Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Keith Woolford

Migration Situation at the Panama-Colombia Border, February 2019

Moderator_02

This topic is closely related to another topic here on CL, but we are opting to keep them separate. Please refer to http://www.chiriqui.life/topic/11782-the-presidents-of-panama-and-costa-rica-have-a-pow-wow-at-the-panamonte for related information.

Message added by Moderator_02

Recommended Posts

There have been reports over the last few days that a number of migrants who want to pass through Panama are being held for medical inspection at Puerto Obaldia on the frontera with Colombia.

The border has been closed. In an interview this morning on Telemetro, Javier Carillo , the Director of Immigration, claims the situation is being handled professionally and in cooperation with Colombia.

There are 674 people,  554 Cubans, and 120 Haitians or Africans, among them pregnant women and children.

Jose Donderis , director of Sinaproc, said the migrants only arrived at Panama because of rough seas.

 

 

Edited by Keith Woolford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No protests by Panamanians about how this is being handled? Why not open borders and let everyone in, including drug lords, human traffickers, sick and pregnant people, criminals and so forth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BD said:

No protests by Panamanians about how this is being handled?

"The arrival of migrants to Puerto Obaldia will be managed in a professional manner, the health and humanitarian issue will be seen. The sovereignty of our country will be respected."

That's a quote from the Director of Immigration. He's a Panamanian. Seems like they're on top of this.

Edited by Keith Woolford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Hundreds of Cuban migrants are stranded in the border area of Panama

Wed, 02/13/2019 - 09:27

cuba.jpg

Hundreds of Cuban migrants seeking to reach the north of the Americas are stranded in the border area of Panama, whose security authorities are meeting to discuss the matter, said to Acan-Efe on Tuesday official sources.

Local television Telemetro showed on Tuesday images of migrants who are in the border area with Colombia and demand Panamanian authorities to let them pass to continue their journey to the north of the continent.

The Cubans, who could surpass the thousand according to the journalists sources, are in the localities of Puerto Obaldía, La Miel and Armigas, in the region Guna Yala, border with Colombia.

Official sources consulted by Acan-Efe assured that the security organizations were meeting on Tuesday to analyze the situation, and that they are expected to issue a statement.

They added that personnel from the Ministry of Health and the National Immigration Service are also involved in measures to address the situation on the border.

The Health Minister, Miguel Mayo, told local media on Tuesday that his office has doubled the human resources in Puerto Obaldía to provide medical care to 600 migrants who are there.

"People have to understand that we have to take care of them because they are human beings and by attending and vaccinating them we also protect our population", said the minister, and confirmed that so far two cases of malaria have been detected among migrants.

Thousands of Cubans in transit to the United States were stranded between the end of 2015 and the first quarter of 2016 in Panama and Costa Rica, which managed to evacuate them through a special operation that had the support of Mexico.

The bottleneck in the countries of entry to Central America from the south of the continent occurred as a result of the decision of Nicaragua, in November 2015, to close its border.

However, thousands of illegal Caribbean and extracontinental migrants, from African and Asian countries, on their way to the United States, continue to arrive in Central America with the help of nets of human traffickers.

 

https://www.panamatoday.com/panama/hundreds-cuban-migrants-are-stranded-border-area-panama-9233

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Facebook (and also distributed via Twitter, but with a political spin added), dated February 12, 2019.

Automated translation of the text:

Quote

30 thousand immigrants are entering panama right now. At this point they have reached the border between Panama and Colombia. They went through the jungle. It is a migrant caravan composed of Haitians, Venezuelans, Africans and Cubans. They wish to arrive usa through central America and Mexico.

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to imagine 30,000 people there in the jungle marching into Panama.   How are they eating, sleeping and taking care of basic needs?  That's an entire city of people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Brundageba said:

It's hard to imagine 30,000 people there in the jungle marching into Panama.   How are they eating, sleeping and taking care of basic needs?  That's an entire city of people.

It’s hard to imagine because the referenced posts are B.S.  Check the source.

Sounds like the same type of alarmist propaganda reporting in the U.S. that has massive, imaginary, migrant caravans passing through Central America and Mexico.

Edited by Keith Woolford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so it looks like a Facebooker took a real news report from Telemetro of over 700 Cubans  and Haitians at the Panama border with Colombia  en-route to ( apparently) the USA and exaggerated the number to 30,000 people in this migration.  Panama definitely does not want to be stuck with them so the talks with Colombia and Costa Rica are now occurring so as to try to figure out what to do with these people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 8:42 AM, Moderator_02 said:

From Facebook (and also distributed via Twitter, but with a political spin added), dated February 12, 2019.

