Wells Fargo and the Panama ATM system

For the last couple of days, ATM machines all over Panama have been rejecting Wells Fargos debit/ATM cards. People can still use their cards at restaurants and gas stations but not to get cash from an ATM. Since WF is the largest bank system in the U.S. I imagine this is causing quite a big of consternation among the tourists who are here and who suddenly find themselves cashless.

Wells Fargo has been experiencing repeated failures of its electronic systems, over a span of several months. Banking systems are supposed to have redundancies and backups so that service interruptions are quickly remedied. Wells Fargo has not been able to consistently and promptly overcome the failures. To my knowledge there have been no public explanations of the problem or problems from the bank, excepting the usual public relations platitudes. I am a customer of Wells Fargo, and I now plan my transactions with system unreliability in mind.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Wells-Fargo-banking-outage-stretches-into-second-13601637.php

• 4 weeks later...

The problem clearly is on their end, as evidenced posted by Mr. Bondoux demonstrates. Call their attention to that, and make them understand that ONLY Wells Fargo customers are experiencing the problem here in Panama. Then, the next time you're in the U.S., change banks.

Five calls to Wells Fargo and nothing but platitudes, as someone previously said.  I've learned that Wells Fargo actually has a website called "downdetector" to advise customers of outages 😱 and there was a large one on 5/22/19.  Site claims the 5/22/19 matter was resolved.  WF call center reps are clueless, about even the ones in the USA.   I've submitted 4 reports through the call center.  Agree that it's time to change banks.

On 4/25/2019 at 9:01 PM, Jim Bondoux said:

Wells Fargo has been experiencing repeated failures of its electronic systems, over a span of several months. Banking systems are supposed to have redundancies and backups so that service interruptions are quickly remedied. Wells Fargo has not been able to consistently and promptly overcome the failures. To my knowledge there have been no public explanations of the problem or problems from the bank, excepting the usual public relations platitudes. I am a customer of Wells Fargo, and I now plan my transactions with system unreliability in mind.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Wells-Fargo-banking-outage-stretches-into-second-13601637.php

Interesting. I worked in electronic banking for a REALLY big bank. We had redundant data centers mirroring each other in realtime to avoid any possible disasters/glitches. So in addition to being a criminal enterprise, they appear to be incompetent too.

On 7/27/2018 at 6:42 PM, Bonnie said:

It happened shortly before noon.

Wells Fargo & Co. on Wednesday detailed steps it has taken to address problems following a series of scandals that have resulted in more than $4 billion in fines and settlements since 2016 and tougher scrutiny from regulators. also: https://nypost.com/2016/10/19/wells-fargo-under-criminal-investigation-over-fake-accounts/

Keith, this took me less than a minute. You could have done this yourself.