123rd Spay/Neuter Clinic in Volcan

At this 123rd clinic, Dr. Tello sterilized 58 animals: 24 dogs and 34 cats. This brings our total of dogs and cats sterilized to 4,744. http://spaypanama-chiriqui.org/123rd.html. See photos at https://imgur.com/a/RiIpK1N

December will be a short vacation for us. A relief in a way, but sadly, that means that fewer animals will be sterilized until our next clinic on January 20, 2019. (And that clinic is almost full already!)
Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to all, and as always, love and hugs and much gratitude to Dr. Andres Tello, our wonderful volunteers, and our donors! This vital work could not be done without them!
------------------------------

Several days before the clinic when I was walking, a man told me that neighbors had moved away and abandoned a female dog. He was worried that this sweet dog would become a "puppy factory." This was near the Nueva California school. I returned home, then went in my car and brought the dog to my house where I have a place to keep a dog separate from my 19 dogs.

On clinic day I took her to be spayed. She is young and had never been in heat--and now she will never have puppies! On Monday after the clinic, I took her back to the school. She was very excited and ran to be with the school children again. People in the neighborhood feed her, so she will be fine.

------------------------------------

Also remember: I will help with animals to the best of my ability. Recently someone found a dog in horrible condition—emaciated from hunger, with worst mange I have ever seen (including bleeding sores). He had been hit by a car, had a broken hip on one side and open oozing wounds on the other hip/leg. The dog had a crappy collar around his neck attached to a wire. Someone had apparently tied him up to starve to death and he managed to break loose, only to be hit by a car.

The police had sent the woman to my house with the dog. She and her husband put the dog in the crate on the side of my house. I immediately injected him with pain medication, antibiotics, and Vitamin C. I had planned to take him to Dr. Tello at the border, but before I could do so, the dog died during the night. There was a lot of blood on his blanket in the crate, apparently from internal injuries. 

The only positive with this situation is that at least the poor dog had a warm, dry place to sleep and a full tummy for a couple of days. He ate a LOT of food and he also drank a lot of water. He obviously had been very dehydrated.  

I have experienced many situations of abuse like this and it always pains my heart deeply. I keep telling myself that I can't save them all, but nevertheless, I can't internalize the fact. My only consolation is that people who abuse animals will burn in hell for eternity!

(If you visit me regarding a problem with an animal, please call me in advance, 6517-8752 or whatsapp at 6361-3234. I am cautious about opening my gate when my employee is not present.)

-----------------------------

Again, many thanks to all! We will see you in January!
Dottie