CL administrators have a policy of not posting content for others. We have had some exceptions. This posting was against our better judgement but we got talked into doing it. Now regret it, but will leave it posted.

It seems there may have been an agenda going on in the background.

Live and learn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 9:13 AM, Keith Woolford said:

 

It’s hard to imagine because the referenced posts are B.S.  Check the source.

Sounds like the same type of alarmist propaganda reporting in the U.S. that has massive, imaginary, migrant caravans passing through Central America and Mexico.

 

I have friend who was born and raised in McAllen, Texas, a US/Mexican border town, that for the safety of his family relocated to another state within the US due to the horrendous amount of crime committed by illegals.

 

And for the record, he's of Mexican decent, bilingual, and a retired US Army Ranger.  In addition, I asked him to assist me with my move to Panama by driving with me in my SUV.  He stated that due to the crime rate in Mexico and the fact that if something happened you'd receive zero assistance from the police, not a chance.

 

Keep in mind the population of the US is 2.5 times that of Mexico yet Mexico has twice the number of murders annually.  Let that sink in.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Siempre Soluciones said:

 

I have friend who was born and raised in McAllen, Texas, a US/Mexican border town, that for the safety of his family relocated to another state within the US due to the horrendous amount of crime committed by illegals.

 

And for the record, he's of Mexican decent, bilingual, and a retired US Army Ranger.  In addition, I asked him to assist me with my move to Panama by driving with me in my SUV.  He stated that due to the crime rate in Mexico and the fact that if something happened you'd receive zero assistance from the police, not a chance.

 

Keep in mind the population of the US is 2.5 times that of Mexico yet Mexico has twice the number of murders annually.  Let that sink in.

 

I fail to see the connection here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Keith Woolford said:

I fail to see the connection here.

 

Regarding "open borders" people routinely refer to the open border of The Netherlands and Belgium which are two first world nonviolent countries as depicted in the attached photo.  An open border between a violent and nonviolent country is a recipe for disaster.

 

I believe we can agree that Panama is a nonviolent country when compared to Colombia as is the United States when compared to Mexico.

 

A friend of mine who has lived on and off in Mexico informed me that it's routine to see dead people hanging from nooses on highway overpasses in Mexico.

 

 

nl belgium border .jpg

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Panama does not have an open border with Colombia. It has the nearly impenetrable Darien Jungle to serve as a barrier.

The referenced travelers were handled by Panamanian Migration, MINSA, and SINAPROC.  None of them are citizens of 'violent' Colombia.

"The arrival of migrants to Puerto Obaldia will be managed in a professional manner, the health and humanitarian issue will be seen. The sovereignty of our country will be respected."

That's a quote from the Director of Immigration. He's a Panamanian. Seems like they're on top of this.

Judging by the lack of local press coverage since, the situation doesn't seem to be an issue with Panamanians. 

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keith Woolford said:

Panama does not have an open border with Colombia. It has the nearly impenetrable Darien Jungle to serve as a barrier.

The referenced travelers were handled by Panamanian Migration, MINSA, and SINAPROC.  None of them are citizens of 'violent' Colombia.

"The arrival of migrants to Puerto Obaldia will be managed in a professional manner, the health and humanitarian issue will be seen. The sovereignty of our country will be respected."

That's a quote from the Director of Immigration. He's a Panamanian. Seems like they're on top of this.

Judging by the lack of local press coverage since, the situation doesn't seem to be an issue with Panamanians. 

 

Keith,

 

You're 100% correct, Panama doesn't have an open border with Colombia.  However, the precedent has been set in the US that could possibly become pragmatic here in Panama.  Honduran nationals are being granted asylum in the US based on the fact that life is better in the US.  There are some people stating that the situation in Honduras is on the scale of what happened during the Nazi era in Germany.  From what I've read I would opine that that is simply not the case.

 

Here's where the problem lies for us here in Panama.  Honduran's seek asylum to the US since life, the standard of living, is better than in Honduras.  What's next?  Hondurans then determine that the standard of living is better in Switzerland so for humanitarians sake Switzerland should allow them to seek asylum?

 

Where does it end?

 

Life is great here in Panama, I think everyone here would agree.  Could Panama absorb limitless "refugees" from both Central and South America?

