Linguistic Clarity - The Difference Between 'Complete' and 'Finished'

Bud

A friend recently sent me this anecdote that caused to me laugh very energetically. I then shared it with some of my local friends and they too laughed energetically. I have no idea if this event really happened, but regardless, it is worth reading for a good laugh.

No English dictionary has been able to adequately explain the difference between these two words -- COMPLETE and FINISHED. In a recently held linguistic competition in London and attended by supposedly the best in the world, Samsundar Balgobin, a Guyanese man, was the clear winner with a standing ovation which lasted over 5 minutes.

The final question was: How do you explain the difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED in a way that is easy to understand? Some people say there is NO difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED.

Here is his astute answer: When you marry the right woman, you are COMPLETE. When you marry the wrong woman, you are FINISHED. And when the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are COMPLETELY FINISHED!!

He won a trip to travel the world in style and a case of 25 year old rum.

• Haha 3

• Moderator_02 changed the title to Linguistic Clarity - The Difference Between 'Complete' and 'Finished'