I am responding with what I remember from my past research, the record of which is not readily at hand since I am traveling. The form is supposedly mailed out in July, with an October deadline for the return. Downloading the form and mailing it in most likely does not satisfy the requirement, which is based on the physical round trip of the form via postal service. The form cha-cha cycles every other year, depending on your social security number. Both of ours arrived in October of last year, and we promptly turned them around. Previous phone messages and emails to both the FBU and the SS headquarters yielded zero responses.

Not a heartening report or account of the Pain in Tail POL procedure. 

One might assume if you are paying taxes to the USA  and signing the form , that should be proof of life...no?  Am I missing something?

Alison

19 minutes ago, Jim Bondoux said:

I am responding with what I remember from my past research, the record of which is not readily at hand since I am traveling. The form is supposedly mailed out in July, with an October deadline for the return. Downloading the form and mailing it in most likely does not satisfy the requirement, which is based on the physical round trip of the form via postal service. The form cha-cha cycles every other year, depending on your social security number. Both of ours arrived in October of last year, and we promptly turned them around. Previous phone messages and emails to both the FBU and the SS headquarters yielded zero responses.

Just now, Pantah said:

The mailed POL forms have a unique QR code for you, so download is not possible.

I believe you can get one from US Embassy/Consul and send to them. I did this in the past, when they were here in Boquete. Now a lot of this SS stuff has been transferred to US Embassy, CR, so heads up on that.

Thanks for all your replies. I guess  will just have to check at the post office every couple of weeks.  I wonder if  the post office  could be advised to not return to sender this particular classification of US govt mail. What a misery this whole thing is!  And such a dismissive attitude for US expats by our government! Forgive the rant.😠

On 5/18/2019 at 11:01 AM, Brundageba said:

Not a heartening report or account of the Pain in Tail POL procedure. 

One might assume if you are paying taxes to the USA  and signing the form , that should be proof of life...no?  Am I missing something?

Alison

Many retirees don’t have enough income to require the filing of a tax return.