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

You're 100% correct, Panama doesn't have an open border with Colombia.  However, the precedent has been set in the US that could possibly become pragmatic here in Panama.  Honduran nationals are being granted asylum in the US based on the fact that life is better in the US.  There are some people stating that the situation in Honduras is on the scale of what happened during the Nazi era in Germany.  From what I've read I would opine that that is simply not the case.

Here's where the problem lies for us here in Panama.  Honduran's seek asylum to the US since life, the standard of living, is better than in Honduras.  What's next?  Hondurans then determine that the standard of living is better in Switzerland so for humanitarians sake Switzerland should allow them to seek asylum?

Where does it end?

Life is great here in Panama, I think everyone here would agree.  Could Panama absorb limitless "refugees" from both Central and South America?

Well, these 'travelers' have no desire to declare themselves refugees in Panama so your point is invalid, apart from demonstrating that you're personally biased against migration ..excepting your own, of course.

Myself, I''m just passing on pertinent information.

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

United Nations recognizes Panama's effort to serve migrants

  • Sat, 02/16/2019 - 22:59

The United Nations System in Panama recognized this Saturday the effort of the national government to meet the humanitarian needs of migrants arriving from Colombia and invited the authorities to "maintain these actions that they extol the country's commitment to human rights and international law".

This recognition to Panama arises from the latest reports on the increase of mixed flows and movements of people of different nationalities to Puerto Obaldía and nearby communities in the province of Darién, bordering Colombia.

"The respect and protection of the rights of migrants is paramount, and applies to those who are within the national territory, whatever their nationality or immigration status, without any discrimination, in order to preserve their safety, physical integrity, well-being and dignity", the UN system in Panama said in a statement.

The delegations of the UN in Panama assure that this is a basic principle to achieve that, with the adoption of complementary actions, the migration is of benefit for all.

In the same way, it is recalled that if there are people with international protection needs, they have the right to access the asylum system to determine their refugee status and access the corresponding rights.

"From the United Nations System in Panama, we applaud the decision of the Panamanian government to work jointly with the Colombian authorities to ensure that these mixed movements of people occur in a safe, orderly and regular manner, and in compliance with international law", says the statement.

The UN system emphasizes that it is attentive to support the government of Panama in the proper management of the challenges arising from these movements of people through its specialized agencies such as the International Organization for Migration (IOM), the Office of the High Commissioner of the United Nations for Refugees (UNHCR), the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) and the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), among others.

Last weekend some 720 migrants seeking to reach the United States were intercepted by the Panamanian authorities in the Darién jungle and taken to a small shelter in the coastal town of Puerto Obaldía.

According to the Panamanian authorities, 57% of these stranded migrants are of Cuban nationality, while the rest come from countries such as Haiti, Cameroon, Ghana, Eritrea and Ethiopia.

The massive arrival of Cubans in 2015 and the closure of borders that Nicaragua ordered led to an unprecedented humanitarian crisis in both Panama and Costa Rica.

The migratory wave was considered as a consequence of the melting of relations between Cuba and the United States and the end of the migratory benefits for the islanders in the North American country.

Source-EFE

https://www.panamatoday.com/panama/united-nations-recognizes-panamas-effort-serve-migrants-9272

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Moderator_02 said:

CL administrators have a policy of not posting content for others. We have had some exceptions. This posting was against our better judgement but we got talked into doing it. Now regret it, but will leave it posted.

It seems there may have been an agenda going on in the background.

Live and learn.

I don't know what you mean by posting content "for" others. How is this different from posting stories from Newsroom Panama, La Prensa, etc.? But, in any event, the topic certainly is Panama related, and it served the important function of debunking false information. I'm of the view that it also generated some genuinely interesting and informative discussion, which is often the case when there is disagreement. Controversy and disagreement is not necessarily bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

United Nations recognizes Panama's effort to serve migrants

Sat, 02/16/2019 - 22:59

Caravana-Migrantes_13471464_0.jpg

The United Nations System in Panama recognized this Saturday the effort of the national government to meet the humanitarian needs of migrants arriving from Colombia and invited the authorities to "maintain these actions that they extol the country's commitment to human rights and international law".

This recognition to Panama arises from the latest reports on the increase of mixed flows and movements of people of different nationalities to Puerto Obaldía and nearby communities in the province of Darién, bordering Colombia.

"The respect and protection of the rights of migrants is paramount, and applies to those who are within the national territory, whatever their nationality or immigration status, without any discrimination, in order to preserve their safety, physical integrity, well-being and dignity", the UN system in Panama said in a statement.

