For the last three years I've been living in a Panamanian neighborhood in which one home is occupied by an elderly woman with an unfortunate dog chained to her porch.  For the last few months she's let the dog run loose through the neighborhood at sporadic times.  

Being an animal lover and an amateur chef my home has become a gathering spot for the neighborhood pets, dogs and cat alike.  Especially on the days when Miguel the fish guy visits and I'm cooking a batch of fish head soup.  Both the dogs and cats gather in total solidarity.  My neighbors say we have the best fed pets in Boquete and that they eat better than some Panamanians!

I've always wanted to feed this poor woman's dog but the rule here in Panama is that it's taboo to feed some one's pet..... unless of course they visit your property.  Well this morning the opportunity came.  Her dog was pacing out in front of my home along side of two of the morning feline regulars.  The scheduled breakfast this morning was to be soon to be diced left over Asian marinated grilled chicken thighs.  Time was of essence and it appeared that her dog was too anxious to stick around for the dicing.  I had previously cooked left over grilled Johnsonville Italian Mild sausages in the fridge.  As we know, they come at a premium here in Panama, $7.49 to $8.15 for a five count package.  

What to do.

Of course I had no choice other than to feed this precious dog a well coveted sausage since the opportunity may never come again.   It's rare in one's life to see such a response from a living creature.  I had two left and of course I had to feed him both of them.  I couldn't have humanly possible considered walking away with any food in hand.  

Interestingly in response to this feeding the two feline regulars proceeded to repeatedly charge the dog away but he was a happy camper and left with a big smile.

I may have a new regular visitor.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1