Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
NewsLady

How to help our merchants survive until the roads are restored

Recommended Posts

Been thinking about this post. First thought was that it was a good idea. On further reflection, if the business people aren’t willing to fight for themselves, then why should others do it for them? The business people should be pounding on the mayor’s desk every day to resolve this water and road mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this entire mess is beyond the business owners and as well the Mayor at this point.  It reminds me of how Panama City business suffered along the path of the subway during its construction.  Lots of shops just went under and closed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Uncle Doug said:

Do you know that they aren't attempting to do that?

Good point. But even had they done that it didn’t work and they need a new plan.

17 minutes ago, Brundageba said:

I think this entire mess is beyond the business owners and as well the Mayor at this point.  It reminds me of how Panama City business suffered along the path of the subway during its construction.  Lots of shops just went under and closed. 

You may be right, but should they remain passive and go down the tubes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW - yesterday morning we ran errands in town between 8:30am and 10:00am, and once past the detour mess to enter, it became the most convenient we've ever experienced. We passed Romero and noticed two vacant parking spaces under the canopy, not counting the handicap space; we parked directly in front of the door at Melo; we were the only car parked on the block in front of eShop; we were the only customers at Revilla, ditto at Whole Foods; We parked directly in front of the door at Mailboxes, ditto Burbuja and the pet shop (ours was the only car on the entire block); ours was one of two cars in front of Super Baru; final stop was Organica, parked right in front. And yes, it was a bit messy getting back out, but it turned out to be an extremely efficient run: easy parking, fast service everywhere.

Edited by Jim Bondoux
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BD said:

Good point. But even had they done that it didn’t work and they need a new plan.

You may be right, but should they remain passive and go down the tubes?

Prior planning after the fact does not much good.  Large car parks on either side of town with one street open for delivery vehicles and jitney shuttle service in and out of town might have allowed workers to work on entire streets both sides and not have to deal with traffic  .    City planning.  That entire scenario would not be a bad one for this town with teeny streets.    What comes to my mind is places like downtown Shanghai with it's huge  predominate just for shoppers...another is Mackinac island in Canada that never allowed cars.  Another in Gulangu China a town that caters to musicians.  It has no cars.   You just stroll along the beautiful cobblestone streets and hear concert music waft from all sides of town.  Somehow in this modern age these towns have managed to maintain commerce and still preserve the beauty that these walkways provide. 

Here's a photo of Mackinac island,Canada:

 

 

Arrival-on-Mackinac-Island-e1357941654537.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did Mackinac Island get to Canada? Maybe it's one of those floating islands that might tip over at any time.....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Jim Bondoux said:

How did Mackinac Island get to Canada? Maybe it's one of those floating islands that might tip over at any time.....

A bit off topic but you asked.  Great Lakes.....between USA and Canada.   Beautiful place...not one car.  OOPS looks like it's in the USA.  I know Keith would know.

7967176228ace4de69795716c0caf7fc--marquette-michigan-mackinac-island.jpg

Edited by Brundageba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Brundageba said:

 

A bit off topic but you asked.  Great Lakes.....between USA and Canada.   Beautiful place...not one car.  OOPS looks like it's in the USA.  I know Keith would know.

Excuse me. How would a Canuck know about Mackinac Island?? How about someone who grew up 5 miles away and spent many summers on the island. Even owned a house there at one time and hung out with the governor's daughter. Mackinac Island is the summer home of the governor of Michigan.

Remind me again, how is this relevant to Boquete roads. Should we bring back the horses for downtown transportation?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boquete roads.   You can't widen them.   You could one way them.   Or you could turn the roads into walkways with car parks on either end of town. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One-way designations are probably the best option for Av. A Oeste and Av. Bellisario Porras, imo.

Even if the roads could be widened, the bridges are too narrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Parking along both sides of the roads doesn't help. The road behind the police station, for example, has become all but impassable because of cars parked on both sides, not to mention the big buses that park on the corner. The latter, the buses, also obscure visibility of cars coming over the bridge, whose drivers need to see to the south before turning either direction or going straight. This is dangerous. I've had a couple of close calls because I couldn't see traffic coming from that direction because a bus was parked at the corner.

Alison, the less physically fit of us would find it impossible to park in car parks on the edge of town and walk several blocks into town and return laden with groceries or other packages. Too, many of us walk as little as possible downtown to decrease the risk of falling because of the treacherous sidewalks and streets. So, although it would help, I don't think car parks alone are the solution.

I wonder what the situation is with the vacant property next to Romero. It would be great if it could be turned into a parking lot by either Romero or the municipality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bonnie said:

Parking along both sides of the roads doesn't help. The road behind the police station, for example, has become all but impassable because of cars parked on both sides, not to mention the big buses that park on the corner. The latter, the buses, also obscure visibility of cars coming over the bridge, whose drivers need to see to the south before turning either direction or going straight. This is dangerous. I've had a couple of close calls because I couldn't see traffic coming from that direction because a bus was parked at the corner.

Alison, the less physically fit of us would find it impossible to park in car parks on the edge of town and walk several blocks into town and return laden with groceries or other packages. Too, many of us walk as little as possible downtown to decrease the risk of falling because of the treacherous sidewalks and streets. So, although it would help, I don't think car parks alone are the solution.

I wonder what the situation is with the vacant property next to Romero. It would be great if it could be turned into a parking lot by either Romero or the municipality.

Local to and fro cab service to the car parks.   Creates more jobs and adds color to the town.  Second one uses no gas...solar panels.

th.jpg

img_6873.jpg

Edited by Brundageba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...