The delegations of the UN in Panama assure that this is a basic principle to achieve that, with the adoption of complementary actions, the migration is of benefit for all.

In the same way, it is recalled that if there are people with international protection needs, they have the right to access the asylum system to determine their refugee status and access the corresponding rights.

"From the United Nations System in Panama, we applaud the decision of the Panamanian government to work jointly with the Colombian authorities to ensure that these mixed movements of people occur in a safe, orderly and regular manner, and in compliance with international law", says the statement.

The UN system emphasizes that it is attentive to support the government of Panama in the proper management of the challenges arising from these movements of people through its specialized agencies such as the International Organization for Migration (IOM), the Office of the High Commissioner of the United Nations for Refugees (UNHCR), the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) and the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), among others.

Last weekend some 720 migrants seeking to reach the United States were intercepted by the Panamanian authorities in the Darién jungle and taken to a small shelter in the coastal town of Puerto Obaldía.

According to the Panamanian authorities, 57% of these stranded migrants are of Cuban nationality, while the rest come from countries such as Haiti, Cameroon, Ghana, Eritrea and Ethiopia.

The massive arrival of Cubans in 2015 and the closure of borders that Nicaragua ordered led to an unprecedented humanitarian crisis in both Panama and Costa Rica.

The migratory wave was considered as a consequence of the melting of relations between Cuba and the United States and the end of the migratory benefits for the islanders in the North American country.

 

https://www.panamatoday.com/panama/united-nations-recognizes-panamas-effort-serve-migrants-9272

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Bonnie said:

I don't know what you mean by posting content "for" others. How is this different from posting stories from Newsroom Panama, La Prensa, etc.? But, in any event, the topic certainly is Panama related, and it served the important function of debunking false information. I'm of the view that it also generated some genuinely interesting and informative discussion, which is often the case when there is disagreement. Controversy and disagreement is not necessarily bad.

The words we posted in your referenced reply mean exactly what they say.

It is CL policy for community members wanting to post content to post their own information. That follows from the stated responsibility* of CL users: "The management team normally doesn’t post content for others (either members or guests); if you have something to post, then do so, and without cost, and if you need help, just ask."

The fact that CL staff posts news articles from selected media websites is content that CL staff itself wants to post on CL. Those postings follow from the stated purpose* for CL: " Think of CL as your [digital] homegrown, daily, self-published, neighborhood newspaper and community discussion forum targeting Chiriquí and its highlands region, principally Boquete." We intended from the very beginning of CL years ago to post news articles that we think are of interest to CL users, and so that is content that CL adds.

With one exception, CL staff does not use social media such as Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, LinkedIn, etc., and so content from those social media would, by policy, be posted by a CL member who wants to share content from other media. The one exception is that CL staff does use Twitter, but normally not to find content to post on CL rather for personal reasons unrelated to life in Boquete.

The sequence of events in CL staff having posted content in this thread from Facebook was that we were approached by a CL member who is well known in our community with a request to post the content. We declined. That member then countered with some "reasons" why she couldn't post right then and that it was critical information related to other content on CL. We relented. We ended up regretting our exception. QED.

We hope our CL users understand our normal operating procedure.

 

*For those wishing to read our published website overview and guidance, Click Here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Nearly $9 million approved for migrant shelter

migrants.jpg
 
Posted 17/02/2019
 
Shortly after being praised by UN officials for its approach to migrants stranded in Darién. Panama’s government  through a Cabinet Council "exceptional procedure", has approved  the construction of a migration shelter in the Metetí, district of the province

The Official Gazette, published, the direct contractual agreement between the Ministry of Public Security and the Constructora Urbana, SA (CUSA), for the design, and construction of the shelter, is for an amount of $8 954.830.

The shelter will have administrative offices for 50 officials with dormitory spaces to house 400 migrants, control booth, clinic, perimeter fence, bathrooms, kitchen, laundry, and recreational area.

It will also have monitoring towers, an electric generator, a drinking water treatment plant, and a wastewater treatment plant.

Recently, about 716 irregular migrants entered Panama to the communities of Puerto Obaldía and La Miel, in the Guna Yala region reports TVN Noticias

 

https://www.newsroompanama.com/news/nearly-9-million-approved-for-migrant-shelter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Moderator_02 said:

The words we posted in your referenced reply mean exactly what they say.

