, that doesn't have to be done every time I enter CL, and stays the way I set it, I would appreciate knowing that.

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Bonnie said:

No, Judy. You're not the only one.

Bud and Marcelyn, I have Newslady on my Ignored Users list, but her posts keep appearing. Is this a glitch in the system?

This is not a glitch in the system. I have been trying to dodge this reply, but no longer can. 

When this topic first came up last December, I sent in a trouble ticket to the software gurus at IPS (the software vendor). Their response was that the ignore functionality will ignore the postings (and messages if so configured) for whomever one wishes. However, the software does not exclude the ignored originator's in the activity stream. Their logic is that people looking for activity want to see all of the activity, not just some of the activity. There a few special cases, but not applicable here.

Going further, I beleive Judy when she tells me that she was able, until only recently, to do something that the software gurus says is not possible as currently programmed.

Thus my dilemma. Both assertions cannot be correct, and so I just did a dodge on this subject. Maybe I should have hit it straight on. If so, I apologize.

For Judy, if you unsubscribe from News Boquete, you still can send out messages. There is no requirement for someone to be a subscriber in order to take advantage of that news dissemination system. For the sake of completeness, a prior listserver from many years ago did require a subscription in order to use the system. But that is long ago history.

I have timed myself in clearing the NB forum here on CL each morning, and it can easily be done in less than 10 seconds, assuming reasonably responsive Internet service.

4 minutes ago, Admin_01 said:

I have timed myself in clearing the NB forum here on CL each morning, and it can easily be done in less than 10 seconds, assuming reasonably responsive Internet service.

I guess I don't know how to clear the NB forum every time.  That's probably the instruction I forgot.  Could you tell me again, please?

18 minutes ago, JudyS said:

I guess I don't know how to clear the NB forum every time.  That's probably the instruction I forgot.  Could you tell me again, please?

Never mind, I found it. 

Can't find a post that says NewsLady is distressed.  We aren't dissing her.  She told me how to get rid of it in CL.  Penny, don't take it personally.  We all like NB, just not repetitions of it.  It's a CL glitch, not anything against you or NB.

Under Browse, I open up the Forums, scroll down to the 'News Feeds/Meeting Announcements' section, click on the double "cartoon cloud" icon on the left margin, it turns gray, then I go back to the top and click 'Unread Content'.  Easy once you get into the routine.  Of course you don't see anything else posted there along with the Newslady posts, but most of those you will have already seen other places.

Sorry, Bud, I know I'm not using the "official" technical nomenclature you prefer...but my terms describing my process should do what Judy wants.

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Pederhaney said:

Under Browse, I open up the Forums, scroll down to the 'News Feeds/Meeting Announcements' section, click on the double "cartoon cloud" icon on the left margin, it turns gray, then I go back to the top and click 'Unread Content'.  Easy once you get into the routine.  Of course you don't see anything else posted there along with the Newslady posts, but most of those you will have already seen other places.

Sorry, Bud, I know I'm not using the "official" technical nomenclature you prefer...but my terms describing my process should do what Judy wants.

I have no problem with whatever terminology you wish to use, so long as we all understand the meanings.

Thanks for your post and for being an active CL member.

Using the "All Activity" button works for me.

Normally, I just blow by the Newslady posts because I've already seen them in email.

btw, I still find that the manner in which the Newslady's posts appear in the summary gives the impression that she is the individual or business promoting one thing or another.

eg:

Hello Dear Boquete Community,   Why putting self-care first makes a lot of sense especially when you feel overwhelmed   Setting time aside for self-care on a daily basis is a good habit...
Edited by Keith Woolford

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, JudyS said:

Can't find a post that says NewsLady is distressed.

See next quote, extracted from this thread:

1 hour ago, NewsLady said:

Newslady is quite distressed and hurt by this.

27 minutes ago, JudyS said:

It's a CL glitch, not anything against you or NB.

This is not a glitch in CL. It is something that operates as described, but differently to your expectations and understanding.