Top Notch Computer Software Guru - The Guy to Go To When Things Look Hopeless - A Real Pro

As someone who is totally dependent on reliable computer resources, I have several machines (both Windows and Macs). The workhorses are the Windows machines. My newest machine, roughly one month old now, never really functioned properly for some of the basic applications that I need. I knew it would be beyond the scope of the resources at the store in David where the computer was purchased. And so I contacted the software vendor of one of the more important applications, but they wanted many hundreds of dollars, and were not willing to guarantee that they would fix the problem. They claimed it was not their software but rather a corrupted .NET and operating system matter (which sounded really serious to me). And then I remembered Dottie Atwater's posting about Twin Wolf (aka Dan Porter) who, like Dottie, is one of the members here on CL.

Cutting to the bottom line: impressive is a gross understatement. Everything he did (remotely, of course, which was advantageous to both of us) was way beyond my knowledge. He clearly knows his stuff, and is very easy to work with. The problem was corrected. It turned out not to be a .NET problem as the vendor was claiming, but rather a security conflict/configuration thing between applications and the operating system.

If you have computer problems, especially Windows applications or operating system related, then Dan is the guy to go to. You can contact him via a private message on this website, using the display name "Twin Wolf Technology Group".

I give a strong recommendation to contact Twin Wolf when you have computer problems, without reservation.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another accolade for Dan (Twin Wolf). I love that man! I'll mention also that he installs (remotely) an excellent anti-virus program free of charge to his clients. (Bye, bye Avast!)

Re anti-virus programs, I've had problems with most of them, including expensive ones. Way back, Symantec caused major computer problems. The one Twin Wolf installs is wonderful.

When I have another computer built, I will ask Dan do do it. (Provided you're in Chiriqui, Dan?)

Thank you Dottie.   For others who are wondering, I recommend Eset NOD32 Antivirus - just their Antivirus program not their Security Suite.    Eset is not a free program but it is also not bloated with all sorts of bells and whistles like the larger paid antivirus programs.  This means it does not slow your computer down like the large paid programs. Currently Eset NOD32 is being sold online for $25-$30/year.  When I am hired to remove virus or malware, I offer this antivirus free to the client.   It helps me maintain the client's computer and insures the infections do not reoccur.

Again, thank you Dottie.   I have no plans to leave Chiriqui.   After 7 years it has become home.

I love Eset NOD32 Antivirus. I'd gladly pay $25-$30 a year for it--but free for Dan's clients? Even better! And as it is, I'm money ahead. The little that Dan charged me more than paid for the anti-virus program.

Avast (free) is always trying to get people to buy extras. About a year ago, they offered a "special" which supposedly included a lot more "protection." I think the price at the time was $49. I thought, what the heck.  Well, the upgrade immediately caused so many problems that I cancelled right away, uninstalled it, and went back to the free version.

Do yourself a favor and get EsetNOD32. As they say, there's no free lunch  (such as in Avast). Until now, though, I didn't know about a reasonably priced excellent anti-virus program. In the past I paid for anti-virus programs (Symantec, etc.) and they all caused problems. So until Dan installed Eset NOD32 for me, I'd just opted for the "free" versions.