It is CL policy for community members wanting to post content to post their own information. That follows from the stated responsibility* of CL users: "The management team normally doesn’t post content for others (either members or guests); if you have something to post, then do so, and without cost, and if you need help, just ask."

The fact that CL staff posts news articles from selected media websites is content that CL staff itself wants to post on CL. Those postings follow from the stated purpose* for CL: " Think of CL as your [digital] homegrown, daily, self-published, neighborhood newspaper and community discussion forum targeting Chiriquí and its highlands region, principally Boquete." We intended from the very beginning of CL years ago to post news articles that we think are of interest to CL users, and so that is content that CL adds.

With one exception, CL staff does not use social media such as Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, LinkedIn, etc., and so content from those social media would, by policy, be posted by a CL member who wants to share content from other media. The one exception is that CL staff does use Twitter, but normally not to find content to post on CL rather for personal reasons unrelated to life in Boquete.

The sequence of events in CL staff having posted content in this thread from Facebook was that we were approached by a CL member who is well known in our community with a request to post the content. We declined. That member then countered with some "reasons" why she couldn't post right then and that it was critical information related to other content on CL. We relented. We ended up regretting our exception. QED.

We hope our CL users understand our normal operating procedure.

 

*For those wishing to read our published website overview and guidance, Click Here.

Thank you for the explanation, Bud. The origin of the post is now clear.

Can you explain why you ended up regretting having made an exception in this case?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bonnie,

It was an issue of "fake news" (as pointed out by Keith), with what we now perceive as a hidden political agenda by the requester.

BTW, we agree with your comment that the posting did result in a good interchange, probably because of differing opinions. Experience tells us it is okay (healthy!) to disagree as long as personal attacks don't become part of the dialogue.

Thanks to all. Have a great day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Migrants being Relocated

image.png.36a8a699916e15912dd0856f1a663a4f.png

In the next few hours, the health authorities will move to the area to verify their condition and if they are vaccinated. PHOTO / JOSÉ VÁSQUEZ

By: Jose Vásquez Chiriquí - Sunday February 17, 2019 12:00 AM

A group of Cubans and Africans who entered Panamanian territory by crossing the border with Darien were transported Saturday to the province of Chiriqui, confirmed a source from the Joint Task Force.

The Cuban migrants were transferred to the shelter located in the community of Los Planes in the district of Gualaca, province of Chiriqui. While the Africans were moved to the border area of Paso Canoas to continue their journey to the United States.

The source points out that there are not a number of Cubans transferred to the shelter, since this data is handled by the National Immigration Service, which must define the status of the illegals who entered through Colombia.

It is expected that in the next few hours the Ministry of Health (MINSA) will send personnel for the medical evaluations of each immigrant and confirm that everyone has the vaccines that are mandatory to have at the moment of entering Panama.

This is the third occasion that Gualaca facilities use to house Cuban migrants in Chiriqui. Last week, a significant number of Cuban and African migrants entered Panama, who asked to travel through Panama to reach Costa Rica and according to their passage to the United States.

https://www.critica.com.pa/provincias/trasladan-inmigrantes-541342

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Moderator_02 said:

The words we posted in your referenced reply mean exactly what they say.

It is CL policy for community members wanting to post content to post their own information. That follows from the stated responsibility* of CL users: "The management team normally doesn’t post content for others (either members or guests); if you have something to post, then do so, and without cost, and if you need help, just ask."

The fact that CL staff posts news articles from selected media websites is content that CL staff itself wants to post on CL. Those postings follow from the stated purpose* for CL: " Think of CL as your [digital] homegrown, daily, self-published, neighborhood newspaper and community discussion forum targeting Chiriquí and its highlands region, principally Boquete." We intended from the very beginning of CL years ago to post news articles that we think are of interest to CL users, and so that is content that CL adds.

With one exception, CL staff does not use social media such as Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, LinkedIn, etc., and so content from those social media would, by policy, be posted by a CL member who wants to share content from other media. The one exception is that CL staff does use Twitter, but normally not to find content to post on CL rather for personal reasons unrelated to life in Boquete.

The sequence of events in CL staff having posted content in this thread from Facebook was that we were approached by a CL member who is well known in our community with a request to post the content. We declined. That member then countered with some "reasons" why she couldn't post right then and that it was critical information related to other content on CL. We relented. We ended up regretting our exception. QED.

We hope our CL users understand our normal operating procedure.

 

*For those wishing to read our published website overview and guidance, Click Here.

Thanks, Bud. I was hoping that was what you meant. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...