Blood Donation Needed A Pos or O Neg

There is one person, his name is CSI Bob, who needs blood today.

He is currently at Mae Louis Hospital. 

He needs 2 units of A Positive or O Negative blood.

If you are under age 65, and been in Panama for 6 months,

please call Tamara Balkenhol @ 6254-5618 for

further information & screening. 

Charlotte

From almost Paradise

6693-5005

Tamera L Balkenhol

1 hour ago, Dottie Atwater said:

It is STUPID that a blood donor be age 65 or under, especially when asking potential expat donors. After all, many (most?) expats are older than the "requirements."

Yup,  most expats are too old to donate blood; wonder why we are being asked.

Change the requirements?

21 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

No one is going to change the requirements for donors. 

Approaching friends and neighbours might help.

Paying people to donate is probably the simplest and quickest solution.

Well, finding people to pay to donate blood is not a simple and quick solution. Especially if one is incapacitated in a hospital. There must be a way to "solicit" blood donors in advance and make a list of their names, proper blood types, and contact information.... just in case. Any ideas about this, Keith?

• Upvote 1

I trust that everyone on this site, who is eligible to donate, is on the blood donor list maintained by Hospice (yes, I am).  Encourage your friends and neighbors to do so also. It is a simple process and you just might help save a fellow human being's life.  I myself, have a rare blood type, but have already been called upon to donate twice within six months.

Just my $.02?

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Whskyman said:

I trust that everyone on this site, who is eligible to donate, is on the blood donor list maintained by Hospice (yes, I am).  Encourage your friends and neighbors to do so also. It is a simple process and you just might help save a fellow human being's life.  I myself, have a rare blood type, but have already been called upon to donate twice within six months.

Just my $.02?

Yes, we both are on the Charlotte's donor list. I am a "universal donor" (O-). However, age and our frequent travels outside of Panama work against us as being acceptable.

The one time that the requirements were waived (a dire situation for the patient), I went to Hospital Chiriqui to donate, but had a really bad experience. After many hours and two chats with the attending doctor, I finally just left because my perception was that the hospital staff just didn't seem to care if I donated or not.

I am of the opinion that there needs to be a MAJOR overhaul of the blood collection and handling process for this area (and perhaps the entire country, but my experience is limited to the Chiriqui Province).

P.S., Charlotte Lintz deserves a lot of praise for the service she provides as a blood donor coordinator for our community. And a nice lady, as well.

The surgeons, hematologists, pathologists  of this country should be a unified lobby to push action. 

There are some very basic elements this country lacks considering how advanced it is in so many regards : a solid basic education system that bottom line provides books for students,  sanitation  ( open trash heaps with burning piles of smoldering trash that is full of vermin ...specifically I have Sona' in mind which is half way between Santiago and the Pacific coast)  Anyway I could go on....but there are some basics that civil societies should embrace and these are just a couple that Panama falls short on. 

Blood bank...lets hope that gets done!

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Lot of speculation there.

You're right, Keith. I won't know exactly what he died from until I speak to his sister on Saturday. I do know that Hospice couldn't find needed donors for him because of the requirements imposed by Hospital Regional. And I also know that expats have died in the past from lack of blood (according to Hospice).

I hope you're not an apologist for the way this country has laws about blood donation that are senseless and outdated. Currently the requirements are that you have to be under 65, not out of the country for six months, and not on most common medicines. These requirements eliminate about 99.9% of expat donors.

• Upvote 2

I hope you're not an apologist for the way this country has laws about blood donation that are senseless and outdated.

'Senseless and outdated' is your opinion. Maybe correct, maybe not. This is a tropical country. That may affect criteria, don't know.

Moreover, I'm not an apologist for anyone, I'm pragmatic.

We all knew the consequences of living here, or should have, before making the move.

Norms are not going to change just to accommodate expats, who are a minuscule percentage of the population.

You might want to look at the Red Cross donor requirements for the U.S.  Although there is no upper limit on age, a number of medications including blood thinners can disqualify a donor. So can recent tattoos and travel outside the U.S.

https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/how-to-donate/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-alphabetical.html

Agree that the local norms are not going to change just to accommodate expats.

Just means people coming here should be in good health and have money for their every need. I Know emergencies happen, but expats should consider their welfare before staying here too long and expecting too much help from others.

• Upvote 2