I need help from those of you more well-versed in technology than I. I haven't had a laptop in a long time, but I need to get one. I'm not looking for anything fancy, but I do want a reliable machine that will handle most things. Also, I need help with availability. I would appreciate any advice any of you can give. I currently have a Windows desktop, an iPhone, and an iPad.

11 hours ago, Bonnie said:

I need help from those of you more well-versed in technology than I. I haven't had a laptop in a long time, but I need to get one. I'm not looking for anything fancy, but I do want a reliable machine that will handle most things. Also, I need help with availability. I would appreciate any advice any of you can give. I currently have a Windows desktop, an iPhone, and an iPad.

Do yourself a favor and purchase an Apple and pay one of the local techies for an overview since it is a bit different than a Windows computer.

Do yourself a favor and get  a PC (non-Apple). You pay twice as much to purchase the Apple initially and twice as much to fix it when it's broken.

I've sold more than 100 computers for the Handicap Foundation. These computers were donated in all states of disrepair and almost all of them were resurrected by purchasing parts on Ebay. We've never been able to resurrect an Apple donation. To purchase the parts is almost always more costly than the computer is worth.

The ones we've found most easy to repair are Dells. Many of the parts are interchangeable and readily available at reasonable prices. I just sold an almost new Dell computer for $340 which would have cost about $1200 new.

19 minutes ago, Penny said:

Do yourself a favor and get  a PC (non-Apple). You pay twice as much to purchase the Apple initially and twice as much to fix it when it's broken.

I've sold more than 100 computers for the Handicap Foundation. These computers were donated in all states of disrepair and almost all of them were resurrected by purchasing parts on Ebay. We've never been able to resurrect an Apple donation. To purchase the parts is almost always more costly than the computer is worth.

The ones we've found most easy to repair are Dells. Many of the parts are interchangeable and readily available at reasonable prices. I just sold an almost new Dell computer for $340 which would have cost about $1200 new.

Penny,

How long do Windows PCs last?  I just retired my Apple iMac, it worked flawlessly for 9 years, 9 months, and 3 weeks and still to this day.  It never needed any repair or maintenance whatsoever.  I would still be using it today however my model was limited to 8 GB of memory and I needed more for a new application.  I guess I shouldn't bother donating to the Handicap Foundation.

And for the record, 10 years ago it cost $1,499 and today they sell used on Ebay for $250 to $450.  How much is a 10 year old Windows PC worth?

It's very easy on a PC with either Windows 10 or Windows 7 to change it back and forth between English and Spanish.  However, it you buy a new PC or Mac in Panama, the keyboard will most likely be a Spanish version and that is more difficult and expensive to change.

5 minutes ago, Penny said:

It's very easy on a PC with either Windows 10 or Windows 7 to change it back and forth between English and Spanish.  However, it you buy a new PC or Mac in Panama, the keyboard will most likely be a Spanish version and that is more difficult and expensive to change.

It's easy on an Apple too:

Change System Language:

Click on the Apple Menu on the top left of the screen. ...
    Once in System Preferences, click on Language and Region. ...
    Once in Language and Region, add a new language by clicking on the + icon.
    Pick the desired language from the populated list and click Add.

The Apple store in Terronal Plaza will swap out a Spanish keyboard for an English keyboard at no charge at purchase time for a desktop.  For a laptop, they'll order an English version from Panama City.

apple mac language region.png