On 7/25/2019 at 1:26 PM, Uncle Doug said:

I'm assuming that yellow curbs mean the same thing as red curbs in the USA?

In general, yes, Panama uses the same traffic sign and lane marking color conventions as in the US. Yellow stripes between lanes means opposing traffic, whereas white dividing lines between lanes means vehicles going in the same direction. Passing allowed, when it can be done safely, if the line is broken. Solid lines are not to be crossed over.

Insofar as curb color goes:

White (or no color):
Parking allowed, unless restricted or limited by signs.
Blue:
Parking for the disabled only. Motorists must have a disabled person parking placard (typically hanging on the rear view mirror) or disabled person or disabled veteran license plate.
Green:
Parking allowed for a short time. The time is usually shown on a sign next to the green zone, or may be painted on the curb. Green curb can also be used for student loading zones, if accompanied by the appropriate signs.
Yellow:
Stop only long enough to load or unload passengers—no longer than posted. Drivers are usually required to stay with their vehicle.
Red:
No stopping, standing, or parking. A bus may stop at a red zone marked for buses. Red is also used to designate fire lanes at schools or “No Parking” areas.

Reference for the bottom quote: http://guide.saferoutesinfo.org/engineering/curb_paint_signs_and_school_pavement_legends.cfm

Hurrah hurrah hurrah!  Every time I get home I breathe a sigh of relief having "run the gauntlet" safely once again. Then I negotiate the curve at Otto's and la Posada dodging the cars pulling into and out of their "parking spots", and the cars barrelling down from Alto Lino ... in order to turn right. Then just one last hurdle as I pass the Panamonte and peer slowly and cautiously thru the Bushes to see the oncoming traffic zipping over the new bridge (and annoying the taxis that back up behind me). Whew!

Certainly keeps my mind alert and my driving skills sharp.

We love it here anyway.    Just ....Keep safe out there.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Erin Ross said:

Hurrah hurrah hurrah!  Every time I get home I breathe a sigh of relief having "run the gauntlet" safely once again. Then I negotiate the curve at Otto's and la Posada dodging the cars pulling into and out of their "parking spots", and the cars barrelling down from Alto Lino ... in order to turn right. Then just one last hurdle as I pass the Panamonte and peer slowly and cautiously thru the Bushes to see the oncoming traffic zipping over the new bridge (and annoying the taxis that back up behind me). Whew!

Certainly keeps my mind alert and my driving skills sharp.

We love it here anyway.    Just ....Keep safe out there.

Your "run the gauntlet" description is spot on!

• Moderator_02 changed the title to It's about time..... (aka Running the Gauntlet)

Be not afraid... went up the "Restaurant Row" on purpose late this afternoon ( after having avoided this stretch for many months)  and stopped and thanked  the Police sitting there in front of the Yellow Lines. They were smiling to see how Happy I was when I said that our neighborhood is safer.  Now if we could just get a European roundabout on that corner from Alto Lino/Otto's/la Posada/down to the Panamonte and the new bridge (where many tourists come to see and walk) ... that would set the town buzzing, ha.

On 7/26/2019 at 2:47 PM, Keith Woolford said:

That is correct  ..the Mayor met with the Police to express his priorities for enforcement which include illegal parking anywhere and speeding in Alto Boquete.

Don’t get up to Boquete very ofter, but I notice that the 60 km hr zone coming in has been extended.  From the number of folks passing me I don’t think many have realized....

42 minutes ago, JohnF13 said:

Don’t get up to Boquete very ofter, but I notice that the 60 km hr zone coming in has been extended.  From the number of folks passing me I don’t think many have realized....

John,

You're correct, the speed limit on via Boquete has been reduced to 60 km/hr between the KM 35 restaurant just north of the high school and just south of the Oriana neighborhood.

• Thanks 1

Saw our new Acalde today with a small entourage with video cameras and clip boards clustered at the foot of the Puente Panamonte on the Panamonte side.

Pulled over, smiled gave thumbs up and said "Muchas Gracias por tu Servicio para caminos y seguridad". My spanish may not be great but my intention was obvious... Smiles all around. Stay tuned.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update on driving up.... "the gauntlet...restaurant row"....

Tonight, for the 1st time in awhile I took a chance on driving directly up to my turn off towards the Panamonte. I wondered how the Yellow Curbs were faring in deterring people from parking... Hurrah!! There were 3 cars (spaced out ..2 in front of one bar and 1 in front of another) They ALL had Big Tickets taped to their driver's side windows!

This is just about safety, folks... so glad we can now get through with out being "doored" or hitting someone.

• Upvote 1

Saturday night after the BCP musical review program we drove the restaurant row route and noticed five vehicles parked in the yellow curb section.  Sunday mid morning there were three cars parked there. (One grey pick-up is a “regular” that we’ve seen several times). None on Saturday or Sunday had tickets.

Glad Big Tickets are appearing taped to windows because cars illegally parked here can be a scary drive home when car doors suddenly open or individuals casually step out of their vehicle without checking for on-coming traffic on crowded road.

• Upvote 1