In the recent past PriceSmart changed the packaging of their hamburger meat. To my way of thinking that meant that they changed supplier. The label still says it is a PriceSmart “select offering”. Our experience is that the “new” hamburger meat is less flavorful and more tough. And perhaps a bit more gristle content. The “prior” hamburger meat was so much better.

Are we looney or do others experience the same?

On 8/24/2018 at 6:37 AM, Bud said:

In the recent past PriceSmart changed the packaging of their hamburger meat. To my way of thinking that meant that they changed supplier. The label still says it is a PriceSmart “select offering”. Our experience is that the “new” hamburger meat is less flavorful and more tough. And perhaps a bit more gristle content. The “prior” hamburger meat was so much better.

Are we looney or do others experience the same?

I've never experienced any success with Pricesmart's hamburger meat.  Not enough fat.  If I want fat, I purchase it from El Rey in David.  If I want flavor and less fat I purchase it from Super99.  If I'm creative, I mix the two.

If you've got the time and don't mind spending more, the butcher by the old Policia National headquarters usually stocks ground beef with 20 to 30% fat.  Sometimes he stocks the same but a pre-seasoned blend for a local restaurant and the flavor is off the charts.  My experience is the meat tastes better if the seasoning is ground in with the meat.  Of course he won't tell you which restaurant the blend is for. 

I just picked up five pounds of ground pork containing 30% fat from Palacio's to make Italian sausages, they do custom orders on the spot.

6 minutes ago, Siempre Soluciones said:

I just picked up five pounds of ground pork containing 30% fat from Palacio's to make Italian sausages, they do custom orders on the spot.

I also like the Palacio butcher shop. The butcher used to work in the US and he knows cuts of meat that Panamanian butchers don't know -- like a chuck roast. However, if you want a special cut (like chuck roast) you have to give him a day or so to produce. I usually buy my hamburger here. They also have great pork chops in the freezer.

Coming back from Price Smart, turn right by the DK Tire store. Go about 3 blocks. You will see the Palacio (fleabag) hotel on the left. Drive across the intersection and the Palacio butcher shop is on the left.

Also, what happened with the "price control" for carne especial? (or is it "primera?) At n Price Smart they are apparently breaking the law by vastly overcharging what the law dictates..

I really hate that store but yet I go there for the few things I can't find elsewhere. They have no idea about stocking what people really want. Mainly I buy bags (lots) of Kirkland dog food (when it's available), toilet paper, paper towels. I usually have a big list of things that I'd like to buy... like Kalamata olives, etc...you get the idea. If I'm able to to find  1/3 of what's on my list, good luck!  Do they even get a rat's patootie of what people want? Not a chance.

Also...the last two bags of red apples were mostly rotten inside. It wasn't worth my time and gasoline to return immediately from Volcan to Pricesmart and demand a refund...my chickens got the majority of the apples.

Thanks for the info about Palatio. I'm not a big meat eater, but whatever I want in the future, I'll buy from them.

I'm glad to have Pricesmart here for the FEW things I can't find elsewhere, but...

Oh...another BIG complaint...there will be a minimal of check stands opens while lines of customers are dozens deep. Does Pricesmart care? (Or even notice?) As I said, I really hate that store and their "management" that doesn't give a crap about their customers..

City mall has pretty much everything that PS has and usually a bit cheaper.  But, of course, they don't have Kirkland dog food.  Oh, and they have it "in stock".  Weused ti go to PS for paper products, better choices available at City Mall.

Edited by JohnF13

9 hours ago, JohnF13 said:

City mall has pretty much everything that PS has and usually a bit cheaper.  But, of course, they don't have Kirkland dog food.  Oh, and they have it "in stock".  Weused ti go to PS for paper products, better choices available at City Mall.

Where is City Mall? (I don’t go to David often.)9

Note to Dottie re “stocking what people really want”........I’m noticed a large increase in the number of Panamanians shopping at PS. Perhaps this store is willing to stock only what these people are wanting to buy. (Hint.....how many locals feed their dogs the Kirkland dog biscuits?) And how many gringos have requested that PS stock this item? My suggestion is ask Panamanian friends what kind of olives they like.?

I don't go to Price Smart from Volcan very often (mainly to stock on on Kirklands), but when I do, I see numerous Panamanians buying Kirkland. (When I'm in that area I also "stick my nose into other people's business" when I see them buying crap-foods and explain to them why Kirklands is the better quality. Almost every customer I've spoken to (suggesting that they READ the ingredients)  has been receptive and they've tossed the junk food back on the shelf in favor of Kirklands. (Yes, I'm a "buttinskie" and will continue to be when it comes to the health and well being of dogs.)

Don't get me wrong...if I didn't have too many dogs to make it possible, I'd not be feeding kibble at all. Although Kirkland is the better of the crap, all kibble is crap. Under my circumstances, I choose the lesser of the evils.