African Bees and Lethal Killer Bees

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

One dead 7 injured in killer bee attack

killer-bees.jpg

Posted 04/03/2019

A swarm of African killer bees left one person dead and seven injured, in the Las Balsas, district of Río de Jesús, in Veraguas on Sunday. March 3.

Firefighters arrived took moved a minor, who was among those affected, to a nearby medical center; while the rest of the injured were taken in private vehicles.

This was the second victim in Panama for the attack of this type of bee in Panama. The was first in Chiriqui. Attacks by the bees are one of the most frequent emergencies attended by personnel of the Panama Fire Department, reports TVN.

https://www.newsroompanama.com/news/one-dead-7-injured-in-killer-bee-attack

• Moderator_02 changed the title to Leathal Killer Bees
  • Moderators

Retiree hospitalized after killer bee attack

bees.png

Posted 05/03/2019

Two days after the death of a man attacked by African killer bees in Herrera, a 75-year-old is under observation in the emergency room of a hospital in Chiriqui after he and neighbors were attacked by a swarm in Boquete.

The incident started while he tried to cut a plant while cleaning the patio of his home and disturbed the bees.  Two neighbors and relatives were also attacked. They were all transferred to medical centers by the Boquete Fire Department.

Chiriqui firefighters were called to 460 killer bee attacks in the first two months of the year.

https://www.newsroompanama.com/news/retiree-hospitalized-after-killer-bee-attack

Serious!   Heads up in Boquete.  Bite? Run to enclosure if you see others swarming...like inside your car.  Shut the doors.  Assess the situation and honk for help if you think you need it.  Once one is swatted and killed the others swarm and after that it's bad !

Edited by Brundageba

There is a species of bee here with no stinger. They are a bit of a nuisance around hummingbird feeders,  but otherwise not really a problem. They are only about 50% of the size of the bees we need to wary of.

I think it's probably wise to assume that any gathering of honeybees is potentially killer bees. I'm one of those guys who has built up increased sensitivity to stings over the years, and I have no doubt that it would take less than a couple hundred stings to outright kill me.

I am far more worried about bee stings than snakebites living here in Boquete.

2 hours ago, Uncle Doug said:

There is a species of bee here with no stinger. They are a bit of a nuisance around hummingbird feeders,  but otherwise not really a problem. They are only about 50% of the size of the bees we need to wary of.

I think it's probably wise to assume that any gathering of honeybees is potentially killer bees. I'm one of those guys who has built up increased sensitivity to stings over the years, and I have no doubt that it would take less than a couple hundred stings to outright kill me.

I am far more worried about bee stings than snakebites living here in Boquete.

My husband stepped on a bee once and his entire face got so swollen he would not be recognized...tongue as well .  I had benadyl in the house and as a nurse knew that you can take enormous doses of it without harm and so gave him 100 mg then 50 mg orally every few minutes until I could see it was  not progressing.     Max dose is 300 mg a day but I have assisted doctors in the ER administering as much as 500 mg .  I would not recommend it...but when it comes to maintaining an airway in serious anaphylactic  shock a large dose of benadryl is the least of your problems.  Once a patient loses consciousness you have lost the oral route of medication administration and may shortly lose his airway. Ambulance EMT support here is not what it is in the US or Canada. 

https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.FBldui42QDE3yXDL-EynDQHaFY&pid=15.1&P=0&w=235&h=172   This is an on-line picture but pretty much this is what my husband looked like.  As I remember the whole thing took about 30 minutes to peak.  He immediately made an appointment for an allergist and started de-sensitization treatment.  We do have an epi-pen in the house now.   Fast response is key to survival.   Benadryl can be obtained in the pharmacy and as well though Amazon

• 1 month later...

I've got both liquid and tablet Benadryl at home just for wasp and bee stings. I suspect a scorpion sting would be as dangerous,  but I've never been hit by one. That's great as long as the stings occur near home and can get to the Benadryl within 10 minutes or so. Otherwise I might be out of luck.

These fatal insect attacks are far less common than fatal vehicle accidents around here, but the threat is not imaginary.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

African bees attack farm workers

bees.jpg

Posted 15/07/2019

THREE   men working on a farm in an area difficult to access in Ranchería, Cocle, were  attacked by a swarm of African bees on Monday, July 15.  Neighbors and the La Pintada Fire Department came to their aid and they were taken to a health center for treatment.

https://www.newsroompanama.com/news/african-bees-attack-farm-workers

• Moderator_02 changed the title to African Bees and Lethal Killer Bees