Emergency Medical Fair tomorrow October 16th

This was posted by local musician Victor Juliao today on another site with a request to SHARE

¡COMUNIDAD BOQUETEÑA!

Urgente!

IN ENGLISH:

We have an outbreak of diarrhea and vomit; we do not know if it’s the water (might be) in certain regions of Boquete, but what we DO KNOW is that we need to work together before gets more serious!

PLEASE SHARE THIS POST WITH EVERYONE YOU KNOW IN CHIRIQUI (Boquete specially); it is very easy for any of us to do this... just share post with everyone you know in this province!

My social work Foundation Tu Dia de Suerte has joined forces with Policlinica Ernesto Pérez Balladares, ALCALDIA DE BOQUETE for this Emergency Medical Fair tomorrow!

If you have employees or know someone that have kids or anyone in their family with these symptoms, please come TOMORROW Tuesday Oct 16 from 8 AM to 12 noon in the parkings of POLICLINICA ERNESTO PEREZ BALLADARES in front of the Firemen Station!

IT IS FREE FOR EVERYONE!

We have been able to obtain donations of medications and products for dehydration, antibiotics and other medicines, gallons of water for poor families.

Doctors and nurses from Policlinica Boquete and David are joining us and will be there to distribute what we have obtained with a lot of effort!

SPONSORS

Policlinica Ernesto Pérez Balladares
Alcaldia de Boquete
Dr Ruben Becerra
Agua Purissima
FletesChavale

Laboratorios Apotex
Consultorio Farmacéutico
Laboratorios Victus
Laboratorio Acino

You are all invited by the men and women in the Tu Dia de Suerte Foundation team!

image.png.8ef633066cd88973f3c67a9582c30594.png           image.thumb.png.934809d253b21098c9c46a513b58b9c6.png

Edited by Keith Woolford

1 hour ago, Moderator_02 said:

This sounds like something that MINSA should be publicly sponsoring and advertising. If anyone participates in this session, feedback would be appreciated.

I attended this morning.  I arrived at 8:20 AM and they greeted me as their first "customer."  Present was an English speaking doctor from David who was very thorough.   I explained to them that I had a mild case of diarrhea that the antibiotic that I've taken in the past (Eskapar) didn't seem to resolve it this time.  They prescribed me two medicines one of which they had on hand which I refused to allow them to keep to provide for the less fortunate, I'll go to the pharmacy and purchase them.  They had one gallon jugs of bottled water they offered me but once again I refused.

The doctor gave me their Whatsapp number to followup and stated that they visit Boquete often and to feel free to contact them.

Overall it was perhaps the best encounter I've ever had with a medical professional and it was free!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I recently spent three days in Hospital Chiriqui with acute gastroenteritis. When I asked my doctor what likely caused it, he suggested the municipal water in Boquete. This sounds like I wasn’t the first person to show up from Boquete with the problem.

• Sad 2

My hose is not on municipal water, by the way, but on the Palo Alto water system, which has never been a problem in the 12 years I’ve been here. Also, my water is treated with filters and UV light. However, I regularly eat at restaurants that are on municipal water.

Looking at various twitter images of tap water from various parts of Chiriqui, water has been coming out of the pipes dirty from numerous locations.   (I assume from various municipal water sources. )  BUT consider the amount of rain and swollen rivers which fills underground water sources.   I am wondering if that as well would impact well water sources and be overwhelming for any purification system. Merely thinking out load.

19 hours ago, Brundageba said:

What was the medicine they were giving?    What did they say was the origin of this seeming pandemic Boquete gastroenteritis that drew them here?   

They were giving away numerous antibiotics namely Eskapar.

Sorry, I did not ask about the origin of this pandemic.  In my case I'm guessing that it was municipal water due to all the ongoing recent work.  Without boil water notices I just drank it as I normally would.  Moving forward, to be on the safe side, I will no longer drink municipal water until some time after all the work has been completed.

12 hours ago, Brundageba said:

Looking at various twitter images of tap water from various parts of Chiriqui, water has been coming out of the pipes dirty from numerous locations.   (I assume from various municipal water sources. )  BUT consider the amount of rain and swollen rivers which fills underground water sources.   I am wondering if that as well would impact well water sources and be overwhelming for any purification system. Merely thinking out load.

Here's a photo of what people were doing in a rural part of Panama a few years back.  Very rudimentary. 

boquete water filtration a sock .jpg

Good for dirt  but I doubt it makes it 100%...wow.  Many many years ago Bill and I lived up in the mountains of southern Colombia .  We had a hand pump that connected to a pipe from a spring by the house.  We were living way above civilization  and at 8000 ft.   Water from that spring was clear as a bell.....and...just LOADED with Giardia and E Histolytica.  My husband who weighs 165 was weighing below 130.  Diarrhea and vomiting .  Me?  I was more paranoid and drank boiled water.  Treatment was Flagyl...Metronidazole.   You could buy it at any local grocery store.  They sold it in strips off a big wheel like those candy dots you got on a strip of paper when we were kids.  All the indians who lived around us were perpetually sick and took that med like candy.   Spring water from the top of a mountain at 8000 ft.....totally contaminated. 

14 minutes ago, Brundageba said:

Good for dirt  but I doubt it makes it 100%...wow.  Many many years ago Bill and I lived up in the mountains of southern Colombia .  We had a hand pump that connected to a pipe from a spring by the house.  We were living way above civilization  and at 8000 ft.   Water from that spring was clear as a bell.....and...just LOADED with Giardia and E Histolytica.  My husband who weighs 165 was weighing below 130.  Diarrhea and vomiting .  Me?  I was more paranoid and drank boiled water.  Treatment was Flagyl...Metronidazole.   You could buy it at any local grocery store.  They sold it in strips off a big wheel like those candy dots you got on a strip of paper when we were kids.  All the indians who lived around us were perpetually sick and took that med like candy.   Spring water from the top of a mountain at 8000 ft.....totally contaminated. 

You wrote:

"I was more paranoid and drank boiled water."

I sure hope you let the water cool down first!

That's exactly what the doctor prescribed for me yesterday, Flagyl, Metronidazol AKA Metronidazole, 500 mg.  I'm back to normal in just under 24 hours.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:20 AM, Brundageba said:

What was the medicine they were giving?    What did they say was the origin of this seeming pandemic Boquete gastroenteritis that drew them here?   

Just recovered from an almost 2 wk bout. Tried probiotics and then took eskapar and it cleared up in hours. Probably from not nuking hot water long enough for coffee. Never a problem before living for years in Bajo Boquete.